Hullabaloo DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

In light of the number of veterans of the 60s on this board, I thought I'd mention that MPI just released the third volume of its DVDs of the old NBC music show Hullabaloo. While the latest disc tests the limits of barrel scraping, it's got some good music and the sight of the mainstream hosts trying to act hip for the "kids" is very entertaining. One highlight is a cringe-inducing medley of songs from the just-released Rubber Soul performed by the Righteous Brothers and Nancy Sinatra. Unbelievable. A spot by Simon and Garfunkel reveals that Paul actually had that comb-over thing going on as far back as the 60s. I never noticed then- I guess the problem of male pattern baldness wasn't as important to me when I was 16.
    Anyhow, each DVD is about $20 and, at 4 plus hours of content each, a bargain if you go for this stuff. At a minimum, you'll get some really disgusted looks from your kids when they see what you're watching!

2. When I was in High School, I made a point to watch Hullabaloo, Where the Action Is and Shindig every week. I think that Where the Action Is was on every day.

I have a series of VHS tapes of the Shindig shows and I also have the first two DVD's of Hullabaloo. I know that some people may complain about the lip sinking (not always) and the poor video quality, but IMHO--WHO CARES!! It is GREAT FUN to watch these old shows and watch our favorite bands when their careers were just starting.

It is too bad that certain bands, such as the Dave Clark 5, are not includes due to legal issues.

I really enjoyed the “extras” on the first two Hullabaloo DVD’s . The Rascals perform a great version of “Ain’t gonna eat out my heart any more” with live vocals. Are there any extras on the third DVD?

3. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Thanks Bill. I have the first two discs so I'll probably get this one too. I wish someone would do a series of Shindig discs. Even though it was black and white I think I liked that show better. The performers did more live stuff.

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Hullaballo Video Quality

I'm a big Hullaballo freak (as well as all the other 60s usic shows)

Just for those who dont know, the reason for the poor video quality of the Hullaballo DVDs is that most of the original video masters were ERASED and reused to save on tape costs.

IDIOTIC, yes, but they did it. They never thought there would be any way to derive revenue from keeping the shows. AND, video tape (especially color videotape) was extremely expensive.

Many of the shows on the DVDs are made from KINESCOPES that survived thru the years. Kinescopes are basically, pointing a movie camera at a studio monitor that carrys the broadcast feed.

Given this fact, its amazing that they look even as good as they do. Of course, many of the original COLOR broadcasts are now lost forever, "Kinnyed" on Black and White Film only to keep some kind of archive.

Still, some shows WERE videotaped in color and survive, like the Gary/Jerry Lewis episode. And others were videotaped on B&W tape and also did survive.

Luckilly, most of the Hullaballo shows were at least kinescoped , so at least we have them to watch today.

There are a couple that cannot be found, but who knows, they may be sitting, unlabeled, in a warehouse just waiting to be found.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Mikey is so right. Most of the Hullabaloo shows were only kinney'd at all because NBC licensed and released them internationally, and sent the shows out on 16mm film. So, NBC wasn't totally stupid to the fact that there was money to be made (at least back then).

BTW, the reason the Gary Lewis and Michael Landon shows have survived on their original 2" Vacuum tube color viedotapes is that both Landon and Jerry Lewis had enough clout to order NBC to mark those tapes "Archive-Do Not Erase".

It's amazing that no one thought that most of those shows were worth saving in their pristine color form. I can imagine some 60 year old NBC exec in 1966 going: "This stuff is crap, I can't believe it's on our network"!

Of course over at ABC, the Shindig crisp Black And White videos were all erased and used over, mainly for local news program background effects. Nothing but 16mm film from the TV screen left on these, eh?

6. RetroSmith

Hullaballo Video Quality

Thanks Steve.

I am sure you are right, The Landon and Lewis shows probably were saved due to the clout of the stars. I KNOW Jerry Lewis got a film copy of anything he was on, it was in his contract.

2 inch QUAD videotape, I would imagine. That actually did an excellent job of recording, but those monster machines (one of my hobbies) needed lots of tweaking and adjustment.

Steve is also right that most of the SHINDIG shows were erased, but not all. Some survive in ABCs Vault and have "leaked out" to collectors....like me...:))

Like Hullaballo, Shindig exits today mostly on Kinescopes. But the production values for SHINDIG were nowhere NEAR what they were on HULLABALLO, which was a slick, well produced network TV show. Steves right tho...can't you just see an old executive watching Barry McGuire sing "Eve of Destruction" saying "what the hell is THAT?? and WHY are we showing it???"

7. Steve Hoffman

8. RetroSmith

Video

Well, Steve, the NBC AFFILATES used all kinds of goofy stuff, like custom RCA, ITC, and even Coniscan recorders to accomodate color. Being a new technology, it was sort of a free for all.

NBC themsleves probably did also, at various times, but NBC did have a ton of AMPEX VR1200 A, B, and C recorders, which were industry workhorses. Made an EXCELLENT picture, tho. Just needed constant attention to keep them on spec.

When President Kennedy was shot on Nov 22 , 1963, the feeds from the network affiliates from Dallas and Minnesota were fed in COLOR, but broadcasted nationally in B&W. Color tapes exist of the local feeds in color. Rather startling, actually.

And Steve, as to your question, I recently sold my last color machine, an Ampex VPR -5 Color reel to reel. GREAT machine, fantastic pictures. Beats the pants off any SVHS machine!!

I still have two SONY B&W reel to reel machines, because I still have some old reels to be dubbed. One is a hot blonde, but thats a story for another time!!

Did you see the Custom AMPEX 8 track tube multitrack machine for sale last week? Only a handful were made, apparantly.
    8 track heads with 8 tube model 300 Electronics, all in a giant case. I almost bought it!!

9. Steve Hoffman

Re: Video

Mikey, you are a font of information.

I'd sure like to see the Kennedy color feed tape..:)

Can you send me a link to the Ampex 8-track? I didn't see it, but it's just as well; my resolve not to buy anymore stuff might have weakened .:eek:

10. RetroSmith

Re: Re: Video

Attached Files:

11. Steve Hoffman

Mikey,

Yes I remember those VR1-2000's. Our college TV station had a hand-me-down from ABC or something. We also had an even bigger, older B&W machine that took up an entire room or something. When that thing was running, a guy could get decapitated!

It's amazing that now all of that technology, plus the camera and lens no less, can fit into the palm of your wee little hand.

12. RetroSmith

>>>>>It sure is Steve. It never ceases to amaze me about the advances in Video/Audio. My Digital Camcorder and pc editor does what it once took 100,000 worth of equipment to do.....and not even that long ago...10 years or so.

13. Steve Hoffman

Mikey,

I guess the advances are good.

Kinda makes me a little nervous for some reason; a deal with the devil and all...

14. RetroSmith

Audio/Video

Ha!!

You know what , Steve, in my research, I have found that religous people in the bible belt thought that RADIO was the work of the devil and refused to have a set or listen to any...they thought that it was "against Gods plan" to have sound going thru space!!!!

Beat that!!

15. Steve Hoffman

Well, I think that too. The broadcast sound of FM Radio (at least in Los Angeles) is now so "low fidelity" that it might be!

;) :rolleyes: :mad:

But, we digress...

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree that radio these days has very low fidelity sound.

17. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

And if you really want to get picky about things (and that **is** why we're all her, isn't it?), I would put forth the assertion that there is nothing produced today that matches the look of warm, wonderful tube-created 2" video.

Ahh.... analog!

By the way, as this thread was discussing the (regrettable) preservation of **so many** classic shows on kinescopes, you might want to give this page a cursory glance:

http://www.kinescopes.com/LUSTRE.html

I was just able to work out the major kinks of the process a while ago, and am fine-tuning it as we speak. It's not perfect (nothing will ever replace an actual video master), but it's a lot closer, and a major improvement, in most cases.

So there is **some** hope... :D

-Kevin

18. RetroSmith

kinescopes

Hey Kevin, that sounds pretty great!!

There are TONs of kinnys that I'm sure can benefit.

I know from some of my buddies in the TV world that there are a lot of shows that the Network would like to rerun (no cost)
    but cannot because the kinescope quality is deemed unacceptable, especially today with Hi def coming on strong,

If your system works as well as it sounds, that would be a major boon to us maybe seeing some great shows (Playhouse 90, Philco Ford Theatre) that we otherwise might not.

Maybe someday we will see the original "Clay Cole Show" with a special performance by a VERY young Ronnie Dio!!!

19. RetroSmith

20. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

I got it from CD Now- it arrived in the mail yesterday and, let me tell you, last night was one LONG evening. Now that I'm home, I can answer the question posed earlietr today of who's on it:

Music:
    Sam the Sham
    Peter & Gordon
    Supremes
    Byrds
    Righteous Bros.
    Paul Revere & the Raiders
    Nancy Sinatra
    Bob Lind (!)
    Shangri-Las
    Barry McGuire
    McCoys
    Young Rascals
    Simon and Whatshisname
    Mel Carter
    Animals (great- Burdon repeatedly screws up the words to It's My Life, to the disgust of other band members)
    Dionne Warwick
    Joe & Eddie
    Gentrys
    Jay & the Americans
    Everly Bros.
    Brenda Lee
    Rocky Roberts & the Airedales (don't ask-beats me, too)
    Marvin Gaye
    Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers
    Petula Clark
    Marianne Faithful
    Little Anthony & the Imperials
    Nashville Teens
    Hollies
    Freddie & the Dreamers (proudly introduced by Brian Epstein- jeez!)
    Four Tops
    Lovin' Spoonful
    Ramsey Lewis Trio
    Four Seasons
    Beau Brummels
    Hullaballoos
    Bobby Fuller Four (worth the cost of the DVD alone)
    Hermans Hermits
    Judy Collins
    Impressions (!)
    Johnny Rivers

Groovy Stars:
    Frankie Avalon
    Barbara McNair
    Joannie Sommers
    Leslie Uggams
    George Hamilton (plus tan)
    Lainie Lazan
    George Maharis (a scamp)