“I can’t believe I once thought that...”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrockguy, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

For some reason when I was a kid, I thought Genesis were some kind heavy metal band... I can only assume it was something to do with the album covers...
    Who knows...

2. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

As a kid, I thought Uri Geller and Rory Gallagher were the same person. :rolleyes:

3. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

i thought "try to catch the wind" was written and sung by bob dylan

I thought it was eric clampton

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  4. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

...that Ringo sang lead vocals on "Back In The USSR".

5. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Prince was a b-tier Michael Jackson

context, if you asked me what "When Doves Cry" was in 2018, I wouldn't know what you were talking about - that's how long it took

deredordica and wrappedinsky like this.
  6. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

That John Lennon was singing " And the PTA is here in town" in "Help!"

7. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

[​IMG]

unclefred and hi_watt like this.
  8. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i remember first time i saw jimmy page was when he played kashmir with puff daddy on mtv. i was like " who is this old dude" :laugh:

9. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Like Lead Belly?

10. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

“we’ll sing the old songs, like you used to do “

11. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

I assume this was a joke

12. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Thought “Stuck in the Middle With You” was Bob Dylan.

13. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I thought The White Album was meh!! That all changed after I heard the mono mix, now it’s one of my favorite Beatles albums

14. Ms. Daisy

Ms. Daisy Forum Resident

I thought Huey Lewis was singing "I want a new truck" instead of "I want a new drug."

15. I think The White Album benefitted the most from its remix, of the three Giles Martin did. I've certainly heard things in my headphones I never heard before.

16. When I first heard "Gimme Some Lovin" in 1967, I assumed Spencer Davis was the singer, and that he was black. When I learned a year or so later when Traffic was big that it was lily-white, 17 year-old, British Steve Winwood, you could have knocked me over with a feather.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember two odd things I thought when I was a kid:

1) The Yes Album was Yes's first album (I got the Rolling Stone rock encyclopedia from the library and learned the truth about this and other stuff)
    2) Based on the way their voices sounded, when I saw the photo of Crosby Stills & Nash from their first album I got Crosby and Nash mixed up (it took a while to "unlearn" this mistake)

One other mistake: a reviewer understandably assumed the voice saying "could I do one more immediately?" at the end of King Crimson's Larks Tongues In Aspic was Robert Fripp and for a while whenever I read a Fripp quote I would imagine him saying it with that voice. Eventually I learned that this isn't how Fripp's voice sounds (reportedly it was Jamie Muir saying it).

Radagast likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

My wife thought Marian McPartland from Piano Jazz on NPR was Black.

19. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I'm much younger than most here, so cut me some slack... I thought the Beatles were a novelty band. This probably stems from That Thing You Do being a staple of the family VCR in my early years. I liked them, but I didn't realize exactly what they were until I started seeing so many people proclaim them as the greatest band in history that I began to question my sanity. (I gave up questioning it quickly and just went on blissfully disconnected from reality, for the record... some of you know that already.)

Approaching my teenage years, I had a friend who loved '80s hair metal, particularly Bon Jovi. I didn't mind it, but it certainly wasn't my thing (Elvis Costello was at the time - this friend thought he sucked because he was "pop music"... but Bon Jovi wasn't?). Anyway lumped into this mess of music he liked and I didn't was Black Sabbath. I was unimpressed with "Iron Man", which not only was idiotic (just singing the same notes as the guitar and bass) sounded hideously under-produced, like these Black Sabbath guys couldn't afford a real studio like Poison or whatever else he listened to. Cut to 2015 and the self-titled song from the debut cues up on the radio while I'm in a record store. I became a Black Sabbath fan before I even knew who it was. And I was at first disappointed but then quite happy to be wrong. I'll never be a die-hard fan, but those first three albums are all masterpieces, and the following albums all have good songs.

bataclan2002, musicfan37 and Stencil like this.
  20. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

As a kid/young teen, I spent who knows how much time at mall records stores flipping through Pink Floyd CDs looking for the album that had the song “We Don’t Need No Education” on it. :laugh:

21. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

When I was a kid, the first Scorpions song I heard was Blackout. I thought "Wow! That lady can sing!" :laugh:

bataclan2002 and deredordica like this.
  22. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I'm not sure why, but when I was a kid I thought "Brown Eyed Girl" (Van Morrison) was a Rolling Stones song. Maybe I had it confused with "Brown Sugar?"

ARK and action pact like this.
  23. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

It seems like every time I play one of their records I notice another song that Ben sings. I think part of the confusion was because by the time I became a fan (in the MTV era), Ric was the central character in several of the videos ("Magic", "You Might Think", "Hello Again"). Now I see that Ben was a crucial part of the equation.

bataclan2002, PhoffiFozz and ARK like this.
  24. MilesTrane

MilesTrane Forum Resident

My daughter was singing Don’t Stop Believing. “Streetlights, people.” I said to her no, it's “streetlights , depot” Don’t know where I got that. She looked up the lyrics and I was wrong. Been singing Depot for 40 years.

25. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

You do realize you were right all along about Zep:wave::whistle::cop:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.