"Hustlers" Movie - Give JLO the Oscar....best performance in a film in ages by anyone*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by radickeyfan, Sep 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Who cares about her performance. I just want to know if she gets naked in the flick.

Osato, bluesbro and Ghostworld like this.
  2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Saw the long version of the trailer. The way that played, Constance Wu seemed to be the most interesting performance and JLo was just OK.
    I can't imagine that any of the performances (or the writing) hold a candle to Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood. Different demographics though.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Or if her backside is as well featured as in "Anaconda."

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

From the Kurt Loder review:

"...shows us what life is like for these strippers or dancers or whatever they're supposed to be (some of the women actually strip, but the leads don't)."​

Review: Hustlers

5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I must have seen the preview for The Goldfinch at least half a dozen times. Despite the presence of Nicole Kidman and Ansel Elgort, both whom I like, nothing about the trailer ever interested me. It was a confusing trailer, and I got no real sense of what the story was about.

I thought about going to see Hustlers this weekend, as I generally like J Lo, but didn’t because the story seems somewhat off-putting to me. Maybe next weekend.

6. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Gee, what intellectual and profound subject matter. How about a hooker with a heart of gold, that's new! Or wait, a super hero! Zzzzz.

Scott222C, MJConroy and Ghostworld like this.
  7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

As is the standard these days, you see a lot more of one guy than you do any particular woman in the film... :sigh:

I wasn’t expecting J-Lo to be nude, though. I still recall what a letdown Out of Sight was in that regard.

8. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

And please let it be a body double.

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw it Saturday night.

Both Jlo and Constance were very good.

Lot of hot women in it including Lili Reinhart from Riverdale - Betty Cooper..

10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

IMO the movie The Goldfinch would only appeal to you if you read and liked the book. The trailers seem to be presuming you have. As a huge fan of the book, I knew right away what was going on. My wife, who had never read it, had no idea.

AleYeah likes this.
  11. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

Most of the people I talked to who actually watched The Goldfinch liked it in spite of the negative reviews from critics. I think the only reason it flopped was because the critics were unnecessarily harsh.

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I agree. I almost skipped it for that reason, and am I glad I did not as I thought it was quite good.

13. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Cardi B's character is named "Diamond" as an homage to LisaRaye McCoy's character in Ice Cube's 1998 film The Players Club.

14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm sorry to say, but I'm gonna call you wrong on J-Lo. Here it is 2019 Best Actress in the bag (also looks like a great film):

jamesmaya, Al Kuenster and unclefred like this.
  16. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I haven't even seen it and I think you've nailed it as far as the Academy goes.

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Edited the thread title to mention the movie title first. Please continue...

18. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I'm seeing Hustlers tomorrow. I thought Jennifer should've been nominated for an Oscar for Selena.

19. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw this today and came away with a similar opinion. I thought the performances by both J Lo and Constance Wu were very, very good, and I could (almost) see where their characters were coming from. As Constance Wu’s character said late in the film, “Hurt people hurt people.”

I had no sympathy for the men who dropped thousands of dollars willingly, but felt very uncomfortable when the women started drugging them.

I doubt anyone is going to win any Oscars here, but I enjoyed the film. J Lo sure does look great for 50 years old.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Good, entertaining movie. J Lo & Constance are very good, especially their scenes together. Very well shot & edited film as well, which ensures it doesn't drag. Don't go in attempting to judge any of the characters and you'll likely enjoy this one.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It was very morally gray though. A bunch of beautiful women basically roofying rich powerful men, basically an inversion of the me-too phenomenon.

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I thought theme was basically power. Who has it? How do they get it? Can one take it from them?

From the opening shot, male DJ introducing the dancers as they walk into a room full of men at their worst. Then you see the dancer being taken advantage of by those she works for. So she gets tired of it and schemes to get some power for herself. Men rule in this world and so these women use their own weapons to gain leverage. Classic tale, but very well thought out and executed IMO.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Best Actress
    Cynthia Erivo (“Harriet”)

Scarlett Johansson (“Marriage Story”)
    Saoirse Ronan (“Little Women”)
    Charlize Theron (“Bombshell”)
    Renee Zellweger (“Judy”)

JLo snubbed. Good. Hollywood spent a lot of money and time building her up into a star and she turned her back on the films to become a “singer.“ They’re not gonna forgive her for that. Only one actor or artist of color nominated this year And we know what trouble that Oversight has caused before . So, the Oscar goes to.... besides, the competition is weak.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Chris from Chicago and alexpop like this.
  24. Her performance was good but not Oscar worthy. Same with the film. A caper movie which was entertaining. Nothing more imho.

the five noms were better.

25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.