I don't get "Lost In Translation"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lv70smusic, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

I loved "About Schmidt" too. For me, it was a laugh out loud riot. Many people think I am nuts because of this.

I also loved "Lost In Translation," but I can understand a younger-type person finding it boring.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Just catching up on some older threads.

I loved "Lost In Translation", not just 'cause I've been in similar situations, but because S. C.'s characters didn't take the expected road (as I did not in real life if my wife is reading this)...

By the way, the only thing he could have whispered to her in the end (to put that great expression on her face) was "We will get together again back in LA".

3. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

Well, whether you like the film or not, Bill does a pretty funny rendition of "(Whats So Funny Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding", reminds me of that lounge singer skit he used to do back in his SNL days. :)

B/F

4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Wow! Great review!! I guess that's why Ebert has a Pulitzer and I don't.

Whenever I try to convey to someone how moving a picture like LIT is, I get those kind of rebukes like, "Your explanation made me realize I'm not missing anything." (Can you be a bit *more* condescending please? Yeeesh!)

Anyway this is an intoxicating movie for people who have a high appreciation of a little thing called subtlety, a quickly vanishing quality. It's still playing to good-size audiences here in NYC. And Steve likes it!!!
    :edthumbs:

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member Thread Starter

If it's any consolation, Ebert's review didn't give me any greater appreciation of the film, either. Like I wrote earlier, to each his own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.