Hüsker Dü - "Savage Young Dü" 4LP/3CD (2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Devotional, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

So is the smaller box the 3 disc cd set and will the cds also come in the LP box like Codeine's did?

2. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I have no special insight, but it sure looks that way. Exciting!

3. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

So Zen Arcade is not in the picture? I was just listening to that this weekend - took me back to the day when the Huskers were the only band that mattered. Like several SST releases of that era, a great record that sounds like shyte. Part of it's charm I guess but it would be interesting to see what would happen with a proper remaster if that is even possible. Those songs are dense with sound.

DrBeatle likes this.
  4. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Nobody knows for certain yet what's in the box - they have not announced the contents yet.
    For those of you not on the Twitter machine, here's the photo they tweeted:
    [​IMG]

5. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

We'll find out soon enough but it seems they've moved away from including the CDs with the LP boxes in recent years (I'm sure someone could point out an exception).

6. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

To the best of my knowledge, the Codeine set is the only time Numero have packaged CDs and LPs together. Every other release has had separate CD and LP editions, or been one or the other.

7. 926am

926am Senior Member

dlemaudit likes this.
  8. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

9. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

They don't even want to put download codes in their LPs anymore. I doubt they'd ever add CDs with them again.

10. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

This is coming out in a few weeks and no track listing yet? Why all the secrecy?

DrBeatle likes this.
  11. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I hope the box set doesn't include CDs *AND* LPs...some of us, as much as we love vinyl, would like to buy a CD-only set for ease of storage and convenience...

12. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

And I also hope there won't be differing tracklists for the separate vinyl and CD sets. I'm really quite done with artists and labels pulling the few extra/different tracks on different formats to try and get you to buy more than one. No idea what Numero's track record is like for this sort of thing though.

DrBeatle likes this.
  13. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

Tracks shouldn't be different between the two but the goofiest thing they sometimes do is put a bonus 7" in the CD set that you might not get with the LPs!

DrBeatle and bleachershane like this.
  14. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Only a vague preorder timetable of "September" has been mentioned; no release date yet.
    The only secrecy is that it has been teased out a bit, full and complete details have yet to be announced.
    If preorders are in September... I'd bet it's at least another month out from there until we have it in our hands! :)

bleachershane likes this.
  15. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

well, if they just got the test pressings yesterday, I imagine it'll be a couple weeks before they put up the pre-order...

16. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Every time this thread is topped, I grind my teeth.

Hüsker Dü deserves better than this annoying RSD-level "here's an Instagram photo of what the corner of the SUPER EXCLUSIVE Hüsker Dü box looks like!"

Give us a track list, do a nice pressing, do some digital distribution, give this band the retrospective push/cultural reappraisal they so painfully deserve. Hüsker fans aren't all "manufactured rarity" record collectors.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    johnnybrum, DrBeatle and czeskleba like this.
  17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

It's not "super exclusive" and they're teasing the release just the same as every other release gets teased these days and the remaster of Everything Falls Apart has been on Spotify for about a month. It's not coming out until October or November and it's the first in a series of planned box sets. A lot of this depends on Greg Ginn giving approval for release, and hopefully the planned sets for Zen Arcade and the rest of the SST catalog will see light of day. It's a major retrospective and kudos to Numero for giving the band the look back they so deserve.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  18. alienlanes

alienlanes Forum Resident

When Numero Group first posted the picture of the poster for the box on August 21st they said they would release more information in 15 days. So have your pre-order money ready next week...

SteveFff, ralphb and bleachershane like this.
  19. 926am

926am Senior Member

Any guess what the price of this will be? I am guessing about 50 or 60 for cds 100 for vinyl??

20. alienlanes

alienlanes Forum Resident

I definitely hope no more than 100 for the vinyl. That's how much I have put aside for it right now.

21. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member Thread Starter

They got the test pressings in July. The picture tweeted is the real deal.

22. ralphb

I think that would be enough, it might even be a bit less.

alienlanes likes this.
  23. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

So much time, money and effort goes into archival releases like this. It's even harder with so much inter-band animosity and a kooky and unpredictable (to be kind) record label owner like Ginn. Why so much anger? It's almost a miracle something like this will even exist after all these years. This isn't something that's going to make anybody rich by any means.

24. ralphb

I had long ago given up hope on a project like this. The fact that it exists (because of the reasons you state) is a minor miracle. I love this stuff (well, maybe not Land Speed Record so much) but the real meat is to be found in the rest of the SST catalog and I'm hoping this sells enough to convince Ginn that the rest of the project will be worthwhile for him. Also, any cash that gets to Grant Hart out of this is sorely needed.

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I do agree that the whole "teasing" aspect of the marketing seems a bit juvenile and unnecessary. There's no need to try to artificially stoke suspense in this manner since fans have been waiting literally decades for a release of this nature, and are already as enthusiastic as they are going to get. Since they've seemingly reached the manufacturing stage, there likely isn't anymore legal reason to withhold information or not put out a tracklist. I wouldn't say I'm angry, but mild annoyance is my reaction to each of these coy, vague instagram postings that contain no real information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.