How would you grade vinyl that is covered in light surface scratches?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by sunking101, Feb 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought a used OOP LP for $20 on the basis it was EX/EX condition as described. The sleeve is VG tops for me but it's the vinyl I'm most concerned with. I have never seen so many surface scratches in my life and the seller says that these are permitted under the EX grading. Is this correct?
    *I haven't played it yet because it needs a clean.

2. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

3. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Sorry, you got ripped off. EX should not have numerous scratches. Check their return policy.

sunking101 likes this.
  4. I would say scratches of any sort are not permitted, but depending on my motives for buying the record and how bad the scratches are - like, are they the sort of surface scuffs that don't affect play? - I might not get too arsed about it. I certainly wouldn't deal with that seller again though.

forthlin and sunking101 like this.
  5. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

That condition sounds like Poor, Fair or Good at best.

sunking101 likes this.
  6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

It seems to me that buying vinyl on line is becoming more and more risky these days. I had a similar experience this past summer, and the seller claimed his grading fell within the NM- category...……..It was not even close. He was not willing to let me return it for a full refund until I started threatening negative feedback. I hate being that way, but it was the only way I was able to get a full refund.

sunking101 likes this.
  7. sunking101

When I first took it out of the sleeve I was very disappointed. For a record described as 'excellent' I wasn't expecting a ton of surface scratches. They are literally everywhere. Light but totally noticeable even under mediocre illumination.

8. How old is the vinyl? Is it a recent pressing within the last 15 years? Are the scratches, scuffs from manufacture?

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Can you post a picture of it? And where did you buy it? eBay...Discogs?

10. sunking101

32 years old but still, EX is EX...
    They seem to me to be handling/storage scratches. From sliding in or on something. They aren't scuffs or needle scratches.

CCrider92 likes this.
  11. sunking101

Will try later. My old pic hosting site has gone down, who do you guys use?

12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Perhaps the inner sleeve...…….some of those inners are made from material that should never touch vinyl.

14. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

If the scratches are inaudible that's one thing. If they are audible, I wouldn't sell it. And that's how I have 100% feedback here and on eBay (which I don't use anymore.)

15. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I've got lp's that have all sorts of surface marks/ blemishes/scratches and they play perfectly; other lp's would be rated mint by their looks and they are filled with surface noise. Because of cosmetics I'd rate the first group that I mentioned as VG+; the second group would be fair to poor.

dman23 and Rickchick like this.
  16. Interesting that you say the scratches aren't needle scratches. But hairlines from sliding in and out of the sleeve?

Was this bought on eBay, Discogs, etc.,?

The Ex grading is always troubling. It is the realm of the over grader.

17. SRC likes this.
  18. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Unworthy / unsellable

Rickchick likes this.
  19. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

EX/EX is part of a visual grading system. I use the Goldmine grading system and in that system VG+ is the same as Excellent. I pasted the description of EX below.

"VG+ records may show some slight signs of wear, including light scuffs or very light scratches that do not affect the listening experience. Slight warps that do not affect the sound are OK. Minor signs of handling are OK, too, such as telltale marks around the center hole, but repeated playing has not misshapen the hole. There may be some very light ring wear or discoloration, but it should be barely noticeable."

For me under a bright light EX could have a few paper scuffs. A few meaning 3 or 4 or less, and small ones. None can be deep enough to where your fingernail catches it. Anything more than that then you downgrade to VG, VG - or Good. And trust me most records that are graded good are simply just no good. Yours sounds like Good, but without seeing it under a bright light I just can't be sure.

sunking101 likes this.
  20. sunking101

I'll try and get a photo up in the next couple of hours. Thanks for your assistance peeps.:righton:

21. sunking101

22. sunking101

23. sunking101

24. sunking101

25. sunking101

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.