I finally burned an LP scammer on Ebay

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Led9, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Whether or not they are owned by eBay doesn't change the fact that you're out 3% on top of everything else.

And reps of eBay have stated that eBay's new payment system will implement the same rule.

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Not true. I just had to refund someone who backed out of a purchase after paying for the item.

The only thing not recovered was that little 3o cent transaction fee, or however much it is.

3. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

It does matter because they're different companies. Where do you have a rep saying this?

4. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

feedback is essentially meaningless now anyway since anything can be removed if the seller begs on the phone long enough. A good way to see a troublesome buyer is to look at the feedback that they leave.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

For transactions that started after Oct 11. So if you were refunding a payment made before Oct 11 you wouldn't see it:

PayPal reinstates controversial policy of pocketing fees from refunds

Dave and rnranimal like this.
  6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

In what way? What do you look for?

I was speaking more along the lines of being able to block buyers with certain amounts of negative ratings. If they don't get negative ratings anymore, then the block means nothing. I can't know whose feedback to look through until after they've made a purchase so it's kind of worthless then anyway even if I find that they seem like trouble.

formu_la likes this.
  8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Another buyer scam I just noticed when I saw a working Mac laptop go for $100 when it was easily worth at least $600. I couldn't understand how it would go for so little and then looked at the bidding history. It looks like what someone does is use another accounts to drive the price way up right away beyond its real value so that no one else bids on it and then at the last minute, they retract all those other bids, leaving their main account's lower bid. Ebay allows exceptions to the rule of not being able to retract a bid with less than 12 hours left on the auction and one of those is just claiming you bid the wrong amount.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This is an old scam. It's called bid shielding.

It used to be rampant. Then eBay changed their policy so that during the last 12 hours of an auction, only bids made within the last 12 hours could be retracted for any reason. This helped a bit. But it still goes on.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, I'm seeing posts about it going back a years but it wasn't something I was aware of. The auction I saw was just a few weeks ago. I just read the bid retract rules and they give exceptions to that 12 hours rule. All you have to do is claim you bid the wrong amount.

I'm reading posts from a few years ago about bidders with hundreds or even thousands of bid retractions on their account. I wonder if that still goes on.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.