I got ripped off on US Audio Mart - Becareful!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PB Point, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Yeah, one example --- the seller is Mogoraug on Ebay for turntables. He has literally scared of 75% of real Japanese sellers on Ebay... but continues to do it. There are more.

2. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

Damn. That's shady. The stuff people come up with to make a buck....

Ezd likes this.
  3. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

eBay limits the maximum shipping fee a seller can charge on media items (CDs, records, video games, etc.) to $4.00. Luckily, USPS Media Mail is cheap (and trackable) and usually costs less than $4 to ship.

4. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Yep, media mail is cheap, trackable, and reliable, albeit slow. I typically add insurance at my own expense if it's a particularly expensive record.

Guitarded likes this.
  5. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Not true at all. Once upon a time that was the case, but it's been years. It was a glitch that desperately needed fixing.

Check it out:

1970’s Classic Rock Lp Lot Of 4 Vinyl Vg+ 1st Pressings Gatefold Original | eBay

6. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

So you're the guy? You're really the guy? The guy that talked to every single American and scientifically proved that a majority are dishonest? Congrats big guy! I would have spent my time doing something a little more fulfilling I suppose, but to each his own.

#muted

7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

One thing I've learned about on-line purchases - beyond the 'description' issues - is that the shipping aspect is the second area rife with potential problems. It amazes me to no end what a small percentage of sellers do once they have your money: minimal inadequate packing.

My rule is no purchases of fragile or complex items like audio gear that require mailing and handling for transit. I would rather go to a brick & mortar and pay twice the price than take a chance on a 'savings' and have something like a turntable shipped through system. I may take a chance on a seller that has a real store and/or a well established history and reputation for on line sales.

8. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Plus, I've been buying and selling on Ebay for many years --- items both big and small, high dollar and low dollar --- and I have never experienced that "short change" shipping example he gave. He said 95% of sellers --- that is nonsense --- maybe it happens but it certainly doesn't represent 95% of transactions on Ebay...

9. JustGotPaid

$4 shipping for you Americans is awesome. So much more cost effective. We get hosed by Canada Post and continue to take it. Its at least $14 to ship one LP.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

USPS is only 13.2 billion in debt.:shh:

jeff

somnar likes this.
  11. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

It's sad too because as you know most Japanese sellers are the kindest most respectful people you could ever deal with. In Japan mistreating a customer is pretty much the cardinal sin.

12. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I actually just received a cart and headshell from a guy on USAudiomart so it's not all bad...communication is the key and if anything feels off just abandon ship.

13. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kudos to PayPal, just recieved notification they are refunding my money. I put the complaint in on Thursday...received email Tuesday about the full refund.

Also Kudos to USAM (Canuck Audio Mart) I emailed a question about a different TT to the seller in Vancouver and they immediatly sent an email saying...

Reminder: This user has no feedback. Always do your due diligence, ask for “proof of ownership” and consider Escrow or PayPal “Goods & Services” for payment. For more info see our page on protecting yourself and our safety tips.”

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

At least this story ends with a happy ending. Glad you got your money back @PB Point .

Strat-Mangler and PB Point like this.
  15. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

This thread had me worried as I started a transaction on us audio mart last week.

Seller had good rep and the transaction & delivery went smoothly - got my order today. All is good.

So, gotta chime in and say it's more about the person, not the venue.

Whew....:righton:

Kyhl, AllenR and 808_state like this.
  16. ChefE

ChefE Active Member

USAM or the Cantucket Audio Mart should not be ostracized or blamed for the problematic elements of doing business. Yes they provided the platform and the technical aspects of doing a transaction. But they are relying on positive expectations and experiences in order to have a reputable website. If bad transactions are the norm, why would we use that website knowing that information? To rip someone off? To get ripped off?

It all comes down to the seller and buyer.

I've been ripped off, lied to, etc. Of course the sellers posting states something which 'implies' the truth or hints around the real facts by using certain lingo or phrases, which seem to shift seller accountability for the item...but the real truth is what's not revealed. I too am glad PayPal and eBay stepped in and sided with me, the buyer. After all, if there's no buyers, they don't make money. It makes sense they side with buyers and not sellers.

Anyway here's some things I typically see. I will not buy from these people.
    Some examples of the seller saying " ". ( But the reality is)

"It worked fine when I used it last." (20 years ago or before tossing it in a non-temperature controlled pest infested storage unit. Later retrieved the item, tested it and found it no longer worked....)
    "Item is untested." (C'on man...your a adult. Why do you not own speakers or a stereo, despite your selling audio equipment? Or telling a lie [see above])
    "For its age it has its known issues." (No, you didn't take care of it. Or you played the crap out of it in college.)
    "No power cord" or "no serial number" (Likey it was stolen at some point, especially if power cord was cut.)
    "Oh, I forgot to send the package" (If there actually was a package. )
    "Oh, I forgot to send the package" (But you sure didn't forget to take my money!!)

Sound familiar?

I believe honesty is the best policy.

Dave and nosliw like this.
  17. ChefE

ChefE Active Member

Ps... All my transactions on the mart have been great.

18. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Add to that list.

"Has 'X' problem that can easily be fixed by the next owner" If it is easily fixed then fix it, or else it isn't easy. I don't want your broken or mangled crap because I am not a flipper. If a flipper is your target then price it that way.

vwestlife, Shawn and nosliw like this.
  19. Helom

Helom Forum member

Always, Always begin an email exchange with the seller/buyer and request confirmation emails when the item ships, etc.

I've had mostly good experiences on USAM. Only a couple transactions where the item turned out to be in good condition instead of excellent or mint according to USAM's rating guide.

One time, a guy who was really a Canadian resident masquerading as a U.S. resident, sent me funds via Paypal and I got pegged with a higher fee due to the currency exchange. He had the amp shipped to a U.S. address just over the border in Washington state - some sort of marine company. It wasn't worth making an issue out of it as his preceding emails where quite obnoxious.

I liken buying used gear to buying a used car - always a risk - the older the gear the greater a risk that you're buying a defunct or not-as-described item. I also find it amusing that nearly every seller claims their gear is kept in a smoke-free, pet-free, child-free, climate-controlled home.

Whoopycat likes this.
  20. JustGotPaid

Always apply "Rule of 3" when it comes to listed hours on a used cartridge. If seller says 100hrs.... its more like 300hrs.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If I see any of the above listed quotes in any A/V component listing they are totally ignored. One has to use common sense when buying used A/V gear on sites like US Audiomart. I've seen numerous threads in different A/V forums where people post they were ripped off. Many of these people paid with an unsecured forms of payment and or dealt with sellers with no transaction history. It's unfortunate but one has to be aware of what they are doing.

22. SAddison

SAddison New Member

How can you say you got ripped off in just 1 week? For one thing, if it was shipped Parcel Select or FedEx Sure Post, you won't see it for 2 weeks. Secondly, federal law requires it to be shipped within 30 DAYS, not 30 minutes. PayPal protects, you, credit cards protect you. You are being overly harsh on Audio Mart

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  23. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

tlowe, RhodesSupremacy and Aftermath like this.
  24. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I'm going to start adding to my listings, "my children looked at this and showed no interest in it".

My favorites are the folks selling due to a recent retirement or downsizing to an apartment, but they just bought the gear 6 months ago. There are an awful lot of audiophiles who seem to get hit with unexpected retirements out of the blue.

patrickd, jonwoody and Helom like this.
  25. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

This is offensive as all hell. How did no one call you out yet? Where is the kingdom of virtuosity you hold dear, 'cause America is the best I've seen.

BluTorch, scottc1963, slovell and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.