I got whupped by an Ebay creep yesterday

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Pete Puma, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete Puma

Pete Puma Forum Veteran Thread Starter

Has this ever happened to you on ebay: You bid on something that you like and nobody else bids on it for days, then 50 seconds before the end of the bidding, an ebay creep gets a higher bid in before you can possibly respond in time with another bid of your own. I got nailed yesterday as I tried to get one of those Canadian Help CDs with the original mix. Man was I pi**ed! It has happened to me before and I hate it. I can understand the strategy for doing this but, it does smack of being underhanded and, in general, rude.:realmad: Sorry, I had to vent.

2. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

It's happened to me several times.I hate ebay.:realmad:

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

This is called 'sniping' and it's perfectly legal. I've done it, a lot of guys here do it, it's called playing the game--win some, lose some. Sorry if you don't like that, but if you don't like the rules, don't play. When I lose, I don't take it personally, sharks understand each other. If you're not a shark, well...:D

:ed:

4. Vinophile

Vinophile Active Member

If you really wanted the item then you should have waited until the final seconds instead of bidding days before the auction ended! Everyone bids late if they want the item, thats how it works i'm afraid.

5. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Bid high and bid late if you want the item! Watch out for Ed, Norm and a host of us others. :D

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Thats the way its done. No creep there. High bid wins nomatter when you bid.

7. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Here's how I approach Ebay:
    1. Find something I want.
    2. Consider how much I want the item, then decide how much I'd pay for it (if I ran across it in a store for instance) and enter that as my maximum bid.
    3. Sit back and wait to see what happens.
    I've won many records on Ebay for rediculously low prices. I've also paid a lot more than I probably should have for some things, but I wanted them and was OK with it. And I've lost out to a lot of last-minute sniping.
    However, I set my maximum price and live or die by it. It can be frustrating (especially when I go back to look and see that the winning bid was only a buck more than my max, but them's my rules and I sticks by 'em.)

8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Thats what i do 95% of the time.

9. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I am an eBay creep...

(ah - the first step in the 12 step program :D )

10. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

In many cases, bidding early to your budget works better since the early bidding eliminates bargain hunters and habitual bidders from the process. Furthermore, many people have a similar price ceiling for the given item and I will get there first if I put in my bidding in first. You're not often ending up with great bargains with this tactic but you're more likely to get the items you want at a reasonable market price.

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Calling an eBay sniper a creep is uncalled-for in my opinion.

12. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

The purpose of this is catching the others off-guard, when they are certain they will win the item and/or consider themselves the only bidders.
    I've been sniped a lot on items I though I am the only one watching...

13. Doonie

Doonie New Member

Yep. Happens. I do it. :D

What gets my goat are people who bid high early in the auction and never bid again. They could at least show more interest than that or leave the price low for those of us who actually want the item. ie. Prices would be lower if people didn't do that.

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

What I find very annoying is people who start a bidding war with hours or even days to go :sigh: - unless I'm the seller, of course... :angel: ;) I think prices would be lower if they'd wait until the very end of the auction.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It's an auction. You can bid at any time before the auction closes and the high bidder wins. Regardless of strategy, you win some and you lose some.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm an eBay creep I guess.

I never place a bid on an item until the last 30 seconds.

People who bid on stuff with 5 days to go are sort of creepy in my opinion. They drive the price up for everyone. Very silly. The point of an auction is to hold your hand until the last minute; show no interest and keep the price low until the end. Any other way just won't work.

So, I'm a creep.

17. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

That's how bidding works, its just faster in the internet world. But there is nothing 'wrong' with it.

I dont 'snipe'. Like other folks, I just set the max amount I am willing to pay and check after the aution has ended.

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Sour grapes. You employed the wrong strategy. Sorry, but that's the flat out truth. Sniping is perfectly within the rules on eBay, obviously.

Calling somone a creep because they used a better strategy than you is a bit extreme, me thinks.

19. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Sniping is not creepy or underhanded, it is intelligent bidding.

20. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I'm guilty of that, but it gets back to what other folks have said about bidding to your budget. If I think something's worth 20 bucks, that's what I bid. If I get sniped, so be it, but at least I didn't go out of my range.

I probably don't have the same success rate as someone who waits till the last minute, but my wallet would be a lot emptier if I played the snipe game.

Jeff

21. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

I was p*ssed the first time it happened to me, then I had a revelation. I needed to learn how to play the game. I did and I got over it.

22. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I'm a creep too - it's usually the only way to not drive up the price prematurely and end up with what you want (unless you leave eBay completely and don't mind digging through thousands of records for a couple of rare ones).

23. Pete Puma

Pete Puma Forum Veteran Thread Starter

Not in mine.

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In that case I regard it as a compliment.

25. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

If you wanna play the game, learn the rules first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.