How to Sell a Butcher?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by rain_king, Jun 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident Thread Starter

A couple months ago I found, in someone's garage as part of a Craigslist sale, a Beatles "Yesterday and Today" second state butcher. As for how much I paid—well, it wasn't exactly thrift store price, but it might as well have been, given how much it's worth. Needless to say, I was ecstatic about the find and still get a thrill thinking about it now.

At first I just wanted to hold onto it and enjoy having it on my shelf. Sure I could sell it and make some money, but I liked the idea of showing it to people and telling them the story of finding it (and the backstory of the album, if they didn't already know).

But recently I realized that ultimately, I'm a listener and not a *collector*. I've never much cared about having special releases, collectors' items, etc. I like having rare records and oddities as much as the next person, but I also like the idea of all the other records I could buy if I sold this one.

So, what is the best way to sell it? There are so many possible venues nowadays, and I'm wondering if any are generally better than others to sell something like this—a not-super-rare but collectible and valuable record? The condition is VG (possibly VG+) record/VG+ sleeve.

tl;dr: What are the recommended sales channels for a 2nd state butcher?

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The typical answers;
    • This forum
    • Discogs
    • eBay
    • CL

AaronW, Dave and eddiel like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

eBay. Take a zillion photos and describe it carefully.

If you don't want to risk scammers, then Craigslist. But you won't get top dollar.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Good list of options.

I would try to sell it locally first. Perhaps on CL or some local Facebook record collector groups. But focus on local groups that you can arrange drop off/pick up.

This forum is an option but you likely won't get top dollar for it here, say, vs eBay.

eBay is your best bet to get the best price. A VG+ cover will bring in a pretty penny. I see VG copies going for almost $500 USD.

5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

eBay.Lots of photos. They have dried up.

6. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident Thread Starter

eBay seems to be the consensus. What's the scammer risk though?

I guess I'm nervous about sending something like this through the mail, although I suppose if it's insured it would be OK, right? Or is that where the scamming comes in--the buyer claims it got damaged/lost?

7. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

If you don't have a $15 registered tracking number you'll be eaten alive on an overseas sale. Do a USA only sale. Sometimes registers don't get tracked at the last local address. Spain almost got me for $600 but I did stuff outside eBay to ummmm, get the truth.

8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Registered mail, whether you've sold to someone in the USA or elsewhere. No exceptions.

Dave likes this.
  9. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

USPS registered mail is good till the package crosses the US border. After that it is a crap shoot. Several years ago I lost a registered package to Italy.

10. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Forget it all. Contact Perry Cox see if he can sell it for you for a cut. He'll get gazillions more than you can hope to get as an unknown seller.

Dave and Gumboo like this.
  11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Say no more.

Gumboo likes this.
  12. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

50% commission is way too steep

13. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Deal that I had involvement in was %10 on a $1,600.00 sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.