I am selling my 1964 Fisher 500C and 800C vacuum tube receivers! Take a look..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Any update Steve?

Surely they must both be done deals by now... :)

2. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Wow. My restored 800-C has given me so much pleasure over the past 8 years. The headphone output is out of this world!

4. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

What's left? 500C or 800C?

5. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

hey david, why you drive up to LA and snag these for us?

6. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

A 500C weighs close to 40lbs unpacked. Shipping will be in the $35-$45 range depending on box size and distance. But figure $35 minimum.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

OK, I have 44 PMs to go through. Thanks for your interest. These are not rare units. Fisher made a lot of them. They just happen to look good and work well.

Appreciate the interest!

8. mannymarks

mannymarks New Member

The whole character of the sound will be different, smoother.
    Your Marantz will sound like sand hitting your face compared to that Fisher.

9. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Just gotta say that because of one of Steve's eariler threds I bought a 500C on Ebay..Everything they say is true..it sounds incredible!!! Thanks Steve!

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I was using a restored Marantz 2265b before I bought my Fisher 500C. I think the Marantz is a fantastic receiver and loved the sound of it but after I plugged in the Fisher I was in for a whole new experience. I can see why these were so popular all those years ago and why they made so many of them. And the fact that there are so many still around is proof of Avery Fisher's commitment to quality. This was a time when made in the U.S.A. meant something.

11. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

i've seen some of these listed with no cabinet, like where you can see the insides and the tubes and everything. do some people use these like this, wouldn't it be dangerous?

12. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

It's not dangerous. In every vintage amp I've ever seen (other than home builts), the active electronic stuff (other than the tubes - capacitors, resistors, wiring, etc) on these units is hidden beneath a metal plate that you have to unscrew to work on. The exposed part is generally just the tubes and transformers. As long as you don't go grabbing them when they're hot or pull a tube out while the unit is turned on or something silly, all is fine, and you can be confident you're getting optimal heat dissipation when they are uncovered.

The pretty wood cases these units sometimes had (or that people make for them) are very nice to look at, but if anything probably make the units a bit more dangerous, by reducing air flow around the tubes and potentially promoting over-heating. There are some exceptions - for example my old Marantz 7c preamp had a wood case but the tubes on that unit were actually horizontally oriented sticking out of the back of the unit so they could breathe - the case just housed the electronics.

Really the only issue with exposed tubes is young kids - if they'll be spending time around the unit then you have to get some kind of cover so they don't grab one and get burned. But even then, better if they have (or you can make) some type of metal mesh tube cage that has holes to allow air circulation than plopping on some heavy wood cover.

Final issue is cost...if you ever bid on eBay on a vintage tube unit with an original wood case (or sometimes even one where the owner has made a nice one), the price is going to be considerably higher - sometimes the original wood cases are worth as much as the amp itself, or (in cases where they are scarce) perhaps more. So getting a vintage amp without the wood case may be a more cost-effective alternative if you're primarily interested in the sonics rather than collectability.

13. ssmith3046

I'm not using my cabinet because I've been rolling tubes so easy access.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Both units sold and off to Japan.

Ssmith3046:

What tubes do you roll in a Fisher? Output tubes? the inputs are always telefunkens. They came standard with Fisher and were part of the special sound.

15. ssmith3046

Steve, my unit came with six 12AX7 Telefunken smooth plates in the phono/tape inputs, tone control, and phase inverter sockets. I wanted to try some of the new production 12AX7 tubes that are being made. So far my favorites are the Genalex Gold Lion reissues. Once I plugged those in I left them in and retired the Telefunkens. My power tubes are Toshiba. I have four matched GE 7591s but I like the Toshibas. I'm not an electronics expert and no very little about tube equipment but I sure do like the way the Fisher sounds.

16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Interesting you went with new production 12ax7s. There was a time - before I had my system all set up the way I like it - that I found the Tele 12ax7s too "dull" on top (and even posted this on a prior discussion thread here) - and went with new production 12ax7s in my C2300 preamp. But since I evened out some kinks in my system (particularly getting rid of darker sounding speakers) and got all more or less neutral sounding gear, I find the Tele 12ax7s cannot be beat - perfect combination of clear but not boosted highs, tight bass, and gorgeous tube mids. When I go back and listen now to the new production 12ax7 tubes that I used to prefer - I'm sort of appalled - very thin sounding in the mids, bass less tight, and harsher on top (and I tried JJs, the stock Chinese made Svetlanas, and several others - none had what the Teles give).

Anyway YMMV but you may want to give those Tele 12ax7s another listen now that you know the sound of your amp with the other tubes in well. Listen especially to the mids - I'd be hugely surprised if you didn't hear them "pop" in a way that I've never heard them do with a new production 12ax7. BTW I haven't noticed much difference in sound between smooth and ribbed plate Teles...I may be able to convince myself the smooth plates have a little more midrange warmth but it's probably psychoacoustics - for all practical purposes they are the same.

17. ssmith3046

I agree, the Telefunkens and Mullards are hard to beat. Many consider the Telefunkens the best. I tried the the JJ gold pins and the Tung-Sol gold pins too. I'll pop the Telefunkens in but I always go back to the Genalex Gold Lions. Great lively bass, detailed mids, and smooth highs. I'm using the Telefunkens in a Fisher X-100-C integrated amp that I have in my bedroom system. Happy listening!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.