How would you rate Justin Hayward as a singer song writer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coot, Sep 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Right. Peerless. There's some objectivity.

2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The thread title asks how YOU would "rate" Hayward.

And to the point, I rate him as peerless. I don't think anybody else ever really did what he did. He did have a lot of influence and people who tried to do what he did, but who could he compared with? Bob Dylan? Neil Young? Paul Simon? Jagger/Richards? I don't see any of those as comparable as they are in such different musical territory. Maybe Lennon/McCartney..........

3. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Top flite... A++... unurpassed
    And a fine guitarist as well. Incredible combination of talents. Across the whole spectrum of musicianship, there's simply none finer.

coot likes this.
  4. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Great songwriter and vocalist. I like John Lodge and Ray Thomas too.

Hep Alien and Brian Kelly like this.
  5. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

I wonder who was 101st, to be bounced by the clearly inadequate strumming of Bjorn and Benny. They should demand a recount.

Back on topic, I think he was a victim of the MB’s democratic approach to song writing. I’d have preferred more Justin, less Graham and Ray

Elmer McMuffin likes this.
  6. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

He is an excellent singer and very good songwriter

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

How old are you Tim? I’d like to know what demands are being made of them

8. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I'm 59, but without going into detail (or looking for sympathy) there's a good chance they'll all outlive me :(

9. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Sorry I’ve put my foot in it. I hope you’ve got a lot more spins of the turntable in you.

ARK likes this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Would not consider him for top 500.
    I enjoy White Satin. Can't say anything else I have heard from him (or MBs in general other than their cover of Go Now) impressed me.

11. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Not at all. And thank you

12. Houston_Music_Fan

Houston_Music_Fan Forum Resident

The Moodies are tied for my favorite band of all time, so I believe Justin is great. From the 60s up till the 2010s, he's delivered. I enjoy his solo work too. Moving Mountains from 1985 is an underrated gem. His most recent album, which came out in 2013, showed he still has it. He's slowed down since then, recording wise, and I wish he hadn't stopped making new Moody Blues music almost 20 years ago. Still, no denying his talent. A track from the 2013 album:

13. coot

coot Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would compare him talent wise to Glen Campbell but a more prolific songwriter. For me I love the melancholy wall of sound when paired with Mike Pinder's mellotron. It transports you into musical nirvana. That pairing was gone after the 7th album but Mr Hayward had some nuggets along the Moody's musical journey...:wave:

Hep Alien, Timjosephuk and Fischman like this.
  14. Fischman

I dunno'.... seems to me he's got a couple beauts on Octave (especially Driftwood) and I still live Long Distance Voyager.... and then there's Running Water on The Present which is as beautiful as anything he's ever done.

15. Fischman

Moving Mountains.... Yes!!!

I also love Songwriter and Night Flight

16. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

Just cannot say enough about Justin's greatness. The other members of the Moodies have had some very high moments indeed and are each truly 1/4 of the MBs. For me, Ray wrote and led some incredibly touching performances. Justin's excellent and emotive vocals supported his prolific writing. Such high quality songs (and "just perfect" guitar playing ony added to the fact that he was the only (non-bass) guitar player in a primarily guitar-centric band. THAT is an extremely high level of focused creativity driven by a personal and socially conscious man... and he is still doing it. He is the main reason that for many, if not most, MB fans, their love of the band is just so damned personal. Oh, and I guess I like a little bombastic here and there.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Hep Alien, RicZ, Timjosephuk and 2 others like this.
  17. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

One of my favourite artist and I do think he doesn't get the recognition he deserves.
    Not only a great songwriter but also vocalist and fantastic guitarist.
    Really love his guitar sound.

A bit of shame though that nowadays he doesn't feel the need to express his views on what's going on in the world.
    Especially in his solo work it's mostly love songs, and all very laid back,
    no songs like "Question" anymore, even though we still had songs like "English Sunset" and "Strange Times" on the "Strange Times" album.
    I don't want him to be like Roger Waters, but I do miss the songwriting of the early years.

That said his latest album is very worthwhile.
    And then there are some very nice stand alone songs released recently.
    "The Wind of Heaven" is a beautiful song.
    "One Summer Day" is a nice little acoustic song,
    while "My Juliette" hints at the old Moody Blues sound.
    A late favourite!
    A nice surprise to have.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Hep Alien and Timjosephuk like this.
  18. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Dunno.
    I think he’s the type of artist where you have to be a musician to appreciate him.
    Great singing voice.
    Master songwriter
    Excellent guitar tone.

Hep Alien, rancher and Timjosephuk like this.
  19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I sing, play guitar and keys, write songs and lead a band.
    Not that any of that seems relevant.
    He's just never grabbed me as a songwriter other than that one tune nor impressed me as a player.
    He has a strong voice and had good hair when he was young.

20. manco

manco Forum Resident

The only thing he ever did that was on the 'greatness' scale was Nights in White Satin.

21. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I think Justin had a lot of great moments. I’m a big fan. My problem is that I’ve moved on. The great moments were 50 years ago. Besides us fans dusting off some old classics, the world just does not relate to him

22. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I rate Justin very high as a singer; a songwriter; and as a guitarist. And as an arranger.

Here’s a question: minus the band each belonged to (and the output, etc)...who would you choose to be in your band - Justin Hayward or David Gilmour?

rancher likes this.
  23. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

To be fair, let me also say I don’t want or think Justin should have become Taylor or Post Malone. That was never going to be in his style, whatever year. I just mean that his finest work was so long ago. The music world has passed him by. I still appreciate him and listen to the old stuff, just not sure many others do

24. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Well, I say Justin, but then again I’m only marginally into PF

25. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Sure if you think that it's fine.
    If you have delved deeper into his work and really think "Nights in White Satin" is the only great song.
    However I can't agree with just dismissing Justin Hayward as the guy who just wrote "Nights in White Satin".

Anyway there is lots of great songs on the first 7 classic albums alone.
    So much more than just "Nights in White Satin".
    Even if you just got stuck on their first album with Justin and John Lodge,
    you will find a classic song on there called "Tuesday Afternoon".

Timjosephuk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.