I “downgraded” and I’ve never been happier…

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, Mar 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Habitant

Habitant Forum Resident

Seafinch, I’ve had a similar experience with high end tube gear. I’ve been using Tannoy Berkeley for quite some time now and ran through a number of expensive tube amps including Luxman and Air Tight. I always felt that there was something missing or the sound just wasn’t quite right.

A little while ago when I was beyond frustrated and about to give up on HiFi altogether a friend loaned me a cheap Clones Audio 25irH. Of course I had zero expectations, but I humoured him. This little solid state based integrated completely trounced the big ticket amps in every regard.

On top of that I also changed my $1000 speaker cables for Belden 9497, this combination for literally pennies on the dollar is much more engaging and enjoyable. At this point, like you, I’m also just listening to the music. It’s a fantastic feeling.

rischa, Manimal, Dignan2000 and 6 others like this.
  2. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron Thread Starter

Thanks! I appreciate your comments as you and I had almost identical system a few years back. The way you stated that is exactly how I feel - I don’t think I lost anything in experimenting, instead I traded some time for some knowledge. I don’t doubt that at some point I’ll change things up again, but for now I’m excited to have a clearer idea of what I like.

jusbe and avanti1960 like this.
  3. Seafinch

Awesome! Just goes to show that this hobby isn’t as simple as “spend more, get more”.

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

part of the problem with more expensive system components is that you want them to live up to expectations in line with the investment. while they may sound slightly better there are times when overall they become a wash, you get tone but give up soundstage, for example.
    of course these pieces are very good and highly regarded but when they are under the microscope of critical honest evaluation you consider if your expectations, based on what you value in sound quality are truly being met.
    the worst position an audio and music lover can be in is to try and rationalize that what you are hearing is pure bliss, to work at convincing yourself based on expectations, when it doesnt really sound that way to your ears.
    listening to music with that kind of conflict takes the enjoyment out of it.

WHitese, Jerry James, rischa and 6 others like this.
  5. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

No worries. I am happy for you. Everyone's journey winds up in a different place.

I might better have said, it's only hype here in the forums. It's just different choices out in the real world.

Seafinch likes this.
  6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I wouldn't call that a downgrade - but anyhow - you really have to love Cornwalls - they are quite enjoyable. Congrats.

Vinyl Archaeologist and Seafinch like this.
  7. Seafinch

100%.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek when I said “downgrade” but I think lowering the amount of money I had invested in the system let me enjoy it more without constant evaluation, BUT when I do go into critical listening mode it’s definitely different, but not worse. In fact, for my tastes, it’s even better.

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That's hardly downgrading is it? You merely switched from some overpriced boutique brands to some highly regarded more affordable gear. Plus a speaker with a presentation you prefer. New Cornwalls are actually rather pricey! BTW you just discovered how overrated Audio Note and Harbeth generally are (especially on this forum).

IRG, rebellovw and Seafinch like this.
  9. Seafinch

Haha. Yeah I wasn’t actually serious about it being a downgrade, but I did put a lot of money back into my pocket.

I actually have fond memories of the Harbeth setup and wouldn’t be opposed to having them again at some point :)

10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I heard the same setup in the same room, around the same time, in fact. The phono stage in that system was a Heed Quasar.

(whispering): Tssss, don't let @Richard Austen see that - he'll have you drawn and quartered!

Tssss (see above...)

Seafinch likes this.
  11. Seafinch

Haha. I figured he’d find his way over here eventually, but now that you’ve tagged him... :)

jusbe likes this.
  12. Benzion

I like how you felt the O-96's were out of your range, and then spent more than that on all the O-93's, LM, AN, Shindo, Luxman, SIT-2 (how did you like it, BTW? - I was intrigued by it for a while, but then went with a 300B SET amp in the end).

Anyways - welcome back home, is all I can add.

Seafinch likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I bought the Line Magnetic 508IA @Seafinch had and paired it with Harbeth C7s. Fantastic combination. Extremely happy.

14. Seafinch

Yeah. Reading through that might have made it feel like it all happened on top of each other but there was a good three years between hearing o/96 and getting all that other stuff. Other thing i failed to mention was that I’ve never really had the space for the o/96 - that’s one thing that lead me to AN - corner placement was doable in my old room and new room.

jusbe likes this.
  15. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

Love this; should be required reading before chasing any “upgrades.”

16. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I am a big fan of Audio Note, but am a bigger fan of happiness. I am glad you found yours.

WHitese, Tullman, Manimal and 6 others like this.
  17. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Spot on!

jusbe and Seafinch like this.
  18. Benzion

At some point last year, I was going through agonizing indecisiveness regarding my speakers in the bedroom system - the old trusted PSB Image T-45's. They're a very "neutral" sounding speaker, not warm, not clinical - adequate, but not exciting. They were my first "real" set of speakers, bought with my first "real" NAD system back around 2003-2004. And, before 2016 (when I got back into this hobby, bought my first turntable after a long break from vinyl, and subscribed to this forum) I just played them without overthinking it.

But, after having been "seasoned" for some time, I knew what to listen for, and realized that I wasn't "liking" the PSB's any more, but rather just tolerating them. So, I started researching various speakers, and at some point or another, had my mind set, intermittently, on the new Tannoy XT-6F's, then on Polk LSIM 705's, then on different PSB's, then on Ohm Walsh, until my head just spinned.

So, after reading a post How I Transformed My Home Listening Experience here, out of curiosity, I bought a pair of Aperion supertweeters, for $299, and with them, the top end improved substantially, but the low end was still lacking.

Then, as a stop-gap measure (I thought at the time), I went ahead and did something unthinkable to me theretofore - I bought a sub-woofer, a compact Cambridge Audio Minx x201. To explain - after my first, very unsuccessful experience with a low-end Yamaha sub-woofer in the late 90's, I was positively against sub-woofers, period. But here I thought - what the heck, if I don't like it, I'll just return it, thank heavens for Amazon Prime. This time, I took great pains in setting it up, and to dial it in by ear (unlike with the Yamaha experience, where I didn't, and didn't like the result).

But now, voila - the end result is I no longer feel the need for new speakers. The Aperions and the CA Minx "extended" the range of PSB's, gave them new "muscle" top and bottom, so now the speakers essentially concentrate on mid-range, and the overall sound is quite good, for only a $649 additional investment.

Sorry if it took a while, but the point I'm trying to make is sometimes, rather than agonize over having to change components on the big scale, it pays to try little tweaks, to see if you can get the big changes in sound you want.

Manimal, Dignan2000, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  19. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Being proud of a system for the wrong reasons didn't get you any closer to the music. It doesn't matter how much the gear costs or is revered. Good on you for taking that journey and trusting yourself. Enjoy the music!

jusbe, Strat-Mangler and Seafinch like this.
  20. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

I’ve never heard anything made by Audio Note but the Kool-Aid vibe surrounding this line reminds me in some ways of a trumpet brand that burst on the scenes (back in the 80s I believe) called Monette. Models with names like Prana and Raja that cost ten times what pros were earning a living with (Benge, Schilke, Bach, Calicchio) designed by a fellow who enveloped himself in a carefully thought out and vigorously marketed mystique (new design ideas came to him while he was practicing various eastern meditation techniques, etc.) and who made bank on second rate trumpet players’ insecurities and gullibility. Sold mainly to dentists who played in summer community bands or at church but also endorsed by a few real players who got theirs for free (Marsalis). Eventually the fad died down but not before spawning a new cottage industry with several brands devoted to making obscenely expensive boutique trumpets few working musicians can actually afford, and which perform no better, and sometimes worse, than standard pro-level instruments.

I realize that branding is important. If you want to sell anything these days you have to find or make a niche and then target that niche with all your might. Klipsch is for weed-smoking gray ponytails who can finally afford a new Harley ... Harbeth is for refined, pipe-smoking gentleman in their slippers ...

Makes me want to start a new thread about various brands and their carefully crafted niche/ethos/demographic targets.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  21. Benzion

I bought my new Harley when absolutely bald. Still no ponytail, and no weed smoking (got asthma). I do own a pair of Klipsch though - RB-51's in the kitchen system.

22. William Bryant

But you would have that ponytail if you could!

Manimal likes this.
  23. Benzion

Nah, I'm bald by choice, my hair curls naturally, and I hate it. I sport a beard though, as befits both my Harley and my Jewish heritage.

EDIT: And I have a Magnum Dynalab FT-101A tuner in my system, like you do!

Manimal, tyler8, timind and 1 other person like this.
  24. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I honestly think the AN hype is "localized" phenomenon. I've been patronizing the same Brick and Mortar dealer for 20 years, and he has carried it all of that time. But the only place I ever heard anything about (in any volume) was here. In fact, my pre-purchase research brought me here. Our host uses the gear, and a relatively high-profile reviewer/advocate hangs out here as well. And a few super fans.

All of which is my way of saying, don't let the ramblings, rantings, ravings and repetition here at SHF color the brand. In the larger scheme of things, AN is one of many. But the point is they really are legitimate, and have a long track record. "Darling" brands (i.e. much hyped by the faithful) sometimes are a flash in the pan, and sometimes have the chops to last. Either way, unfortunately, the chatter can be annoying.

It's the medium not the message, perhaps.

None of that should take away from the OPs landing point / happy place.

jonwoody, emenel, hvbias and 2 others like this.
  25. William Bryant

Yep. Several of Wynton’s best CDs were recorded on Monette trumpets. Good instruments irrespective of marketing hype—and obscene price.

Subagent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.