I did an anti-skate test last night with a LASERDISC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by radioalien, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I never start a thread for recommendations, my space, my ears and equipment is different from others. I'd rather spend the money and get my hands on what ever to try it with in my space over time. If it works out cool, if not nothing is loss but I gained the hands on experience. I don't even mind trying stuff I know will not beat out what I have, at least I gave it a shot, and gained for it.

The Mr. Marantz story is pretty cool..

Sullygr2221 and ggergm like this.
  2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Over time is the key.

3. radioalien

radioalien We came in peace for all mankind Thread Starter

I was doing some reading and really think you should check your tracking force, you could be tracking harder than you need to, laserdiscs are two aluminum discs sandwiched together covered in plastic layer, so if you are removing that much material think of what it could be doing to your records

4. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yep, I never quite understand when people go to a show or a store and say their 50 year old receiver sounds better than such and such $100,000 system they just heard for 10 minutes.

One needs to acclimate to something when listening. They will also need to do it with different moods they are in and different music over days in their own relaxed environment.

I also don't get rid of things to fast that get swapped out in preference of something else. I'v put things back in years later and wondered why I pulled it in the first place. Well I did it because I got so used to it, it lost it's wow factor, the replacement piece was new to me and different so it sounded nicer at that given time.

5. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

It's ok my tables play fine. ;)

6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I’m not a big fan of A/B methodology for audio. Also, are you recording ambiently in the room? Sounds like it. Hard to capture the sound.

4-2-7 likes this.
  7. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

The "experiment with the gear" theme that runs through this thread is terrific. Because of that ethic, I have two original audio ideas I've never seen from anyone else. One is "left lower/right raise" from upthread. The other is a troubleshooting technique I call Mitchell's Law that is an extension of Occum's Razor. My rule is "When something fails, suspect the least expensive component first." Experiment with this gear for long enough and you, too, can make your own rules.

Aftermath and 4-2-7 like this.
  8. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I have several albums that yield distortion when AS isn't optimum.

I trust that more than other methods.

ggergm and radioalien like this.
  9. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

The B side of Chilly "For your Love" 12'' is blank, everyone should have it. Even though my turntable is linear so I don't have to test anti skating.

10. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yep, an iPhone recording mono and the sound of the room that day.

11. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

FYI I recently purchased another 1-sided record with a smooth, blank B-side. It's the newest Rolling Stones single 'Living In A Ghost Town'. I was surprised they wouldn't give us a B side for the $15.00. A 10" single - mine was yellow vinyl. I'll probably stick with my Johnny Winter album for anti-skate adjustment efforts, but if anyone is looking for a 1-sided record, there ya go.

quicksrt likes this.
  12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.