I hated John Wick 3 so does that mean I'm out of luck for action movies now?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MRamble, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Agreed.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indubitably!

rebellovw likes this.
  3. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

The Dredd movie is a great actioner too, imo

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yeah, it’s Dreddful, too.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Masterpieces? The Raid was good, The Raid 2 was too long, but the final fighting scene was awesome, Hammergirl.... see YT.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Yep. Absolute masterpieces.

7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I actually thought Triple Frontier on Netflix with Ben Affleck was solid. I’ll take a solid free action flick on Netflix over most big budget action like John Wick.

alexpop likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I watched the first John Wick movie the other day and was appalled by how stupid it was. I don't have a problem with gratuitous, over-the-top violence and outrageous stunts, but it's gotta have a story and real characters behind it. This didn't. It was as stupid as the Fast & Furious movies, which I also can't stand (but I acknowledge they're enormous commercial hits and do have amazing stunts and VFX in them).

bru87tr, SandAndGlass and apesfan like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I loved the fight scenes. It's such a wonderful antidote to the awful fight scenes in so many other movies that are just made in the editing room. These were full body height, long takes, rather than shaky-cam and super fast edits. Keanu trained for months to make this happen.

Is it brilliant? Obviously not. But it's a good popcorn movie.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  10. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Just watch Mad Max Fury Road again, it's the best action movie of all time -- and it's recent!

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I agree, Mad Max Fury Road is a great film. But it's not one or the other. John Wick 3 is an enjoyable, deeply stupid action movie that exists in the same universe as Kill Bill, where first class seats on airplanes have a little holder for your Hatari Hanzo sword, and every third person in New York City is a hired assassin.

Bluesman Mark and rebellovw like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I had the dubious honor of missing the first and the second. But this is the opinion that I had of the third.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's enough for me. I ain't gonna see more. I did think it was well-shot and well-edited, and the color and sound mix were great, so there is that. But for story and character... uh-uh, not happening for me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Hollywood always seems to go to the well one time too many. They did the same thing with Taken. Just do the one movie and be done with it.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But the guy had "a very specific set of skills!"

eddiel and dmiller458 like this.
  16. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

It seemed to my wife and I that it was one very long fight scene.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

At the idea of watching Mad Max Fury Road ever again:

[​IMG]

I saw the first two at the drive in & the theater respectively & loved them, (& I still do), but I abhorred Beyond Thunderdome with a passion. I had high hopes for Fury Road, given it's critical ratings & reviews & word of mouth. Because of the high ratings for it & the fact it "starred" Tom Hardy, (whom my wife has a thing for), she even agreed to go see it, & she hates the entire concept of Mad Max.

Well, Max is practically an incidental character in what's ostensibly supposed to be his own film, & totally unnecessary to the plot, thus the quotes above. Due to the "return" of the V8 Interceptor, (destroyed in MM2, The Road Warrior), the film simply throws all previous logic in the series out the window & cannot be canonical in the series in any way, shape, form or fashion; the Interceptor in the first two movies was "the last of the V8s", so are we in a parallel universe, with a different Mad Max?

The entire premise is ludicrous, with none of the cunning, creativity, or ingenuity of the first two, (hell, I'll even add Beyond Blunderdome, errr Thunderdome to being better than Fury Road in that dept); in the prior films, the cobbled together vehicles & the way people banded together to survive, (in MM2), showed all of the above to keep going & to survive, in Fury Road, everything is so much bigger, overdone & over the top that you lose all sense of scale & humanity, after all: "We're making an 'epic' here boys!!"

And finally the"plot", (so to speak), is one long, tedious slog across the desert, (did all the roads in the prior MM films just disappear?), with no visual cues to focus on, & punctuated by random acts of mindless & eventually meaningless violence, until they realize they have to turn around & go back!?! Before they even got to that point I was sitting there with my chin in my hand, utterly bored by the lack of a logical plot, (in context), the endless desert scenes, & the fact that the movie had no real rhyme or reason to exist other than to throw out different actions scenes at the audience. They had me so bored by the lack of a plot & the paper thin characters that I honestly had no emotional investment in them, & just didn't care what happened to them. If every single character had been killed off at least an hour earlier, even by the most absurd deus ex machina possible inserted into the "plot", the film would have been better. Because it would have been over at least an hour sooner.

Worst Mad Max movie ever, and easily one of the Top Ten worst movies I've ever sat through. So bad it makes Beyond Blunder, errr, Thunderdome look like Citizen Kane or The Godfather in comparison, & BT was a terrible movie at best. Needless to say, I'll not be wasting my time with any sequels, if they manage to crap anymore out. It's been four years since we saw it, & my wife still tells me I owe her for it! :laugh:

Yeah, I'll take the John Wick movies every single day of the week & twice on Sunday over Fury Road.

formu_la, Trace and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I liked Deepwater Horizon. I worked in the oil and gas industry years ago as a drilling mud engineer and the scenes on the drilling rig were done well.

bru87tr and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I really liked JW3 - it was basically the payoff for JW2 and taken as a whole it makes for a pretty epic adventure. I just wonder how many they can keep making. Even with Stuntmen and movie magic, it looks like Keanu takes a pretty good beating in these things. Ideally they should just make one more to wrap things up and make it a real humdinger. Then if they want to keep making them, try telling other stories centered around the Continental. Seems like pretty ripe pickin's to me.

BeatleJWOL and Bluesman Mark like this.
  20. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Yes - add the Batman fight scene from BvS that used this same JW3 recipe.

If I see another shaky-cam, fast edit, confuse-a-vision fight scene ever again it'll be too soon.

21. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

First was great.

Hated the second.

Yet to watch the 3rd, not expecting much.

22. No you just hate John Wick 3. If they make. 4 I’m out but I enjoyed the first with diminishing returns.

23. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I agree with you 100% on this. I watched Mad Max Fury Road with my Brother & his wife and my Nephew & his wife. When it was over, my brother, his wife and I all agreed it was one of the worst movies we'd ever seen. My nephew & his wife, on the other hand, thought it was awesome. Maybe it's a generational thing, but if someone asked me what the worst movie I'd seen in the past decade was, this would be it.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  24. All valid criticsms, but I would not agree it is a terrible movie, deeply flawed? Yes, but not a total loss. My reasoning:
    1) The acting was good from all major players
    2) Visually stunning for the most part
    3) The action scenes delivered the goods

Spot on about the dumb plot and Max having no real place in the story -a shame as it could have been so much better.

25. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Wow - I liked MM-FR. Supposedly the story was the director's metaphor for getting a film made in Hollywood. Enjoyable and rewatchable IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.