I adjusted the anti-skate on my ProJect T1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ingenieur, Dec 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home... Thread Starter

It has no obvious adjustment. I read where the arm is balanced at the factory to add a little. I read you can verify this by balancing the arm (zeroing it) to zero stylus force.
    The arm will drift outward, so there is a net force.

The CW is eccentric with set screw at the top. My CartAlign has a procedure for adjusting AS:
    set stylus force
    Amp off
    Old record spinning
    Lower stylus onto inner groove
    Looking at stylus head on slowly lift cue while observing with a magnifying glass.
    If it flicks out subtract force, and vice versa

How to adjust? Rotate eccentric CW.
    Lobe in towards + AS
    Lobe away from platter - AS
    This adds torque/moment to the arm pivot.

It only took mine a few degrees out to get no 'flick'. Mine flicked out a bit initially.

yes, I'm not 'right' in the noggin'.
    My wife can confirm.

jorgeoceja and Otlset like this.
  2. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I'd think that adjusting the counterweight would change the loading on the bearings, can't see how it would effect the anti-skating?

3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Yes, it can be used for lateral balancing, though straight tonearms are usually pretty closely balanced so don't need a lateral balance weight like comes on most of the S-shaped tonearms, which are inherently unbalanced in most designs. It usually isn't much of an issue if the table is level, but does introduce a bearing torque that would translate to the lateral plane if the table isn't level. I'm kinda surprised it would have that much effect as described in the OP, but I guess there is a small torque present.

To @Ingenieur, is the table absolutely level?

4. Ingenieur

When I played with it I could make it flick in or out and vary magnitude. Too much might affect azimuth.

5. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Well, that is how azimuth is adjusted on a unipivot arm, but yours is a gimbal bearing design so the tonearm won't rotate on the pivot axis to change azimuth unless the bearings are very sloppy.

Ingenieur likes this.
  6. Ingenieur

Dead level using both a bubble and Bosch tool.

Rotating the lobe to 90 deg.only made it jump a few grooves at most. Needed a magnifying glass and repeated operations to see it. It was pretty much dead on from the factory, barely perceptible.

As I noted when floating the arm drifted out.
    If you rotated the weight it would slow, almost stationary. The other direction a bit faster.
    But not significant.
    Did it out of curiosity, not expecting any audible change.

7. Dbrow

Dbrow Active Member

Did you try running the stylus on a smooth portion of a record? Did it pull the tonearm towards the center? I just one of these tables and want to see if any adjustment is possible.

8. BoggartBear

BoggartBear New Member

I tried doing what you said but it seemed to make no difference to the anti-skating properties of my T1. On a blank record the stlyus skates very quickly to the centre.

9. Dbrow

Dbrow Active Member

I returned my T1 for an Essential 3. I don't think the anti-skate is set-up correctly at the factory.

My T1 was skipping the first couple of grooves on most records. Using a blank disc for anti-skate testing, the arm would shoot towards the center. Playing with the position of the anti-skate weight on the Essential, I was able to get the arm float

10. KenDay

KenDay New Member

Anti skating is a hot mess on my brand new T1. I wanted to post a video. The tonearm shoots toward the spindle when placed on a blank CD. I have no intention of trying to tinker with something that isn't meant to be adjustable by the consumer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hzx7taUoN8UakTKWA

I've ordered a Pro ject with the hanging anti-skate counterweight. I've heard mixed reviews of that system as well. If its anti-skate doesn't test well, I'll send it back too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.