Hüsker Dü - "Savage Young Dü" 4LP/3CD (2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Devotional, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Holy s**t! x100
    Please please please let it include a DVD of Love Hall, and the Maxwell's set from early '84. Even if not this is thrilling, they were a live band to be reckoned with.
    Looks like I'll have to break my no box sets embargo.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  2. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Curt Kirkwood said in the Too High To Die book that the most recent batch of reissues were mastered from previous CDs. I'm not sure what the Rykos were sourced from.

Preston likes this.
  3. redsock, Devotional, DrBeatle and 2 others like this.
  4. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

When in doubt, assume Greg Ginn is lying. You'll rarely be wrong.

5. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, the Dino Merge. SST-era CDs were remastered from decrackled vinyl copies, J Mascis was involved in the process, I remember reading an interview somewhere at the time where he talked about this.
    I never bothered to check them out and stuck with my original SST CDs which I re-EQd. I didn't fancy paying for glorified needle drops.

Preston likes this.
  6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I compared the remastered Sweet Nothing debut CD (I assume is the same as the Merge CD) with the original US Homestead CD and felt it was a different mix. The backing vocals appeared to have been pushed back in the mix on the Sweet Nothing CD.

7. van1

van1 Forum Resident

How 'pop' inspired was early Husker Du? I don't know if its been raised before but 'when insects ruled the world' seems to borrow HEAVILY from the Carpenters 'On top of the world', at least to my ears

John Porcellino likes this.
  8. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

There was one other song (I forget which one) that copped a guitar melody from Buck Owens.

van1 likes this.
  9. bleachershane

I may have to give that a listen as I've only heard the original Homestead CD release. I do believe the Merge/Sweet Nothing releases are one and the same, it's been so long since I've looked into this that all the details are hazy to me!

10. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Wow. That's horrible. I can't believe that a label - especially a small label like SST - can lose their most valuable asset. What morons.

Jimmy B. and Greenalishi like this.
  11. bleachershane

At the time J Mascis said the remastering from vinyl was because the only way to listen to Dinosaur Jr. was on vinyl... now looking back, I'm assuming it's because the masters were missing/Greg Ginn said the masters were missing/the band and their legal team gave up trying to get the tapes back from SST.

Greenalishi and Preston like this.
  12. Translation: Ginn was too stoned to remember offhand, and wasn't inclined to be more cooperative. You'd think that one of the old hands at SST like Greg Carducci or Mugger would know where to look, though - assuming they were consulted.

Preston and Greenalishi like this.
  13. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I don't think SST has paid Husker Du since the 80's. I read an article before Grant Hart died on this subject. They had finally got together somewhat and put up a website with t shirts and stuff. The article said before they broke up SST stopped paying 'em. Not sure if this has been fixed. SST had so many great bands. It's a bummer they have a much more cutthroat approach to the business side.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  14. bleachershane

It's really astounding that a label could be so careless with what once was a prestigious back catalogue, they really didn't have a clue, did they? As well as being shady as anything, they never even bothered to fully capitalise on what they had in the vaults. If they had any of the tapes... Or a vault...

15. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I tweeted at Numero Group asking if there would be a follow-up boxset and their response was.."Something else, eventually. That's about the best we can promise."

Rupe33, DeeThomaz and DrBeatle like this.
  16. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Appreciate the update but, man, that's much more vague than I'd hoped for. This band deserves such a better legacy and treatment of their catalog.

17. Bob Mould Workbook unreleased dance remixes here we come!

Fletch and jimhb like this.
  18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Thought there was a live box on the way, but I guess not. In a short MOJO interview Mould says this: "as for the SST stuff, as long as the music is available, and people are getting paid, I guess that's all you can ask of what's left of the music business". So if the SST business is straightened out, he's good as far as that's concerned..
    But yeah, their legacy deserves a lot better.

19. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I think what makes it more depressing now is that we've gotten a taste of how respectfully and lovingly Numero Group would treat it and now...

[​IMG]

20. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Never heard SST was paying the band now. This was settled?

21. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I read that as "just getting statements or checks from SST was pulling teeth - and getting the rights to the catalog would be another decade of that prolonged legal BS, so I'm just happy the records are in print and we see a few bucks from them now."

DrBeatle and ralphb like this.
  22. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

Katzman, Terry James aged 64 of Minneapolis passed away suddenly on Friday, November 8. Preceded in death by parents Marileigh and Ben Katzman. Survived by wife, Penny Myers, children, Ben and Nick Katzman, Brothers; Tim Katzman, Dexter Katzman, sister-in-law, Gale Morrow, niece Rachel and nephew Sam Katzman. Lovingly remembered by in-laws; Debbie and John Finch, Dan and Jean Myers, Paul and Ann Myers, and numerous nieces and nephews. Terry grew up in Excelsior and attended Minnetonka High School. He attended St. Cloud State University and the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.

Terry had a special passion for local music and supported many upcoming bands.

He worked for and was an integral part of legendary record store Oar Folkjokeopus. He also owned and operated his own beloved Minneapolis record store, Garage D'or Records for 15 years and currently worked for Hi-Fi Hair and Records.

Terry did sound in the 7th Street Entry and was the first live sound man for the Replacements.

He started Reflex Record Label with Bob Mould and Grant Hart of Husker Du, then his own label Garage D'or Records.

Terry was recording, producing and managing local bands right up until the end. He still went out a few nights a week to check out new Minneapolis bands and clubs.

Terry's last day was spent in sunny Los Angeles record shopping with best friend, Peter Jesperson.

When he wasn't focusing on music, Terry truly loved spending time with his family. His boys and his wife were his greatest pride. He enjoyed traveling, professional wrestling, and his pets. Services pending.

Memorials to Diverse Emerging Music Organization, Sherocksherock, or the Animal Humane Society.
    Published on November 10, 2019

Obituary for Terry James Katzman

from Bob's facebook:

When I moved from upstate New York to the Twin Cities in 1978, Terry Katzman was one of my earliest friends in the Minnesota music scene. Terry was a key figure in the early days of Hüsker Dü, Reflex Records, and pretty much everything that revolved around the local music scene.

Terry became Hüsker Dü’s first official live sound engineer, and many of the recordings he made at soundchecks became the foundation for the 2017 box set. Without Terry, much of what we called “our scene” would not have reached your eyes and ears.

My condolences to Terry’s family, his friends, and to anyone who was fortunate enough to meet Terry. His passion for music was always on display, and I feel blessed to have known him. I will miss you, Terry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.