How would "Here Comes the Sun" have done as a single for The Beatles?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

The Paul version is a D E M O, so yes a full one would be better.

Chuckee likes this.
  2. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I realize that.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I actually do think Octopus's Garden could have been a hit. :hide:

Diamond Star Halo, Hermes and Mickey2 like this.
  4. Terry

Terry Senior Member

5. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

What i believe:
    John wanted that Cold Turkey would be a single, to be recorded after the AR sessions, but the band declined.
    If this happens, the single would be release in time of Abbey Road, like they did many times.
    But with the band declined to record, Capitol noted that the album had many great times, and selected Something/Come Together.

Could be Here Comes The Sun? Sure, but in fact, this album have many great tracks to put on singles.

6. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I wonder if that was discussed, because the impression I got was that Paul and George rejected "Cold Turkey" not as a song, but just as a single, which is what John wanted to do, record it and rush release it as an A-side just like he'd done with "Ballad of John & Yoko"....But what if Paul and George shot back at John with a compromise...We'll record "Cold Turkey" quickly with you, but it's going to be the B-side to "Here Comes the Sun"...That might have worked!

7. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Surely Lennon wouldn't have gone for that.

8. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I mean he compromised on "Revolution" of all songs. Not only taking the B-side but re-recording the song faster as well. It's possible he'd have taken the b-side or a double A-side with "Here Comes The Sun" in order to get a Beatles recording of "Cold Turkey" done and out to the public fast.

9. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Double A possibly, not B-side to a George song.

10. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

Nothing but thats not what you originally said, originally you made a statement that no Beatles record ( aside from Cold Turkey which wasn't a Beatles record anyway ) had failed to make number 1 in 1969, but when it was pointed out that in the UK Something had only made number 4, to which your response was :-
    but then if you were only referring to the USA you make an epic fail on Ballad which did not make number one in the states.

Anyway this is becoming tedious now and of little import, if you can't see the contradictions in your postings then I'll do as you so politely PM'd me and s*d off.

11. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Here Comes The Sun b/w Something; their best single since Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever and this time from one composer!

12. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Published on Jul 10, 2019

13. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I've always felt that song was overplayed and overrated. Still would've been a hit.

DK Pete likes this.
  14. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

I remember reading Carl Sagan long time ago, this song was candidate for appearing into the gold disk they put in a Voyager spacecraft in 1977 as a message for aliens. I thing I read the four beatles agreeded, but in the end legal aspects (copyrights or something like that) were not solved in time and prevented that

15. bobc

bobc Bluesman

It would have been mega. All the kids would have sung it on the way to school and their parents would have bought it.

16. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Top 10, but not #1

17. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

$1 with a bullet

18. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Octopus' Garden would be a perfect B Side and make some good money for Ringo and George

19. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Would have been one of their biggest of all time.

20. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

No #1 magic, huh? So why has HCTS arguably become the Beatles’ best-known song during the past 50 years, despite not being a single?

I mean, even the arrangement screams “#1 hit.” The song starts of with the chorus, it is the perfect length, and it has hooks galore. It is upbeat and poppy. A great recording, a fantastic song.

jwb1231970, Binni and Horse Brunsby like this.
  21. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Shoulda been a single with "Something" as a double-A side. The other single could be A:Come Together/B:Oh Darling.

22. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Here comes the sun/octopus garden. I actually love that

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm a Beatles fanatic by just about any known measure but I've never felt that HCTS was one of George Harrison's greatest songs *ever*. For me it falls into that Beatle category of good/very good song elevated to greatness via the way it was recorded/produced. Without question in my mind, it's one of the top three best sounding tracks on Abbey Road (if not *the* best)and on that level, I love listening to it on its' own and within "album context". But for my ears and money, I'll take the likes of savoy Truffle and Old Brown Shoe any day over HCTS.

Scott S. and Hermes like this.
  24. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

But it's a good song for children. Like Octopussy's Garden..

25. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

>>>>>>Where did you get the idea that HCTS has become the Beatles’ best-known song during the past 50 years?
    It wasnt even released as a single.
    I can think of MANY that would slot in before HCTS:

Yesterday
    A Hard Days Night
    Get Back
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Let It Be
    All You Need Is Love
    Hey Jude
    Help!
    Something
    I Want To Hold Your Hand