How would you rate "Diamond Dogs" (1974) by David Bowie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Says who?

2. Mountain Cowboy

Mountain Cowboy Forum Resident

So-so, not great but not bad.
    He has a way better albums.

3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

on the contrary, i asked what tracks you thought were so good. you evaded the question then and have now done so again, which is a little odd on a discussion forum.
    hardly life and death, but thanks for logging in and the patronising post. so much for not being rude.

strummer101 and e.s. like this.
  4. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Perfect Side A

Weak Side B

5. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

perfect first line
    weak second line

GarySteel, sekaer, oldturkey and 3 others like this.
  6. zrong

zrong Censored

Essential only for fans of the legend or glam rock / proto punk and I rate him very high. The album is good but you can feel he tried more input in production and mixing than the concept - very impressive nonetheless - resulting in a collection of songs that sound like his own Pin Ups part II. No surprise after the massive success in U.S. and the production and mixing of Raw Power. As for weak Side B - We are the Dead - worth the album alone for any fan.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Definitely agree with this!

Chrome_Head, sunspot42 and oldturkey like this.
  8. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

Diamond Dogs is my favorite Bowie album. I guess it helps that my favorite book of all time is 1984.

Chrome_Head and sunspot42 like this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Last really good one.

10. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

Side B weak? No way! That's the most important part of the album!

We Are the Dead / 1984 / Big Brother / Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family

If you have read George Orwell's 1984, this sequence, and the way it ends are terrifying, but extremely entertaining. And the last track says more with it's few words than the previous tracks combined. It is a chant of coming to grips with, and acceptance of fate.

11. alexpop

Every album that came after was important, but imo retrospectively palls in comparison to Diamond Dogs.

sekaer likes this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Purple Jim.
    I was listening to Billion Dollar Babies the other day and I could here the theatrical/cinematic atmosphere of thing and it's very similar to the mood and music of Diamond Dogs.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  13. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

It's in my top five Bowie albums.

JcS

14. Joey Self

Yeah, for me, only LOW comes close of those that followed, and I'd put DD ahead of it.

JcS

15. alexpop

Way ahead!!!
    LOW is only half a album,has anybody played side 2 more than once ( if that).

16. Joey Self

Yes. I've played it many times.

Edit: Just looked at the Wikipedia entry, and I think a lot of people have flipped it onto side two:

Low appears on a number of critics' "best album" lists. Pitchfork placed it at number 1 on the website's "Top 100 Albums of the 1970s".[8] In 2000 Q placed Low at number 14 in its list of the 100 Greatest British Albums Ever.[9] In 2003, the album was ranked number 249 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.[11] In a retrospective review, The Rolling Stone Album Guide states "it's the music of an overstimulated mind in an exhausted body [...] sashays through some serious emotional wreckage".[51] Philip Glass based his 1992 classical composition Low Symphony on Low, with Bowie and Eno both influencing the work.[52] In 2013, NME listed the album as the 14th greatest of all time.[10]

JcS

sunspot42 and alexpop like this.
  17. alexpop

:cheers: :D

18. Joey Self

You replied before I got my edit posted. See above :)

JcS

19. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

:wave::righton::cool:

20. alexpop

Wiki
    Comments mean nothing to me, sorry.

21. Joey Self

I wasn't implying you should change your opinion because I--and others--have a different one; I was just responding to the notion that only side 1 of LOW was played after the first time. The second side was played LESS when I was listening to it, I grant you that. I had to be in the mood to hear it; side one was more accessible and undemanding of my attention to enjoy it.

JcS

22. alexpop

It was ( side 2) atmospheric in 1977, brave new world futurism, no doubt with Eno's help. Ironically I went off him after Another Green World.

23. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

S0 so. Don't care for the "Orwellian" thing, and I like the hits better live.

24. Joey Self

Yeah, I think that was my first exposure to Eno (LOW), and a review I read at the time gave him a lot of credit for what was on the LP. Therefore, I gave Eno a lot of credit--and still do, now that I've learned more about it.

My Eno collection is probably more than most people in the world, but I am certainly not a devotee. I think I have everything up to APOLLO except DISCREET MUSIC, plus the Cale and Byrne collaborations, NERVE NET, THE DROP and ANOTHER DAY ON EARTH. There may be another title or two I'm not remembering as I sit here (well, I just remembered the Harold Budd album, whatever it was called). Just about every one has a track or segment I find interesting, and few are pleasing from start to finish.

Just about like most Bowie albums, come to think of it.

Thread hijack over...

JcS

25. kokishin

kokishin Forum Resident

Great album!

If possible, DD needs to be released in multichannel.

sunspot42 likes this.