I hate headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CodecCowboy, Dec 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

There are also the Mysphere headphones that share a similar design as the K1000 and RAAL. But also expensive.

The Sennheiser HD800 will get you a more out-of-your-head presentation. The HD800 drivers are positioned and angled to present a spacious sound that can be outside your head and out in front of your forehead. They can do that way better than the HD600/HD650. The HD800 can be found used for $900 and less. The HD800 is a neat headphone and probably what you're after in both tonality and soundstage/imaging.

CodecCowboy likes this.
  2. Ham Sandwich

The amps that can do the big out of your head soundstage/headstage thing are generally the expensive ones in the $2K+ category. And generally tube amps. And generally the SET style amps and tube designs that let the tubes be tubes. Examples of amps I've heard do this are amps like the Eddie Current Balancing Act with 300B tubes, Eddie Current Zana Deux, Decware Zen Taboo, and other tube amps like that. Some really special solid state and hybrid amps can also do a degree of that, but only a degree.

With tube amps like that the headstage is out of your head. Imaging can be out in front of your forehead. All with regular headphones like the HD650. No crossfeed or DSP going on. Just tube sonic holography. The Decware Zen Taboo does have what they call a Lucid Mode that can be engaged. Lucid Mode adds to the effect, but isn't a crossfeed.

Hearing headphones with amps like that is a different experience from regular headphone listening.

The really good solid state and hybrid amps don't do the tube holography thing, but can still do an interesting headstage that is out of your head, but not to the degree of those tube amps. Part of that trick may be in their distortion profiles. Bob Katz explored how 2nd harmonics can enhance the perception of headstage depth with headphone listening. But that effect still depends on having a very good amp that sounds effortless, open, and transparent.

3. trd

trd Forum Resident

depends on what he’s listening to!

CodecCowboy and bhazen like this.
  4. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

As long as you live in apartment, cranking tunes (at 2am) is not an option. I finally spent money on Focal hp’s (Drop Elex) and while i still prefer my speakers the Focals sound great. Put your big boy pants on & buy some decent headphones! Good luck! And buy yur neighbors some cookies.

CodecCowboy and trd like this.
  5. CodecCowboy

CodecCowboy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I literally realized my neighbors could hear my stereo so I’m looking for a solution...

6. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

The key to not hating headphones is that you need some nice ones with a hp amp. If you get some cheap pair and hook it up to your phone it won't be very fulfilling.

I've got hifiman he-1000s with a wa5le amp and it gives an amazing holographic effect with sounds around my head in 3d space.

WapatoWolf likes this.
  7. CodecCowboy

How isolating are they? Can I still hear whats going on around me? Not that there’s anything I need to hear, but I really hate when headphones nock out all the room tone.

8. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Headphones are amazing to hear/experience the music differently. There are also many albums that lend themselves to headphone listening.

Echo likes this.
  9. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

Grado 225e and Schiit Vali amp, about $350 total. Some don't care for the Grado sound but I do. With a 32 ohm impedance, the Vali can drive them to insane levels. I run the amp in low-gain mode.

sharedon and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. CodecCowboy

I’ve heard they kind of sound like horn speakers which sounds like a nightmare to me. Any truth to this?

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

CC, Does your Anthem preamp have a headstone jack on it or are you going to need a headphone amp as well?

12. Ham Sandwich

The Sennheiser HD800 is extremely open. It doesn't block external sound. The body of the ear cups is a sort of metal mesh. You will still hear what is going on around you better than headphones like the HD600/HD650.

The HD800 are fussy about amping. They need good quality amplification. They also tilt to the bright side so do better with amplification and source that is not also bright.

jpelg and CodecCowboy like this.
  13. Ham Sandwich

A lot of the Grado headphones have a shouty midrange. So yes, kind of sound like horn speakers in that respect.

trd likes this.
  14. CodecCowboy

It does but I don’t feel like running a 15 foot cable so I’ll need to get an amp that’s appropriate for whatever set I decide on.

15. @Mayidunk Please continue reading my other posts in this thread to figure out what I am seeking. If you took the time to read on, you would have read I was asking to find out if there is some kind of justifiable reason for playing at 2am...Like maybe he works a shift that has him off and awake at 2am...Or some other viable reason that would shed some light on the overall subject....There can be good, justifiable, reasons for playing music at 2am...Hence the question.

Without knowing, we are left to assume he is simply awake and playing his stereo loud at 2am...in a close quarters living arrangement...which is not the greatest choice by most peoples perspective. I would much rather ask and find out, than assume and be wrong.

I also asked "how often the 2am stereo workout" question to find out if this was a one time deal, maybe only on weekends, or very frequent...again, just trying to paint a better picture of what is happening to better answer his general question and theme of his post.

I worded my questions politely, and asked them within the context of his thread theme...making my question not rude, intrusive, or out of line.
    I also did not go into any sort of "telling him off" area with my first questions. I just asked some clarification questions...in order to better clarify the whole situation.

Because you chimed in, and pushed the subject, I will interject my thoughts about your offended nature style of reply as it relates to this thread.

If you are living in a close quarters situation, and if you have any sort of compassion for those living around you, and if you have any sort of personal responsibility, it is simple common courtesy to not make a lot of noise between the hours of 12 midnight and 5 am. Playing your stereo at 2am to the point the neighbors let you know they are upset by your stereo is not compassionate, does not show personal responsibility, and lacks common courtesy by the vast majority of peoples standards.

This general expectation is almost universal, and so common you can find written verbiage spelling out variations on this theme in many places.
    Hotels, Motels, RV parks, Camp grounds, Dorm rooms, Barracks...pretty much anyplace where people gather and sleep between the hours of 12 midnight and 5am....You will find some kind of "rule" stating...basically...Be quiet between 12 midnight and 5am.

No, I am not in charge of you. No you do not have to listen to what I say, or follow how I act...You are free to choose the path you desire.
    Just understand, if your choices go against the general grain of societal norms you will get push back from those you are bothering with your personal choices.

Think of it like walking the opposite direction down a hallway that everyone, but you, accepts as being a certain direction out of common courtesy and acceptance.
    You can choose to walk against the tide, but don't expect me to give you much sympathy when you get shouldered, yelled at, and begin complaining about being shoved around and opposed in your direction of travel simply because you have a desire to travel in the opposite direction.
    If you give a good reason for such activity (usually found out after asking some "intrusive" questions) many will probably understand and let you be.

16. CodecCowboy

I’d just like to reiterate that I used to be able to play music reasonably loud at night without bothering anybody. I have since stopped doing this once I realized that my new place is less soundproof. Hence the entire point of the thread. I’m not an *******...

benzo likes this.
  17. I am trying to figure out what you find so isolating about the vast majority of headphones.
    Yes, there are specifically designed sound isolating headphones...don't get those.

All others are open enough to allow you to hear the general sounds of the room you are in.

I wear ear protection on a regular basis. NRR30-32 foam ear plugs, NRR28-30 ear muffs...and sometimes both together when the noise is really loud.
    I have compact folding ear muffs, standard bulky ear muffs, special ear muffs with silenced microphones so I can hear but cut out when a certain threshold of sound is reached.

ALL of these are much, much, much greater at keeping noise out than the vast majority of headphones I have ever tried, and they still let in room sounds to some extent.
    The high end headphones you are seeking, like the Sennheiser HD650, or others you have mentioned, do not isolate room sounds to the point of you becoming unaware of the room sounds...like a knock on the front door, or a phone ringing, or a fire alarm, etc...Unless you have the volume up so loud the music is literally drowning out all other sounds.

Go try some of these headphones. You live in San Diego. There are some good high end stores to check out and probably audition some great headphones.

18. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

I have the hd800, definitely open so you hear around you. they need mods imo to make them shine (that 6 khz peak is brutal) hence the hd650 recommendations. but once you dial in right a hd800 its hard to go back to hd650 (which I also own)

19. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I'll second the Sennheiser HD650. Mine sounded great. I'm also a fan of Grado cans.

I recently bought a pair of Etymotic ER4 XR in-ear monitors and they are amazing... but they're definitely not for everyone because you insert them like earplugs.

20. CodecCowboy

Some folks like icing, some folks like cake.

21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Maybe some models, or their older cans prior to the "e" series. I have the wireless GW100 and the GH4 and they both sound great to me; balanced sound with beautiful midrange. Especially the GH4 which sounds majestic.

CodecCowboy likes this.
  22. This is a non-answer answer....By the way, I like cake.

23. Sky Dawg

Sky Dawg Forum Resident

I rock a pair of Grado SR225 with the Grado RA1 amp. Good isolation and excellent sound.
    The caveat is that I can only rock them for 30-45 minutes prior to fatigue setting in.
    Oh, and Merry X-Mas to all.

24. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I’d try In Ear Monitors. Great many options these days at great prices and performance.

25. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

He asked about headphones, not about how to live his life like yours. Bet you're fun at a party..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.