How to value a pressing with a Discogs - Never sold.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

Not obscure or anything, it's just The Doors - Strange Days that I got for... $15 I think in 2018

Tonight I double checked what pressing it actually was - I doubted it was correct, and after deadwax and other indicators I found it's apparently not common

[​IMG]

I have a few albums that are uncommon - not many haves or wants, just an uncommon album and a more uncommon pressing, but why do apparently 72 people want a copy of this pressing specifically? Not that I intended on selling it, but how does on make an estimate with these sort of records?

c-eling likes this.
  2. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Anyone's guess. The way to find out is to put it up for sale at an outrageous price and then gradually reduce it. The price it sells for is what it is worth :)

Tim

3. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Depends what condition it's in. If it's truly NM, list it for higher than 50 and see what happens for fun. Realistically I can't imagine it'll be >$50 record though. Probably going to sell somewhere under 30.

4. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Try 'popsike'.

Keam likes this.
  5. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

Exactly. Popsike, ebay, any local auction sites you know of (I'm Swedish, so I'd look at a site called Tradera for example).

sound chaser likes this.
  6. wgdrumsticks

wgdrumsticks Forum Resident

Just don’t grade something as NM that’s wrecked. It does my head in!

sound chaser likes this.
  7. sound chaser

Agree 100%. When I sell, I bend over backwards to please the buyer, yet when I buy the occasional thing such as an old 45 which was described as NM :), in reality was barely VG :(.

wgdrumsticks and vudicus like this.
  8. wgdrumsticks

wgdrumsticks Forum Resident

Very annoying isn’t it. I always send back if they are wrongly graded.

sound chaser likes this.
  9. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Could you post a link to the discogs entry because I can't find it from the info you have given and therefore not sure what makes you think it is uncommon

10. sound chaser

It is, I know I should but sometimes I can't be bothered, so rather than leave negative feedback, I won't leave any.

11. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

What you have here is a mid 70’s US pressing. It’s not really that your pressing is uncommon it just has maybe some slight deadwax variations and it’s one of those undated Discog entries that haven’t been researched enough to get an official date on. This specific variation may be a tad uncommon, maybe printed at a smaller plant in a smaller run but nothing to give it any value over other mid 70’s pressings. The best way to value it is to find the other 1975-1976 US pressings and see what they sell for. My guess is it’s worth about what you paid for it. I wouldn’t pay much attention to the want and have numbers for large classic rock releases such as this. Most people have no idea or take the time to enter their exact pressing. I doubt 72 are looking for this exact pressing but just a mid 70’s Doors pressing in general. I hope that helps.

12. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

"Wants"
    I don't think is always a good indicator of rarity. Some may just use it as a marker, or just have no clue.
    Geesh, only 15 people Want this :sigh: :laugh:
    [​IMG]

ndoheny likes this.
  13. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

That'll be about right. Might get a bit more than the $15 paid if it was a clean copy. I think it's not worth selling the odd item on ebay/discogs unless you're getting more than $25 for something, or you're selling in regular high volumes.

ndoheny likes this.
  14. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I call them garage sale records. Most of my VG/VG+ 70’s/80’s reissues of well known records. If you’re gonna sell them you throw them in a box and put a $5 or $10 sticker on them at a yard sale. Either that or sell them to a local store for pennies on the dollar. Not worth an individual eBay or Discogs sale.

15. Eleventh Earl of Mar

I have two kinds of grading

Personal bias/tolerable to me - this isn't noted when selling
    What my standards are - Can you use this as a master copy? Maybe it's NM - any minor problems, I'll use VG++ or something. Sleeve is much easier - as it goes, I have many clear NM sleeves, and those usually have those great sounding, this can be your go to release in terms of condition of the album. I've had some questionable covers that shocked me in terms of playback.

If I were to sell this one...

Sleeve - VG+
    LP - VG

On topic...

Probably correct. I mostly thought the "want" number was a lot higher than I see for these poorly documented but it's for a well known record pressing.

Most of my records are "garage sale" records. Except half of them nobody would even buy.

Blame the guy that bought up nice copies of prog folk bands no one wants at the record store for prices around or less than that

lightbulb and wgdrumsticks like this.
  16. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

What do you mean ?

17. Eleventh Earl of Mar

That's me!

18. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Story of my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.