Howard Jones - super deluxe editions of first two albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by negative1, Sep 6, 2018.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:agree:
    One nice thing, they aren't bricked, peaks and valleys are kept intact
    Equality sample-
    I was hoping they would of 'warmed' things up a bit, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
    Dropbox - 64%2F30%2F200000305103129_S64.mp3

DiabloG and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. c-eling

Think for the main albums they used existing mastering's. Probably why the flub-up- they would of had to go back to original tapes for the 'lp' version. Or source the digital from the hits comp.

DiabloG and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It’s looking like a pass for me at the moment.:)

Can’t believe they haven’t included the original LP version of What Is Love again.

c-eling likes this.
  4. c-eling

Laziness, i'm sure. Knowing what they use for the new vinyl will be the clue. But i'm not going to be the guinea pig for that one, already have a nice old US :laugh:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

You mean a super deluxe edition? Human Racing & The Riddle are available as 2CD deluxe editions with some witty booklet comments from Nik. There are many demo versions of Human Racing tracks that could have been used though...

I would love to see expanded reissues of Radio Musicola and The Works. Nik's one of the most underrated singer/songwriters to come out of the UK.

Thorpy, Talisman954 and longdist01 like this.
  6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

That unboxing/visual review of the super deluxe sets convinced me not to buy them until/unless they get significantly discounted. I'll probably just opt for the 2cd/1dvd sets.

Futurecity likes this.
  7. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Sounds good, though I can't tell for certain if they used the old mastering yet. Any chance that you could upload a lossless sample from this and DIA if you have it yet?

8. c-eling

DiabloG likes this.
  9. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Re: What Is Love? shorter version not included - is this based on listening to Amazon MP3s [which sometimes are not right] or is it from the actual physical release.

10. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Well I've checked the deluxe release out on Spotify and it's the long version that's on the main album.

nlgbbbblth likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The deluxe/expanded edition on Spotify is the 2011 one. The 2018 Cherry Red remaster isn’t on there (yet).

DiabloG and nlgbbbblth like this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

A fair point, that I would be glad to respond to. People who don't like (or at least don't want) surround, don't like paying for 5.1. Yet people like me, who want surround, don't like paying for an LP, a booklet or a double-embossed replica of an authentic drivers' license photo, or whatever they throw in there to earn that "deluxe" sobriquet.

But to me this is just "coalition marketing": just as two or three parties compromise their platforms to achieve a parlimentary majority, a "super-deluxe-fancypants Edition" cannot be possible without appealing to different fanbases. The surround fan, f'rinstance, is helping make it possible for the vinyl enthusiast to have a decently-done remastering of tracks on wax. Everybody pays, but, everybody wins.

So, beyond the obvious rejection of the notion that, "they don't represent the original music", who's to say the artist didn't have something like this in mind from the get-go, but didn't have the tech or budget to do it in his salad days. Who's to say Alan Parsons didn't have a vision of jet airplanes and grandfather clocks walkin' across your living room floor when he made Dark Side (in fact, thanks to his own original quad mix, we have evidence). And naturally I'm perfectly fine with hearing the same balance of instruments and recording technique presented in six speakers, that represents the sound I remember from my stereo version, and accepting it as an "authentic" re-presentation of "the original music", because it IS - it's right there, off the same multis that went into the 1970's studio master! Of course it's the original music, what are you talking about!
    But, so long as your opinion is still helping finance the deluxe releases I myself wish to be able to buy, I wholeheartedly support (if not agree with) your opinion! :cheers:

scobb likes this.
  13. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I'm pretty sure if the extended What is Love was used twice on the CD, then someone would've caught that. For the vinyl remaster, I'm assuming the standard version will be used since China Dance isn't on the tracklisting. And if that's the case, it would make even less sense to not have the shorter version on the CD. If you're going to pull out the original tapes (assuming the new vinyl actually utilized them), why not just use them for both formats as opposed to recycling an already existing mastering for the CD?

14. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

A comment from Glenn on SDE page re What Is Love

"The CD version of the Humans Lib album was put out just as the CD was released ( except originally in Japan) with the Extended version of What is Love?
    However, the version on CD 2 may seem the same, but for some special audiophiles and superfine out there, they will notice that at 2:52 on the extended version (Track 2)on the album CD there is a vocal/drums breakdown.
    On the 12 inch mix the vocals have a 2 beat delay (echo) effect causing the words “what is love” and “does anybody” to repeat.
    The effect does not appear in the long version used on the CD album. Other than that they’re pretty much, if not exactly, the same but different at the same time."

c-eling likes this.
  15. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

I ordered both deluxe box sets.
    Still waiting on them to arrive to the US.
    Early Christmas present to myself.

16. Talisman954

Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones what talent those guys had.

17. Talisman954

Yazoo 4 Pieces vinyl avoid like the Plague.
    Awful pressing.
    Paid nearly 100 uk pounds for it, and the vinyl sounds like crap.
    The cd set is ok of course.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

Can anyone please post DR values for these editions? I'm not buying anything these days anymore before I know for sure I'm not getting a bunch of brickwalled crap for my money.

Futurecity likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Cheers mate ... i stopped doing vinyl, due to consistent huge pruce plus poor quality.

Talisman954 likes this.
  20. Talisman954

Yup
    I own these both
    Awesome deluxe sets.

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So let us buy the brick walled crap so you can save your money? Naw....I’m good.

22. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

Lol... I did "take one for the team" many, many times in the last years. Now its your turn! :)

c-eling likes this.
  23. c-eling

I did notice the slight difference in timing. Thanks for the info :cheers:

24. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Yes, I would also like to know how these 2018 remastered CDs sound, especially for the Dream Into Action reissue?

For example, how is the volume level for the CDs and is there good tone and bass or are these CDs a little too bright perhaps?

25. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I was just on Spotify and they list 2011 on top for the reissues, but next to each song it does say 2018 remaster, and at the very bottom in small print it does say 2018 Cherry Red Records.

Bobby Morrow likes this.