Huge new 35 CD John Mayall box set, "The First Generation 1965-1974"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galactus, Oct 30, 2020.

1. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

I saw Mick Taylor at the Belly Up Tavern in San Diego in the 80's. I think he was with John. I don't think Mick had his own band..?
    His current band is really, really strong IMHO. One of the best good-time shows I've ever seen.

2. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

It's actually Madfish, a Snapper subsidiary, and yes, I agree that they did a stellar job on this one. As they do almost always. You may want to search the forum for the Caravan 37-disc box, Who Do You Think We Are?, a review of which has been published today.....

Or: Here is a link to the post announcing that review....

3. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

In the process of listening to it now.

Also lookout the Family and Streetwalkers boxes

The Pretty Things box is probably the let down box that I have. Lack of full concerts. Otherwise its very good

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Mayall is still going strong at 87. His show in Boston last night was solid, with a good varied setlist-- For whatever reason the City Winery made him keep the show at 90 minutes when he wanted to go longer. The band is arguably his best in decades, Carolyn Wonderland is superb. More of a stylist and less of a shredder than some of his latter day guitarists.

Granted, there were a couple of moments where Mayall appeared to be having memory issues-- He did the same band intro a couple times and twice introduced songs that had already been done. That seemed a little worrisome to me, but his singing and playing abilities are in great shape.

RiRiIII, JulesRules and shadlet like this.
  5. jvs52

jvs52 Forum Resident

Will there be another generation box or is this just a one-off? Does anybody know?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Johnny Come Lately here but if I were to order a copy of this box now (from a vendor in the US) would I still be likely to be able to get a replacement disc 20 from the Snapper?

7. jvs52

jvs52 Forum Resident

You should always try. In theory they manufactured the same amount of replacements as box sets. Probably not everyone will have asked for a replacement. And probably more than one member on this forum will have a spare replacement disc, one from Snapper and one from the retailer where they bought the box.

giantleech likes this.
  8. giantleech

Yeah, I just placed an order with Anaconda.com a few minutes ago. Figured it wouldn't be too bad of a risk getting a proper replacement disc sent to me from the Snapper fellows.

9. giantleech

I just sent an email to the second Snapper Music email address that you posted here (for a request of the aforementioned corrected disc #20), which you seem to indicate is a better, more responsive email address (?) to make such a request. Do you have any idea as to whether I should also make contact with the first Snapper Music email address as well?

At any rate, I hope to see a positive reply from Snapper here within the next 24 hours.

MikeT likes this.
  10. giantleech

Gotta say that this is yet another remarkable, expansive box set (sitting well next to other similar boxes from Steve Hillage, Gentle Giant and Caravan; with somewhat smaller sets from Family and Gong as well... I'll add Van Der Graaf Generator to that list - their recent box is due to arrive here sometime come the middle of this month.) What a feast!

I wonder who else will likely be next to see such a box set of this caliber released?

JulesRules likes this.
  11. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Al Stewart.

12. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Been on the fence about this one for a year now due to the price, but all of the reviews on here make me want to pull the trigger.

13. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

There's the ELP one as well.

14. How's the mastering? The Ian Hunter set had some great stuff but the mastering wasn't so great for some albums.

15. He's 87. I think that's to be expected to some degree but to your point there are folks that have pin point memories at that age too. It could be a sign of early dementia or memory loss.

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He actually announced an end to touring soon after I made that post, but he does seem to be playing quite a few shows close to home (assuming he lives in LA now).

wayneklein likes this.
  17. Yeah I see some in Southern California and the Netherlands.

JulesRules likes this.
  18. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I'm very happy with my set. Sound is great

JulesRules likes this.
  19. granola

granola Forum Resident

20. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Unfortunately, they are not able to ship this incredible box set to France. "Too heavy" they say... :shake:

21. Theacademyinperil

Theacademyinperil Forum Resident

Jeez, it's not a Lord Sutch album or anything...

Happily, they do ship to Troy NY. Thanks to SHF forum members for helping me blow my paycheck!

22. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Even cheaper right now at Popmarket. $139 and free shipping.

John Mayall First Generation 1965-1974 (Ltd 35CD Boxset/ Book & Signed Photo) [Import] on PopMarket

23. granola

granola Forum Resident

Good call - same company, and cheaper!

I'd used a discount code at Deep Discount for 15% off (FLOWERS, still working at this time); other coupons may apply.

(Also, I'd ordered 'Generation' with an 'additional shipping charge may apply' CD box set - and wasn't charged.)

Popmarket or Deep Discount, don't wait at these prices.

Deep Discount - Blowout Bin

Blowout Bin on DeepDiscount

24. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Popmarket ended up $2.82 cheaper for me than Deep Discount (DD has the 15% off code but wanted $11.99 to ship it). If you got 15% and free shipping, that's a great deal. I'm on the east coast, maybe that's why they wanted to charge me for shipping.

25. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Great price. Thanks for the heads up. Purchased from deep discount.

Jim