HUMPHREY BOGART - Fans or Collectors

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Maranatha5585, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I'd vote for "The Harder they Fall," as another underrated movie with Bogey. Good story by Budd Schulberg.

Regginold31 and MortSahlFan like this.
  2. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam Thread Starter

[​IMG]

A short story about another celluloid hero of mine .. Edward G. Robinson.
    When I was growing up in L.A. in the 1960's, I went with my parents who were shopping at an exclusive custom lighting and fixture store. I was probably 10 years old at the time. My Mom and Dad were looking around, and Edward G. and the Mrs were in the store.. My Dad told me, I was star struck... there he was in the flesh!! A few yards away from me. I was always a collector and autograph hound even as a young kid. I was too scared, possibly from watching him for years already at 10. I remember the entire thing and just kick myself for not asking him for an autograph. Maybe my Dad said leave them alone. I just don't know. I think Robinson took the "G." from his real name.. Emanuel Goldenberg. He was a trained stage actor who moved into film successfully. An actors' actor, and highly cultured man.. he and his wife collected rare art, impressionism.. he owned priceless Van Gogh paintings. He could dish it out, and take it too.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  3. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Very sad he was blacklisted - as the years went on, and the days of the quick-talking snappy dialogue was becoming more naturalized, and you can see it in "The Cincinnati Kid".

fr in sc and Steve Litos like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Roaring Twenties
    The Oklahoma Kid...cowboys!
    The harder They Fall-his last.

5. Michael

one of my fav movies with both in it...beautiful collectible!

6. Michael

love this movie...I have the BD

7. Michael

whadda ya watchin?

8. Maranatha5585

Surprise surprise.. I had totally forgotten that "Three On A Match" (1932)
    was on TCM this afternoon. I had set it to record like two weeks ago, turned on the TV and saw that it had recorded. YES!! been about ten years at least since I've seen it. Bogart as "Harve" at 32 years old.. went nowhere. Back when W.B. went by First National. Small part, but one bad azz.

9. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

My all time favorite Bogart film.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Petrified Forest( 1936)
    Duke Mantee..
    His best thirties performance!!!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    MortSahlFan and Hardy Melville like this.
  11. But even he had some missteps, like Knock On Any Door.

12. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

The Petrified Forest

Despite Bogart being my favorite actor, I am not much familiar with his roles before Petrified Forest, which as you say was great. Great performance by Bette Davis, who spent much of the time onscreen opposite Leslie Howard, Bogart's good friend and as the story goes the one who got him the role of Duke Mantee. Which really did set the stage for Bogart's career thereafter.

I like a lot of his post Petrified Forest roles in support of other leads, like Dead End, Angels with Dirty Faces (another with James Cagney in the lead, and a great performance by the super hot Ann Sheridan), the Roaring Twenties as mentioned as well here, Dark Victory (a nice but small part in support again of Ms. Davis*), and the very good They Drive by Night. In Drive he was cast in support of George Raft, with Ann Sheridan again, but this time also with Ida Lupino, who soon directed (yes they sometimes let women direct in those days) High Sierra, Bogart's first lead. Then instead of Raft, who passed on the part, Bogart got his first great lead part in The Maltese Falcon.

Not to digress but High Sierra is not one of my favorites mostly because of the hacked on ending required by the Hollywood censors.

But this whole upward arc began with Petrified Forest, and it certainly was an impressive performance. And a great film overall, thanks in large part to Ms. Davis.

* Dark Victory is overall a great film, btw. Nominated for Best Picture by the Oscars, and also Davis got a nomination for Best Actress.

fr in sc, Maranatha5585 and alexpop like this.
  13. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

He was good in "The Caine Mutiny" too.. I saw it again and had more empathy for him.

14. Maranatha5585

Indeed, ''The Petrified Forest'' was a fantastic break... Bogie certainly deserved it by then. He had already made a handful of films like yesterday's ''Three On A Match'' (1932). Prior to that he stumbled around as a stage hand, and a dubious stage manager in NY. He really worked his tale off, paying his dues the hard way. A few bad marriages, and scrapes. Traveling coast to coast for what must of seemed like an eternity I'm sure...
    That original NYC Playbill (1935) for ''The Petrified Forest'' is the most treasured piece in my collection.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  15. alexpop

Big break !!!!
    Bogie named his child Leslie.a thank you.

Hardy Melville and MortSahlFan like this.
  16. alexpop

Cary Grant ( GrAnt /Cooper thread closed )has a big DVD box available over 20 films, has Bogart ?

17. Maranatha5585

Right... and Stephen Bogart for "Steve" in ''To Have And Have Not''.
    Harry ''Steve'' Morgan.

alexpop likes this.
  18. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

One of my favorites of his is The Desperate Hours.

EVOLVIST and Maranatha5585 like this.
  19. Maranatha5585

Anybody ever make it to Stephen Bogart's ''Bogie Film Festival'' in Key Largo ?

20. alexpop

Used to think Jason Robards looked a bit like Bogart, he married a famous Hollywood actress, cough. :)

21. alexpop

Wouldn't mind a Bogart hologram.

fr in sc and Maranatha5585 like this.
  22. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Seen in its context it's a labor of love and a magnificent tribute:

"It's a clip-on".

Regginold31 and fr in sc like this.
  23. alexpop

Woody Allen had a little help from Sam Spade. :)

fr in sc likes this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Maranatha5585 and alexpop like this.
  25. Maranatha5585

Dr P,
    Thank you so much, Super!
    Kindly do post more radio shows if possible.
    I have some on LP somewhere from years ago, and a few on CD.
    They're something different, love 'em.

Dr. Pepper likes this.