HUMPHREY BOGART - Fans or Collectors

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Maranatha5585, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam Thread Starter

A Little something different ~ Eddie Muller…
    From the Film Noir Foundation / TCM Noir Alley host

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  2. Maranatha5585

ROXY MUSIC ~ “2HB” .. Original 1971 Demo
    Very early and excellent tribute to Bogie.

3. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

longdist01 and Maranatha5585 like this.
  4. Chemically altered

Just a shout out to Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet. Perhaps the two greatest character actors ever, and often stole scenes without ever trying to.
    [​IMG]

5. "The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter".

Boom Operator and Tommy Jay like this.
  6. I'll bet it is.

Simon A and smilin ed like this.
  7. Maranatha5585

:)

8. Maranatha5585

Yes! Exactly, I concur my friend.
    Totally incredible how Greenstreet began acting so late in life, and Peter the great what can one say. He suffered with addiction throughout his career, he was quite close with HB. Always brilliant, and he really left a mark with anything he was involved in.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  9. Chemically altered

I recall hearing that Greenstreet, although a stage actor, didn't become a movie actor until his 60s. Amazing.

longdist01 and Maranatha5585 like this.
  10. Maranatha5585

Yep… 61 yo

longdist01 likes this.
  11. Maranatha5585

A great color photo outtake from Casablanca…

[​IMG]

Boom Operator, Simon A, Ro-Go and 3 others like this.
  12. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I watched The Left Hand Of God (1955) last night. This late Bogart movie is rare in that it's both in color and widescreen (in CinemaScope). I think only other two like that are The Barefoot Contessa and We're No Angels. I rented it from Amazon Prime, which claims it was in HD, but it sure didn't look very sharp. Anyway, on to the movie!

This seemed to start slowly and I thought was just an average performance from Bogart as he didn't seem to be a very convincing priest. When the twist is revealed though it makes a lot more sense and you realize his acting isn't lacking at all. Agnes Moorehead is good in this and I believe some of it was filmed abroad, which is always a plus in my book. I wouldn't call it one of his best but it held my interest for the 2nd half and there's no sappy ending here.

Bogie finished his career on a high note with The Desperate Hours and The Harder They Fall, which I think are both fantastic and up there with the best of his movies. This isn't nearly at the level of those, but is enjoyable nonetheless.

mike s in nyc likes this.
  13. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I only found out this week that he was an excellent chess player.
    Maltese Falcon, Treasure of Sierra Madre, Big Sleep.

14. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

The Caine Mutiny is also in color and widescreen.

Boom Operator and Mark E. Moon like this.
  15. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

You are correct. Wow, can't believe I forgot that classic! Thanks for the catch and maybe it's time to watch that one again.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  16. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I can't say I am strictly speaking a fan or a collector of his movies but I have many. Yesterday I've received "The desperate hours" I might be wrong but I don't think I've ever seen it, it appears to be an interesting movie. Possibly my favorite is the one with Lauren Bacall and Agnes Moorehead Dark passage, Maltese Falcon also rates high on my list.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

huge fan ..a few of my favorites: Roaring 20's which brings in another favorite into the mix Cagney! and Bogarts last; The Harder They Fall.. ...just a great era for great movies..there isn't a Bogart or Cagney movie I do not like...heavy duty fan since I was a younster!

Boom Operator likes this.
  18. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I registered R in the 1980 primary so I could write in Bogey. I figured an A movie actor would be better even if he had been dead for over 20 years.

19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre (1948)

20. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I've changed my mind, Casablanca is my favorite, I don't know how I could have possibly forgotten that movie.

21. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Key Largo, The Big Sleep, To Have and Have Not (Howard Hawks' take on Casablanca).

The only problem I have with The Maltese Falcon is Mary Astor. I cannot see the attraction.

Dead End - Directed by William Wyler and cinematography by Gregg Toland.
    Angels with Dirty Faces - James Cagney and Bogart in an early gangster role.

22. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Mary Astor and Bogart are brilliant together in Across The Pacific. That's a fun watch with those two bantering back and forth with Sydney Greenstreet as the third wheel. So she was certainly a capable actress.

But next to the 3 powerhouse performances The Maltese Falcon, Mary's character almost gets lost in the shuffle.

Boom Operator and Simon A like this.
  23. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Thanks. I've never heard of that one.

It isn't so much the acting. Mary Astor as the femme fatal that men fall for doesn't work for me; I don't find her sexy or desirable. Maybe I'll like her in Across the Pacific.

Thanks or the recommendation. I'll check it out.

JAuz likes this.
  24. Thank you! It took 11 pages for someone to mention Conflict (1943/1945), which is definitely in my top-10 Bogart films.

I think it's a classic and fits right into 1943, when Bogart was on a huge roll. A shame it wasn't released until 1945. If it had been released in '43, I think it would be more esteemed today.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Desperate Hours last night. Flawless
    Can't see Spencer in March's part. He was a great fit.

Needle Time, JAuz and EVOLVIST like this.