I am amazed by NHT SB-1 speakers. What about SB-3 or SuperOne, even better?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Warren Jarrett, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam Thread Starter

OMG... I received my NHT SB-3 speakers today. But the gorilla that owned then before me tightened the binding posts so tight, that they are broken. I called NHT, and they have replacement binding posts with the correct panels, so that should be an easy fix.

Wow, these are pretty big for bookshelves. I would call them "stand-mounts". Luckily I have a collection of speaker stands to choose from. The older NHTs have a more beautiful gloss finish than the newer models.

timind likes this.
  2. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Enjoy...I broke out my old SuperOnes and NAD while my KEFs were out for repair and they held their own so well I've now bought a second (for me) pair of SuperTwos:

[​IMG]

Melody50, 33na3rd, timind and 2 others like this.
  3. Warren Jarrett

So now the status of my NHT comparisons is that the SB-1 is still my favorite, but today I tried the SuperOne 2.1, and the decision has become more difficult. The 2.1 is a BIG upgrade compared to the original SuperOne. NHT improved the tonal balance, so now the midbass is not so prominent, and the sound of all instruments are much more natural. The extra bass capability takes away some of the delicate magic that is the beauty of the smaller and older SB-1.

I will listen to these 2.1 for a few days, because I called NHT about replacement binding posts for the "gorilla overtightened" SB-3s, and they have them in stock. So once installed and ready, those will be my next listen. Then my used pair of SB-2 should arrive. And finally my used pair of Classic 3.

The NHT SuperOne 2.1 is still available new from various retail sources for cheaper than Ebay sellers want for their used ones. So its a very good time to buy a pair.

For more money, NHT now has the C models, and I would guess they are very good sounding as well. When I spoke to the parts person at NHT, I dropped my business name, website, and this thread to him. He told me he might be able to loan me a pair of the new C3 for my comparison.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Servo subs are the answer.

Ilusndweller likes this.
  5. Warren Jarrett

Considering the price of the C3, which is much higher than most readers here would spend on an impulse buy, would more of you prefer to read my impressions of the C3, or the C1 which is about the size of SB1 and SuperZero?

6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You might want to try loosening the nuts with pliers first. Changing the posts isn't as easy as you may think.

7. Warren Jarrett

The previous owner broke one of the binding posts, and the other one was so tight that I spun the entire post trying to loosen it. The parts guy advised me I cannot replace just one post. The posts and plate are a unit that is easy to remove with just four screws and a wire clipper. Then the new one is easy to install too, if I can solder. As an audio equipment dealer (and lover), a repair like this is easily within my capability.

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

They must be sending you the entire unit, which includes the crossover and wires. If you're snipping wires consider quick disconnects instead of soldering as you will find the length of the current wiring to be very short.

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  9. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

C3 please

defmoot and Warren Jarrett like this.
  10. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I want to hear about the C3 as well please.

11. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I would love to hear about the C3.

12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I have had the McCormack Micro Line Drive pre-amp since 1996 or so(running into a Parasound PA). Never a need for any other pre-amp in my life. In passive mode, doesn't even need to be plugged in and is as transparent as anything out there. I wish I had one of the Micro Power Drives like yours to check out. Back in that same time period, my buddy had the big NHT 2.9 or 3.3 towers. The ones with the angled front baffles. White ones. Those things could rock the house bigtime. He eventually got rich and bought Wilson Grand Slams lol!

13. Warren Jarrett

The management at NHT is looking at this thread, probably today, so if there are any more readers that would like to read a thorough C3 review from me, please post your interest here: the standard ones or the slightly more expensive Carbon version? See the NHT website for details about differences and prices.

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. Jbird

Jbird Forum Resident

Wonderful, thank you! I would be interested in reviews of both the standard and carbon fiber versions of the C3.

15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Seems to be strictly a cosmetic / finish difference, yes?

Anyway, 'yes' to any C-series review, thanks.

16. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

33na3rd likes this.
  17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

C3 review, please

18. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

What would be nice is to see NHT speakers being offered in other finishes besides the standard piano black.

I remember the very early SuperZero and Model 1.5 being offered in a wood finish, and the SB-1 (and SB-2 as well, I think) was offered in white. I think a wood finish or white SuperOne 2.1 would be nice.

Kyle Mooney likes this.
  19. Warren Jarrett

A little update now about the SuperOne 2.1 pair I am currently listening to. After just a couple of days, I have noticed speaker break-in. The SuperOne 2.1 sounds so good now, that I have totally forgotten about the older NHTs I previously heard. It is quite obvious now that with these NHT bookshelfs, newer models are definitley better. Apparently they are indeed a company that does its homewok.

So I am going to forget about the Classic 3, and go right to the C-3, for my final review. But first, I still have the SB-2 and SB-3 to hear and describe.

timind likes this.
  20. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Having an original pair of the SuperOnes in one system and the 2.1s in another, I'd have to disagree and say the changes between them are subtle enough to me that I'd have trouble telling which was which if I were blindfolded. The originals were driven by a Marantz PM6004 and now by a Marantz PM5005. The 2.1s are driven by a Marantz PM8004.

21. Warren Jarrett

Well, my only explanations are that our differences in opinion may depend on the amplifiers used, and/or the listener's ears doing the evaluation. With my McCormack Micro Power amp and through my ears, the difference is extremely audible and makes the original SuperOnes' sound unacceptable. I am not a fan of Marantz transistor amps, so I will keep my opinion of your evaluation to myself. Sorry, I don't mean to be snobby or "superior", but in this case I have to trust that my comparison is valid and significant. I am EXTREMELY critical, though, after 34 years of hearing high end audio at CES shows, local audio shows, and The Audio Home. You would be too, if you had the opportunity to hear the best audio equipment in the world, set-up by the manufacturers of it.

I suggest you try the speakers with exactly the same music and all the same associated equipment. And (oh, I'm sorry now, for being truly snobby) try listening through some equipment that was not made in Japan or China.
    :hide:

More than one listener has agreed with me that the excessive mid-bass generated by the original SuperOne, takes away from the punch and definition in the low bass, and even worse dilutes the purity of the midrange. The original SuperOne's highs are also too laid-back, in favor of more pulsating mid-bass volume.

22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I think NHT also states the differences are subtle. I don't have the golden ears of an audiophile, I just listen to music and am a musician so my opinion should be based on that. Sorry if you feel your feathers were ruffled. And yeah, those Marantz transistor integrateds are crap. ;)

23. Warren Jarrett

I was a design engineer, in charge of products designed by me and other USA engineers, but built to ou specs in China. This was when I say very few white guys in southern China doing the same thing. I can tell you that a product designed by Japanese engineers to be fabricated in China, versus American engineers doing the design are like apples and oranges. The Americans expect full USA standards of performance. The Japanese generally expect the Chinese stuff to be inferior, but cheaper.

24. Warren Jarrett

No, no, my feathers are fine. I just wanted to be careful to not insult you, as I respect all opinions expressed, even if I don't agree.

From a marketing standpoint, no manufacturer would usually state that they have improved a product and raised the price, but that the differences are "subtle". On the other hand, that is exactly what they say now about the C-3 compared to the Compact 3, and yet reviews on the internet not only say there was a BIG improvement, The Absolute Sound and Stereophile both published graphs and specs with show graphically a very significant improvement. I think NHT is just modest about making outlandish claims.

I never said or implied that any Marantz is so bad, in fact some of it is a little bit better than most. But it is "budget" rather than "audiophile". My listening sessions with these NHT speakers have revealed to me that they ARE audiophile AND budget, quite a respectable accomplishment.

shadowhillway and csgreene like this.
  25. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

If NHT management is indeed listening, then why doesn't NHT make some new large tower speakers like you used to? I would be interested in some sort of a C 5 tower speaker with a large subwoofer like the Classic 4s and other older speakers had.