I forgot how great Echo and the Bunnymen are

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, May 6, 2017.

1. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

If you don't get too tied to the idea of it being a proper Bunnymen album, it's a cool little record of its own. Noel Burke does an admirable job but he's no Mac. The highlight is that Will really shines throughout. Worth checking out if you get a chance.

nsmith1002 and Rodney Toady like this.
  2. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Thanks! I am usually very lenient and unprejudiced when it comes to upheavals in band line-ups, so I probably should try and seek out a copy.

3. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Seeing them live in 1984 rates as one of the most amazing gigs I've ever seen. And I've seen easily 500 bands in my lifetime. Ocean Rain is a masterpiece.

JeffMo and villiers terrace like this.
  4. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

You probably already know this, but anyone that loves Will's playing shouldn't overlook the instrumental album he and Les Pattinson did under the name Poltergeist.

Poltergeist (18) - Your Mind Is A Box (Let Us Fill It With Wonder)

jamesc likes this.
  5. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

It seems the pop world can only handle one mega band, in this case U2.
    Echo and Bunnymen should be right up there with them!

6. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I love the idea of more live Bunnymen being released but just grabbing the tracks from the Crystal Days set and plopping them on vinyl is not what I had in mind. These labels have gotten so lazy. Why not release the entire concert? I remember they played Angels and Devils and an early version of Satellite when I saw them at the Aragon Ballroom in early '86.

JeffMo, c-eling and villiers terrace like this.
  7. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

manicpopthrill likes this.
  8. maashe

maashe New Member

One of my favorite concerts. Lexington Ky 1988. They were great.

davers likes this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

For the newbie or casual fan the OAS box uses the good old mastering's :cheers:

10. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

11. davers

davers Forum Resident

Villiers Terrace is such a cool tune...still sounds fresh today!

12. Slubberdegullion

Slubberdegullion Forum Resident

I remember the NME called them "the U2 it's OK to like," probably in the 1980s when that magazine was all about telling people what was and what was not OK to like.

Bananas&blow and c-eling like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

They may have been right, I listen to Echo/Ian far more than I do U2 :laugh: :hide:

JeffMo, jamesc and negative1 like this.
  14. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

One of my favorite bands of all time... Top five for me. I grew up in the 70's but goodness me I loved the 80's!

The MEZ and davers like this.
  15. Slubberdegullion

Slubberdegullion Forum Resident

They definitely had a point here, even though the NME itself could easily be accused of the pomposity they despised in U2.

c-eling likes this.
  16. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

It is... and it does. I believe it is still my favourite track on Crocodiles - and one of my all-time Bunnymen favourites.

davers likes this.
  17. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i'm not a fan of their early albums, but they all have great songs on them.

i'm more of mid-era, to late era band.. i think they've actually gotten better with age, and are quite consistent
    which amongst 80s groups.

i'm glad they're not as big as U2, i've seen them before several years ago at a festival, and their music is much better
    suited at smaller venues, and not huge stadiums.

i also think the ian mcculloch solo albums and projects are excellent too, and i listen to those frequently.

good to see other fans out there.

later

wrappedinsky likes this.
  18. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

There is actually a surprisingly large amount of professionally recorded video of the Bunnymen from the 80s. However, I doubt that most (if any) of it will ever get a professional release. I started collecting it around a decade ago when I first discovered the Bunnymen.

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following concerts which are fairly easily to find in lossless format (i.e., VHS to dvd) if you know the right channels: Sefton Park (1982); Rockpalast (1983); A Crystal Day (1984); Life at Brian's (1984); Madrid (1984); Rio De Janeiro (1987); plus, the Pictures on My Wall and Porcupine music video compilations.

JeffMo and jamesc like this.
  19. davers

davers Forum Resident

I think their level of popularity is about right sized. I love 'em but let's face it, their records also have a lot of darker sounding material that doen't appeal to a mass audience.

20. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

I agree about them suiting smaller venues. I was very fortunate in 1985 to see them at a secret gig in Liverpool where they performed in a pub under a false name as a favour to a friend. There were probably about 50 people in there and admission was by ticket only, which I've still got:

[​IMG]

This is the only photo I've ever been able to find of the night which shows Will to the right and obviously Mac and Pete. It should give an idea of how small the venue was:

[​IMG]

A brilliant night even though we never saw anything of the raffle or free buffet....

MTJ104, JeffMo, Topcheeseman and 11 others like this.
  21. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Not a big fan of Ocean Rain, but '83-'84 It felt like it was between the Bunnymen and The Smiths for best live band on the planet. I can remember incendiary shows at Hammersmith Palais, Royal Albert Hall, and Glastonbury (with the lasers and mud) which were absolutely mind-blowing.

The MEZ and Karnak like this.
  22. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Madonna was there? :)

Bananas&blow and black sheriff like this.
  23. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

They were an incredible band at their peak. I listen to the early albums regularly. Caught them at The Barrowlands and Edinburgh Playhouse in the 80s and they were brilliant.

24. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

That's the band's wives and girlfriends table :)

dmiller458 likes this.
  25. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

agreed. Great band. Ian McCulloch's Mysterio is a great record also.

Rochdale3 and juno6000 like this.