Hyperbole in discussing a musician's talents? What are the most overused words?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Aug 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

As with most anything, it seems to me that there is often hyperbole in discussing the talents of various musicians. As an example, I feel the term "genius" gets thrown around too much and is cheapened as a result. You know those statements like, "Joe Blob demonstrates his sheer genius on Album X....".

Am I alone here? What words do you feel are overused in discussing a musician's talents? Feel free to cite specific examples if you wish.

P.S. I am not inferring that people here particularly exaggerate the talents of musicians. My comments refer to discussions in general, as well as articles, liner notes, reviews, etc.

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

The use of the word "tasty" in describing music. Music is not tasty. Food is tasty. Maybe they could say, "the lastest song by X is a tasty dollop of blues."

mud-:D

3. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

"Brilliant" is used a lot. It's along the same lines as "genius".

4. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

How about "brilliant genius" :D

5. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

How about "superstar?" Or, God, "roots rocker." I hate that one. Makes me feel old, since most of the artists I listen to seem to get that description at some point. Also, an oldie but a goodie: the "new Dylan." The old one still ain't half bad, ya know.

6. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

"Beatlesque". This adjective creates a level of expectation that often leads to disappointment.

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

"Essential," "seminal," or any other word of this nature

8. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

I'm not sure if you were limiting the discussion to "musicians", but if you are including "singers", the word DIVA comes to mind as one of the most over-used words in recent times.

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Awesome!

10. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

One of my pet peeves is the ridiculous overuse and abuse of the word "genius", which I think should be reserved for people like Einstein, Mozart, Art Tatum, et. al.;

For cases where the word "talented" is obviously inadequate, but "genius" is still excessive, I prefer the term "gifted".

For example: On this scale, in my opinion, mid-to-late 60's Brian Wilson was somewhere above "gifted" and below "genius".

Don't remember where I saw this, but somebody (Gershwin?) once said:

"Talent does what it can; Genius does what it must."

11. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

If I'd read the words 'teen angst' one more time on a review during the past decade I'd have :hurl:.

Edit: it wasn't 'teen angst' but 'angst ridden' I was thinking of.

12. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

By the way although off-topic: is there ever any software that isn't described as being "powerful"?

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

"The new Dylan."

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

OK, this is really off-topic: Skip, I've been meaning to ask you about your avatar. I dig it!:thumbsup: Feel free to elaborate!

Jim W.

15. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Quote: Edward Bulwer-Lytton
    "Genius does what it must, and talent does what it can."

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/e/q124513.html

mud-

16. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

"Best album since [insert seminal album here]"

Every Dylan album is the best since Blood on the Tracks....
    Every Stones album is the best since Exile on Main Street...
    Every REM album is the best since Automatic...

17. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

While not exactly describing talent, taglines like "postpunk" have lost all their meaning.

18. BradOlson

I agree with you Pat. Diva is definitely an overused term nowadays. "Influential" is another overused term but some artists can't be described any more than "influential," and that definitely includes Joe South.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Talented......that drives me nuts. Celine Dion is not "talented"....she can sing....that's it. Can't play an instrument, can't write a song.

Prince is talented.....Macca and JL were talented.....

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yes, that one makes me kookoo! I heard a commercial for a Cyndi Lauper concert call her "pop diva Cyndi Lauper".
    ?????????????

21. BradOlson

Joe South definitely was one of the most talented singer-songwriter-producers ever, especially in songwriting. Gordon Lightfoot definitely is talented as he can sing, he can definitely write, he can produce, he can definitely play guitar and piano. Pete Seeger can sing, write, play guitar and everything else which means he is talented. John Denver definitely was talented as he could not only sing but he could also write, he could play the guitar, etc. Emmylou Harris is talented as well, same with Linda Ronstadt, the Amazing Rhythm Aces definitely are talented, especially Russell Smith, Les Paul is talented, Chet Atkins was talented, etc. Although many are talented, not everyone is that talented so talented is definitely an overused word.

22. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Superlative Style (as in Her, His or Their Superlative Style) what the hell is that exactly. It sounds like a laxative in order to take a dump!:D :laugh:

23. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

My pet peeve is that the new album by any artist who has been around for at least 15 years is his/her/their "best album in a decade." I always get the feeling the critic hasn't actually bothered to look up which album came out a decade ago.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i hate when it is said that someone id "great".

missy elliot is NOT great
    nelly furtado is NOT great
    train is NOT great
    john mayer is NOT great
    brittany spears is NOT great

it takes time, effort and skill to be great

the stones are great
    neil young is great
    van morrison is great
    james taylor is great
    lucinda williams is great

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

You really see this sort of terminology inflation in schools, where every kid who can perform the next grade's schoolwork is "talented and gifted" -- never mind that that school work has been steadily declining for thirty years or more.

Sorry, but if you're "talented and gifted" at 18, you're not deciding which college to attend; you're deciding which Mozart concerto you're going to perform with the Berlin Philharmonic, or whether you want to pursue clinical or research medicine after completing your residency.

The idea that a good twenty percent or more of an entire high school is "talented and gifted" is statistically absurd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.