I forgot how great Echo and the Bunnymen are

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, May 6, 2017.

1. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I must say, it's not essential. I like the drum machine a lot, and the different arrangements were interesting, but the studio versions are superior in every way. They come across almost like demos.

TheSeldomSeenKid and c-eling like this.
  2. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

Totally agree. New Direction as an example is excellent.

c-eling likes this.
  3. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

Ian’s solo album Candleland is amazing. Great introspective late night listening. Music simple but they pack an emotional wallop.

c-eling, PhantomStranger and hutlock like this.
  4. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

I hope they have another good album in them, but I doubt it. I have no interest in the recent album of re-imagined songs and I did not care for either Meteorites or The Fountain. The tour they did a few years back performing the first 2 albums was great and the set was much longer than usual.

palisantrancho likes this.
  5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I saw them on the 87 tour with New Order and despite the fact that they were touring on the back of the Grey Album they only played 3 songs from it — Lips Like Sugar, Bedbugs and Ballyhoo, and Bombers Bay — which I found to be VERY strange considering they played more from both Crocodiles and Ocean Rain. I remember thinking that THEY must not like the album much themselves if they only played that many songs from it.

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Pete de Freitas was a crucial addition to the band. The later Peel sessions are more interesting.

7. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I gave you a 'Like' not only for your Comment, but also for a Great Avatar that I listed on a Recent Thread of Favorite Album Covers. I bought the recent Vinyl Reissue for 'The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein'(only owned it on CD) with the Lenticular Cover(also used for 'The Mothership Connection' that also bought, as again for that Album, I just own the CD), just for the awesome Artwork(and assuming the Mastering might not be Great).

I am surprised that except for a Few Vinyl Reissues from the 'Respect the Classics' Label, that other Labels are not putting out Vinyl Reissues with Lenticular Covers. Imagine how Awesome the Hipgnosis Artwork for Albums would look with Lenticular Covers?

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

I have not yet heard the recent Re-imagined Songs Album(The Stars, The Sun and The Moon?), but I liked 'Meteorites'(although seemed more like a Mac Solo Album). I did think that 'The Fountain' was their Worst Album, so assumed the end had come, which is why 'Meteorites' was a pleasant surprise for me.

black sheriff likes this.
  9. It's a pity about the mastering for Meteorites though (at least on CD). The songs were a strong batch.

dee, findog3103 and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

Do you own the Vinyl? If so, any problems with the Mastering and Pressing? What Pressing Plant was used?

11. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

Not long home from the Bunnymen in Manchester. Another solid, if unspectacular gig ticked off.

The set list hasn't changed much in the last few years, the usual suspects in a greatest hits type set, the real interest nowadays is which Ian will turn up. The rock god, coolness personified through the dry ice, or the drunk, slurring his words, exchanging stares with Will and generally asking the crowd for a fight.

It was neither last night to be honest, he was Ian by numbers really, not much in the way of banter, and he certainly wasn't drinking the whole gig.

I'm hoping by the time the new album comes round later in the year they can add a few new tunes to the set, or dig out some older songs they've not played in a while, as I think it's time to freshen it up a bit.

Still, Glasgow in August next. :cool:

12. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Crocodiles...A+:righton:

& the other first 3....A

13. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Never got the appeal myself. I heard All My Colours on a Peel session at the time and thought it was okay, tried a few other songs off a compo (Songs To Learn And Sing?) but, it was a no from me.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Admittedly, I don't know the latter day albums as well as the first five by original lineup, but a beautiful song shuffled on iPod this morning and I had to look and see what it was: "Just A Touch Away" off Evergreen.

Check it out if you never heard it (or not in ages like me!).

TheSeldomSeenKid, c-eling and Hush like this.
  15. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I never forgot. Still listen to the 80's classics when I'm in the mood.

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Man I love that song...the orchestration is so damn good.

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

Always has been a Top 5 Bunnymen Song for me. Most of the 'Evergreen' Album is very good. I was on vacation about 10 years ago and was in a Used CD Store browsing and bought another copy of the CD just to play in the Rental Car.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Clearly I need to revisit that album!

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

I also think 'Siberia' is their best Post 2000 Album and glad 'Meteorites' was good, as I did not care at all for 'The Fountain' and thought the end had come. Guess no idea how good the next Album that is suppose to be released this year will be, but will find out soon hopefully(not sure of the Release Date).

I also bought Mac's Solo Albums(Candleland & Mysterio) that were reissued with a Bonus CD for each Album. Although, 'What Are You Going To Do with Your Life' seemed also more like a Mac Solo Album even though it was still under the Bunnymen Name.

c-eling and Hush like this.
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think the string of:

(Electrafixion) Burned
    Evergreen
    What Are You Going To Do With Your Life?
    Flowers
    Siberia

Is better than the "classic" era

PhantomStranger, SJP and c-eling like this.
  21. The Acid Mouse

The Acid Mouse Forum Resident

The Bunnyem are so frustrating these days - I feel they need a good producer to shake them up. Will's interest in psychedelia should be brought into the picture and the songs moved away from the plodding nature of recent years. In the early days they were never dull and I'd hate to see this iconic band end up that way.

palisantrancho likes this.
  22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think bringing in Youth for Meteorites was a brilliant idea, but that mix and mastering does not make for a good listen.

dee and jamesc like this.
  23. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

My favorite song on Evergreen. I love that album!

24. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I agree with all the comments that the last good album was Siberia. Meteorites was ok, but it's not an album I have revisited much. I really disliked a few songs on it and the production with two Mac vocals battling for lead. I think the well has dried up. Mac needs to let Will take the lead on the next album. If you haven't hear the album Poltergeist that Will and Les did you need to check it out! It's what the Bunnymen should sound like these days! Anton from Brian Jonestown has said he would love to produce them. That would be a cool collaboration.

JeffMo and jamesc like this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Love the Electrafixion stuff.
    I stopped after Life (which I highly enjoy), really need to check out those last two on your list Curve. They came after the extinction of my local music shops.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Curveboy likes this.