Howard Jones - super deluxe editions of first two albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by negative1, Sep 6, 2018.

1. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I should be receiving the 2 CD/1 DVD editions on the Friday. Will do a shootout between the new ones, the Targets, and the 2010 remaster of Human's Lib (don't have the previous Dream reissue).

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

That would be great.

DiabloG likes this.
  3. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan Thread Starter

that's quite a stretch, and comparing apples to oranges.

if you are even suggesting that a quad recording of an album is the equivalent
    to a modern day surround sound mix, no. not quite.

and to even think howard jones has any artistic aspirations to make something
    work in the surround format. again, no.

there's a gimmicky reason surround setups for music, and 5.1 releases for retro
    material don't do well. it's because people don't want them, or think they are worth
    repeatedly listening to. sure, you can enjoy them once or twice, but after the novelty
    wears off, what is the point.

sure, any artist that approached, and told they can have yet another format, and
    maybe a few more sales, would wonder about it. but the hassle of getting it
    remastered, remixed, and properly converted, and the cost are probably the
    main reasons this format, and option is one that the majority of groups will
    never consider.

but if you still have hope, paul sinclair is posting an interview with howard jones,
    and i think the question of surround mixes comes up, we'll see. but that still
    doesn't change my opinion of what i think their impact is.

i actually own quite a few 5.1 mixes from some groups, but only because
    i use them to rip the individual tracks to make my own custom mixes, etc
    for my own entertainment.

later

Juggsnelson likes this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Both go in mouth, both go in belly, both go...elsewhere - in the same direction...:shrug:

No, I am suggesting the concept of the (artificially-created, by the way) stereo soundstage is not the only way to envision music; in fact, artists who perform onstage, experience music all around them - ask any bassoon player.

Golly, how would I know that; he's already released these three examples:
    howard jones dot com - The Official Howard Jones Website

*cough*StevenWilson*cough*QuadraphonicQuad.com*cough*RobertFripp*cough*ATMOS*cough*IanAnderson*cough*Dutton-Vocalion*cough* - sorry, I seem to have something in my throat...you were saying...?

*cough*every-damn-DVD-and-Blu-ray-player-on-Earth-a-significant-number-of-whom-chose-to-set-them-up-for-surround-themselves*cough* - I'm sorry, do you have a lozenge...?

Gee, if only people would own a few 5.1 mixes from some groups, but only because they use them to rip the individual tracks to make their own custom mixes, etc for their own entertainment, they might begin to appreciate the possibility others might consider surround sound if only the industry didn't confuse them so much about it, or put negative opinions out about a craft they themselves use for their own edification...:idea:

:doh:

5. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

I think the early 80s were an era of experiment with technology and song structure techniques in the area of modern pop music of the time. This incessant drive and leaning towards experimentation is the essence of what makes certain 80's synth pop sound so unique. I think if the musicians and engineer and producers had had access to capable surround sound technology, they would have probably found ways to use it.

6. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

However much I like modernity, surround sound is not all its cracked up to be. I picked up a couple of fancy pants over priced blue ray surround sound releases of my favorite records. I listened to them once or twice. The technology wasn't that over whelming to justify constantly listening to only that edition of the music release. I still get the greatest amount of pleasure listening to the way the releases were made just because the central main ingredients with with i identify with those releases is contained in the songs, the lyrics, performances and production at the time they were created. The final physical format of the songs or record is the snapshot in history of what those particular group of people that made that music release did at that time. If all the exact same people involved were ever to get together again and try to make the same thing, it would not sound the same. This applies to Pink Floyd records, Genesis records (of which all the members are still alive) as well as 80s synth pop icons like Howard Jones, Human League, Nik Kershaw and their like.

7. Bobby Morrow

I don’t think a surround mix hurts. Especially on such expensive boxes as the Howard Jones ones. There are always some people who’d love it. I’ve always found it distracting myself. Much prefer a good stereo mix. Another let down with the HJ releases is the lack of Hi Res layers. That might have swung it for me..

8. Dillydipper

We're just two different consumers/fans with different interests and fascinations, is all.

Now, just replace the word, "surround" in your post with "stereo", and imagine it coming from your granddad, in the late-50's. ;)

9. Dillydipper

Exactly my main point, above and beyond the validity of surround: various parts of the package appeal to various parts of the audience. So instead of all the "surround is a gimmick"/"surround isn't the way I remember it"/"surround is the devil"...why can't the anti-surround crowds just consider, "surround may be the feature that will bring more fans to this project I'd like to see on shelves as well".

Stop harping on the validity of stores selling a baby seat for cars, just because you don't have a baby.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Glad you ordered these...please post your sound quality thoughts on the 2018 CDs after you've had the chance to hear them...I'm especially interested in the Dream Into Action 2CD/1DVD set, which I plan to get if it sounds good and if the volume level isn't too loud.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  11. Futurecity

Yes, good question...I would also like to know the DR numbers, hopefully these aren't too loud or worse.

Vandenville likes this.
  12. Futurecity

Yes, after seeing that video it appears the Super Deluxe Boxes are way overpriced for the content included, and only contain 1 extra CD and DVD and don't even have a special booklet or a hardcover book?

13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Here's hoping that the other stuff in the boxes is released separately or that the price of the boxes comes down significantly. I would like some of the material exclusive to the boxes, but not at $100 per pop.

DiabloG likes this.
  14. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I would bought a 180 gram double album release.
    Sheesh!
    Not interested in PICTURE DISC

15. Futurecity

Yes, I agree. I would really like that Live In Japan concert DVD that's in the DREAM Box, but yeah, I'm not about to pay near $100 just to get the DVD?

16. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

The Howard Jones boxes arrived.

The SDE video doesn't do them justice. In the flesh they don't feel cheap.

Human's Lib

Tour programme has good info and timeline.
    Played the cassette demo - great stuff. Really nice touch.
    And watched the Live In Japan DVD - very enjoyable. Fans enthusiastic and sedate at different times. Nice external footage. Very evocative of 1984 and really captures the era - it took right back to my school days, getting the 12" Album for Christmas, thinking of my parents etc.

Dream Into Action
    Bigger tour programme (full size) but just lyrics and good photos.
    Played the picture disc LP - decent enough pressing.

Negatives: the booklet inside the 2CD+DVD sets has small type - found it hard to read.
    Considering buying the coloured vinyl LPs too as I see the notes are reproduced on the inner sleeve (but is the type any bigger and do you get the lot?)

Davidmk5, jamesc, JohnBeas and 3 others like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Is the original LP version of What Is Love anywhere in sight?

:)

18. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Will report back at weekend.
    I expect it's on the picture disc but not on the CD.

DiabloG and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. DiabloG

20. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

As predicted these picture disk vinyl on both boxes sound beyond awful, and a rice krispy crackle factory.
    Just awful they send out picture disk vinyl with these sets ,then sell actual vinyl copies separately, such a cash grab from cherry red.
    I contacted them about the quality of this vinyl, let’s see how that goes.

21. DiabloG

Found this comment from an Amazon.uk review for Human's Lib: "The mastering equipment used to produce this C.D. (One of his 2 best albums) has been optimized to give an excellent well rounded sound quality, most pleasing. You don't need to turn the volume control far to achieve good sound levels." Probably a red flag, but hopefully it'll at least be more dynamic than the 2010 remaster. To be fair, the 2010 version isn't the most compressed remaster I've heard, but it's definitely harsher than the Target CD.

scobb, jamesc and Vandenville like this.
  22. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

Red flag indeed.

Just for reference, here are the DR numbers for previous releases of "Human's Lib":

1984 Release = DR13
    2010 Remaster = DR9

ispace and DiabloG like this.
  23. moni

moni Forum Resident

A cash grab from Howard Jones more like.

24. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

If they would have offered just a 3 CD version with the 3rd disc of each box set included I would have jumped on it but I'm not willing to buy a $100 box set just for that 3rd disc. I was hoping Spotify might stream the whole 3 CD version but unfortunately they only have the first 2 discs.

morgan1098 likes this.
  25. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I'm afraid this is definitely true.

However I have the 2 2CD/1DVD combos and I'm really happy with them - outside of the fact that one or two of the original B-Sides are missing. I think they are reasonably well mastered and lots of the extras are worthwhile. The DVDs are proper time capsules as well. Great stuff.

c-eling and DiabloG like this.