How To Tell If Your Beatles Stereo Box Is A Fake

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by linclink, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linclink

linclink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am so glad I started this thread...I am laughing my fool head off at all the typos & stuff. I had no idea that these were blatant, & bad, but thankfully hilarious as well.
    I don't mean to make light of anyone's getting ripped of either though. I really did start this thread having read other folks anxious postings elsewhere, and hoped to provide some basic check points to hit so folks would know right away..
    I guess anyone who spent anytime with their set would know pretty darn fast, eh?
    Thanks to all those with good senses of humor who posted their bootleg box botches.
    This makes me extra glad that I couldn't wait & got mine early & from legit sources.

2. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Amazon makes mistakes too. I bought 2 Japanese cds from them and received the standard cds. I pointed out that the photo shows the cds with obi's and Japanese mini-lp packaging, to Amazons credit, they refunded my money, but the last time I looked the photos were still there.

Most of the big companies refund your money, but sometimes I'm waiting for an expensive, rare recording, and when a mistake happens, all the time I spent thinking I found the cd was a waste. Then finding it again may be harder.

3. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Oh sh^t I nearly just bought one.

4. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Hey has anyone with a fake actually opened a disk and listened? What do the CDs look like?

5. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

The CDs look fairly normal (but not great print) but have the larger transpararent section at the centre of the disc rather than the 3 or 4 mm wide section as seen on other photos and on the mono discs.

6. Mike the Fish

They have IFPIs and also have a plant name "optimal media productions" or something similar on the inner hub. The DVD looks more dodgy. Gold with no plant names on the matrix section.

7. Mike the Fish

Good point, well made. :laugh:

8. Mike the Fish

Excellent track! They made good use of the bassline as it pops up briefly on the b-side too IIRC!

9. Mike the Fish

Try £100 :shake:

10. Mike the Fish

It is also worth noting that this set used black ribbons and not red ones in the box.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well this would explain the influx of new still sealed stereo boxsets on ebay.co.uk

I'm pleased that I haven't taken the plunge yet.

Eddie

12. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Sorry, only joking as the New Year's mood kicked in. Until this thread I had no idea anyone pirated boxed sets.:shake:

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I just realized that I am a fake copy myself. I'm sorry - I shall self -destruct now....:sigh:

14. cjay

cjay Forum Resident

Simple, just look for the 'Made In China' brand name label.

15. Mike the Fish

All of the stuff on mine says made in the EU.

16. mrtownshend

mrtownshend Member

Yeah, I can't wait to hear my pirate REVOOVER on my system. My A Die Hard's Night is fantastic. I wonder if Magical Misery Time has the three fake stereo tracks at the end.

These pics are freakin' hilarious. Gotta love the music from Jon Lehnonn & Paul McArtknee.

17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The worst part of pirate copies is that it hurts purchases of the legitimate ones in more ways than one. :sigh:

18. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Ahem. Any chance of revealing the IFPI code? Some of us have databases of such things so we may be able to identify where your boxset was made. I just need the code nearest the inner rim.

The pirates sound seriously inept though - most find plants which will press discs without IFPI codes.

19. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It all makes me really happy to have bought the originals on day one at the Target store. Somehow now the FBI and Capitol logos aren't so awful after all!

Harry

20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Dudes, Page 2 & 3 of this thread are PRICELESS!

21. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

sorry but...LOL :laugh:

22. Mike the Fish

From Please Please Me:

Inner rim: IFPI B406
    (for interest, metal work says L573)

23. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

That is seriously interesting. I can't work out the B4 plant ID code because I've never seen it before. But a four-digit normally indicates a relatively established plant [they had to expand the codes to five-digits as a result of the DVD boom].

The second code is shocking. This is the mastering code - it basically identifies where the disc was mastered. L573 is a known code of an EMI subcontractor based in Germany.

For all their amateur packaging, these pirates look like serious boys - they are somehow using a legit plant and legit mastering. Someone at the mastering facilities and pressing plants, however, obviously weren't in on the scam because they didn't (couldn't?) the IFPI code etching system.

Of course, they could have faked the codes - but I have never heard of that happening. Most pirates just disable the etching device. Plus why would they use a known EMI code for one code and use an non-EMI code for the other?

24. linclink

linclink Forum Resident Thread Starter

The plot thickens!! Though I bet they just haphazardly copied stuff willy nilly & came up with whatever...not that I know jack about any of these particular issues.
    Or maybe some of the pirate crew was brilliant & well connected & meanwhile the rest of them were the idiots who provided us with all the great typo laughs in this thread...certainly quality control, proof readers & the final say folks have a whole lot to answer for here...but answer to who? The money's made, folks have been burned...funny but sad too.

25. mrtownshend

mrtownshend Member

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these!!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.