I Am Mother-Netflix Original Science Fiction Flick

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jun 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was interesting. The setting is a human repopulation facility containing countless human embryos. The facility is run by Mother, a robot, voiced by Rose Byrnes. Mother starts with one human female embryo and raises the girl into young adulthood. Mother raises Daughter as any good mother would. She educates Daghter and is attentive to her wants and needs. Daughter looks to mother as she would a biological mother. She genuinely loves Mother and respects the robot as an authority figure. Mother tells it her that it is not safe to go out into the world, and Daughter has no reason to doubt Mother until another human, played by Hilary Swank, shows up at the facility and challenges everything that Daughter has ever believed to be true.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

sounds good...we'll check it out! thanks...

Encuentro likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You had me at Hilary Swank! I'll check it out despite lukewarm reviews, mainly for Swank (who really should do more work) and Rose Byrne (even if not in the flesh).

Encuentro likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I watched it and thought it was pretty good. First and foremost, I appreciated that it wasn't a dumb action flick, but a well crafted scifi story, if nothing groundbreaking. I quite liked the robot design, which I assume was CGI (the head shape reminded me of a Vorlon).

The girl playing Daughter, while very attractive, was oddly uncharismatic and wooden, though she did improve in the end scenes. I think someone like Angourie Rice would have been more effective in the role.

All in all, well worth a look.

5. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Too bad she was busy making the worst Black Mirror episode ever.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not sure if that comment is meant to throw shade at Angourie, but if so, I don't think it's fair to single her out for what has been an entirely disappointing season of Black Mirror. As a very young actor, she's done some really nice work in previous films like The Nice Guys, The Beguiled and Jasper Jones. I might even see if I can track down her Aussie film Ladies In Black...

7. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

No shade intended. I think she’s great. I’ve liked her since The Nice Guys. She was the only good thing in a very bad Black Mirror episode,

Deesky likes this.
  8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I watched the trailer on Netflix and thought it would have been really cool to put a twist that it ties into the Terminator world. Basically Skynet is now breeding/cloning and nurturing humans.

Would have made a better concept than the Terminator rehash we have coming in a few months.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Like The Matrix?

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  10. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

I watched it two days ago and liked it. I am weary of dystopia-themed films, so it was nice to see how this film takes a different angle on the concept. It seems really more about human/machine and human/human interactions and less about the nastiness about the end of the world. The girl who plays "Daughter" (interesting how the lack of a proper name never seems to be an issue) is very, very good. Considering her age, I would rate her as exceptionally good. Hilary Swank does a nice job of making herself unlikable. Seriously, it is a good performance by her.

Encuentro likes this.
  11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Mother, is that you?

[​IMG]

Tree of Life and Rufus McDufus like this.
  12. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I was quite disappointed in this film. It wasn't bad until Hilary Swank
    showed up (and I'm a fan) but then it just got silly. That recent Netflix
    sci-fi movie about the father and daughter (with Pablo Pascal) was much
    better, in my opinion.

13. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Just watched this one yesterday and liked it a lot. Interesting how "I Am Mother" eventually applies to Daughter. I'll admit we had to watch the Looper video to grasp everything but once we did, a lot of the wtf's turned into a-ha's.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's nice to see a sci-fi movie that makes one think and doesn't resort to CGI and mindless violence.

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

SPOILER ALERT!

I finally got round to watching this movie. I enjoyed it but felt a little let down at the end and I don't really buy what is said in the above Youtube analysis.
    Mother didn't place and survey the woman outside as part of a test. There was the scene where robot mama pressed her finger into the woman's wound, demanding where the mines were. Mother wouldn't have done this if the woman was part of his plan. Mother couldn't have predicted the arrival of the woman at the nest. Mother had no idea where the woman was, which is why it had to plant a tracker in the woman's bag in order to find her.
    What was implied was the fact that Daughter and the woman were clones. There was the scene where they were talking face-to-face through a window and the parallel implied that they were mirror images of each other. Plus the fact that the two actresses looked very much alike. The woman was in fact the baby (001) that we had seen at the begininning who escaped from the nest to find refuge in a ship container. She invented the stories about the robots torturing babies and killing people, the mines,... simply to lure daughter out as a companion. The bullet in her hip must have been an accidental ricochet, which she realised was killing her, so she had come back to the nest for help. This implies that she had no prior knowledge of Mother's master plan to create a superior human race (burning "defective" babies in the oven) otherwise, she wouldn't have returned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.