Howard Jones - super deluxe editions of first two albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by negative1, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I think the pairing of 12" Album + Action Replay worked best. Instead of some random Japanese release with a photo from 1986 or 1987. But then I guess the HoJo team (being the genius unit they are) are just looking at new ways to milk the catalogue.

I've really liked the deluxes of One To One, Cross That Line and In The Running. I felt they were stylishly done. The BBC box was poorly designed and conceived (tracklisting-wise) but was wonderfully cheap in digital form.

This, I can do without.

EG.

c-eling and Thorpy like this.
  2. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

@Eric_Generic
    Maybe you can help a Discogs user with a question about Cross That Line:
    Howard Jones – Cross That Line (2020, CD) - Discogs
    The album tracks on CD1 are faster and pitched higher than those on the 2012 remaster. I don't have an original issue CD to compare them to. Is it the case that the songs play at the proper speed on this edition, and they are accidentally slower on the 2012 edition?

3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

From memory, I think the problematic version is the 2012 dTox one. I have all 3 versions, so I might do some comparisons to be sure.

EG.

c-eling likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

The old US runs 48:26 if anyone needs timing's for comparisons.

humanracer and Eric_Generic like this.
  5. humanracer

What is the main differences with this mix?

6. c-eling

20 seconds longer :D

Eric_Generic likes this.
  7. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Guys!

I browsed the Cherry Red website and saw that the first two albums will be released on black vinyl on the 29th of april 2022.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/?s=Howard+Jones&post_type=product&et_search=true

I got the original Human's Lib on vinyl which sounds good to my ears.

I remember reading about the white vinyl remaster and the green for Dream into action. But I can't quite remember how the conclusion was...

I want Dream into action - should I wait or get an original (8€ in my region for a NM copy)?

Bye Andrea :wave:

Eric_Generic and c-eling like this.
  8. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I have the box sets with picture disc. I haven't listened to them so unfortunately I couldn't comment. Typically from my understanding is that they tend to have a lot of surface noise and aren't really for playing.

I have both the UK version and Canadian pressing with slightly different track listings. They are both in amazing condition and sound fantastic. I couldn't imagine them being improved upon.

9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'd be very surprised if a new pressing would sound better than an original/earlier pressing in good condition.

EG.

10. c-eling

Agreed Eric.
    The picture discs suck, no clue why they wasted resources doing them. Completely un-necessary.
    If they use the extended What Is Love again like they did for the PD, you'll know the same mastering is used.
    Action-I had to grab the old German ARUN cut for the Euro tracklist. Nice sounding. Looks like the old UK uses his cut also.
    Andrea, I'd stick with your old Human's Lib. If it's anything like the US Calbi cut there's no need to go further :)

11. humanracer

12. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

If anyone falls on the sword and picks up the 12”ers set (this coming Friday I think?) let us know what you think of the mastering. Of course, perhaps no one will since it’s rightly suspected these won’t differ much, if at all, from what’s been released previously.

13. humanracer

OK I guess

DR11 -0.06 dB -11.96 dB 4:28 01-Always Asking Questions [2021 Remaster]
    DR11 0.00 dB -12.06 dB 5:24 02-New Song [New Version, 2021 Remaster]
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.63 dB 6:36 03-What Is Love? [Extended Mix, 2021 Remaster]
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.98 dB 7:34 04-Like To Get To Know You Well [International Mix, 2021 Remaster]
    DR11 0.00 dB -12.02 dB 6:39 05-Pearl In The Shell [Extended Mix, 2021 Remaster]
    DR12 0.00 dB -13.08 dB 6:59 06-Total Conditioning [2021 Remaster]
    DR8 0.00 dB -9.77 dB 7:28 01-Things Can Only Get Better [Extended Mix]
    DR11 -0.33 dB -12.32 dB 4:54 02-You Jazzy Nork!
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.32 dB 7:15 03-Life In One Day, Pt. 2
    DR9 0.00 dB -10.77 dB 9:05 04-Look Mama [R.H. Version]
    DR8 0.00 dB -9.40 dB 7:28 05-Bounce Right Back [Extended Mix]
    DR8 -0.40 dB -10.78 dB 8:35 06-Hide and Seek [Extended Mix]

pudgym, VeeDub, ispace and 3 others like this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

c-eling likes this.
  15. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

humanracer likes this.
  16. c-eling

I'd open it up an play it Jeff. For some of the tune's it's probably the best we're going to get on digital. (Disc Two)
    The mastering's look similar (where they apply) to the box set which I didn't find too awful.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    JeffMo and Eric_Generic like this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thanks Cory - since I didn’t buy any of the SDE sets disc two will be a fun listen for me!

jamesc and c-eling like this.
  18. c-eling

You didn't want those totally awesome picture discs? :laugh:

JeffMo, Eric_Generic and jamesc like this.
  19. humanracer

20. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

Strange that the website info says "CD and DVD set featuring the full concert remastered from the original master tapes and restored to its original running order" but the track listings for the CD and DVD are different.
    Still its a definite purchase for me.

humanracer likes this.
  21. vvmax

vvmax Forum Resident

Great to hear that these are getting rereleased on black vinyl! Great albums, particularly Humans Lib.

22. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Given that every Human's Lib mastering (not sure on the old Japan though) used the same digital source, is it possible that the album might've been mixed digitally? If the regular and extended CD versions of What Is Love are the same mix, then could it have been edited to fit the vinyl and cassette? I also saw that some of the tracks (aside from the rough mixes) on disc 2 of the deluxe edition have a similar 20 kHz cutoff to the standard album, which would probably indicate it's a digital mix. I could be wrong on this, but it's just a thought.

c-eling likes this.
  23. c-eling

Good possibility, I think he was using analog synth's then -Roland's
    It's tough to decipher due to the old converters, you'll notice a 20 cut on quite a few old compact discs.
    The Cassette could of easily fit the 12 inch. Still complexing though.

Eric_Generic and DiabloG like this.
  24. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

FWIW there is no SPARS code on the 1984 CD release, thus hard to tell. Out of curiosity, what gave you the idea that the different mastering use the same digital source? Are they bit-identical, including the original release?

25. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

The synths used have nothing to do with the recording device though.

You mean as opposed to the theoretical 22.05 kHz? I think red book defines an audio bandwidth of 20 kHz only.

c-eling likes this.