Howlin' Wolf - How To Complete

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ellen1014, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What's the best and most affordable way to get everything the Wolf has done? I've got the Chess Box, the singles set and his 'regular' albums like the London Sessions and My Back Door but would like to know what else is out there.

I think Hip-o and Charly have both released sets but is there anything exclusive to them?

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

For the early stuff, which many listeners rate as his best, you need the two volumes of Bear Family's MEMPHIS DAYS and the Ace reissue of the SINGS THE BLUES album. There are other comps of these pre-Chess sessions but I can't vouch for them.

While all Wolf I've heard is enjoyable, I'd be hard-pressed to say anyone needs more than those three CDs and the Chess Box.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    speedracer likes this.
  3. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

The Howlin Wolf Box set from 1993 on Charly is the winner hands down for content.I have this box and there are tracks on here that have never been released elsewhere and probably never will.Unless Bear Family ever does a box set on The Wolf.
    This makes the more common Chess Box look like a sampler.It's too bad Hip-O didn't get to a Vol 2 or 3 with their Howlin Wolf reissues.Vol 1 was great with content and packaging.
    Howlin' Wolf – The Complete Recordings 1951-1969 (1993, CD)
    [​IMG]

The collection includes songs Wolf recorded for Modern/RPM,that were not on Chess,collected on the great release from ACE UK and it's great.
    Howlin' Wolf Sings the Blues - Howlin' Wolf | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic
    [​IMG]

This great song alone is almost worth the price :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Note that Super Super Blues and The Howlin' Wolf Album are not included. Both are essential imo.

5. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks all. That Charly box looks fantastic.

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Unfortunately for Hip-O select, they did the Wolf box after the Universal fire, so they weren't able to go back to the original tapes like they did for the Diddley, Berry and Muddy sets.

The easiest way to get nearly everything, as above, is the old Charly box and the Ace CD. There are a number of tracks (mostly alternates) that are exclusive to elsewhere though.

The best sound quality is another matter completely. You need like eight different releases just to get all of the Sun sessions in the best quality (Wolf Chess box, Wolf Charly Complete box, Charly CH66 "Howlin' For My Baby", Chronological Classics 52-53, Sun HDtracks download, Chess Blues box (VA), Sun Blues box (VA), Charly "Too Blue To Cry" (VA) )

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  7. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

As a stand alone vinyl release, Chester Butnette-AKA Howlin Wolf on Chess is a record I could not be without, no matter what other Wolf albums or collections I have or get. It is OUTSTANDING!
    Edit: I see this is an old thread after posting, however, still true.

8. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

And to my mind, Keep What You Got has one of THE great guitar solos.