I have a question about distortion and a Marantz 2230.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cleandan, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleandan

cleandan Senior Member Thread Starter

I picked up a nice Marantz 2230 for my shop stereo. I am using some efficient (91db) bookshelf speakers and the only other equipment used is a CD player. I am curious about how much volume I can get from this 30 watt amp...How loud should this go before distortion starts? I know that 30wpc is a bit small, but I think I should be able to get more db (volume) out of this thing before noticable distortion starts. Everything works fine, although some of the switches could use cleaning, the speakers are in perfect shape and are made to handle more than twice the output power this amp can provide, and all connections are solid and true. Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I can't exactly answer your question, but these are very nice amps. I use one for my pre-amp going to computer to capture from Turntable, and playback from hard drive.

So for that purpose, the power is perfect, and sound is very clean. These are rugged war horses. I passed on picking up a second one cheap, and now kick myself, as I need to do surround sound mixes for film projects (on computer), and figured a new 6 channel amp would be easier to deal with in the long run. Now I think stacking up three of these would have been better for the money and flexibility (inputs, outputs, level controls).

Anyway, as loud as what sounds good to you should work. Enjoy! (or send it to me and I can use it).

3. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Assuming you are not using extremely low-powered speakers, the 30 watt Marantz should provide you with substantial clean power and volume. Remember two things, these Marantz amps were conservatively rated for continuous power. Second, 30 watts is not half the power of 60 watts--it is only marginally less--and others know the technical explanation for this. I think you should be able to turn the volume up to at least 12:00 before hearing audible distortion-- or something is wrong with the amp or the speakers.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

91 db speakers? Are they 4 or 8 ohm speakers? That makes a difference.

I'm running a pair of 89 db speakers with 6.2 watts and they work ok...Can't turn them up TOO loud though..

5. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

The Marantz was designed to drive very inefficient speakers, such as Acoustic Research speakers. You should have no problem with volume, using very efficient speakers like yours!!

6. cleandan

The speakers are rated at 8 ohm. I should have added that in the beginning

7. cleandan

The speakers are rated at 8 ohm.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You're fine. Enjoy your system.

9. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I love the 1970s Marantz amps & receivers, and use the 4400 for everything but 5.1 listening. Low distortion at high levels, but I never go past half. Yours is a good model.

10. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I had a Marantz 2285(???) I think. It was one of the high power units- love that radio tuning. Anyway- it was not a pretty sight or sound when I hooked em up to my Allison 7's(4 OHM), and hit the volume!!! :sigh: :o

Chris

11. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I've been using a Marantz 2230 as the centerpiece of my main system for more than three years, along with Axiom M3Ti bookshelf speakers (93db efficiency, 8 ohms), and I've never had any issues with distortion when cranking up the volume. I usually listen with the volume knob at around 11:00 or 12:00, maybe a little higher for some low-cut LPs ... but I never have to push it past 1:00, and everything sounds fine even at that level.

I love the look and sound of my 2230. Long may it run ...

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

they are beautiful when all of the lights are still working! My old 2220B now resides in my buddy's "garage mahal". I think it is hooked up to an old pair of JBLs. That old receiver had a nice sized transformer and excellent heat sinks for a moderate priced unit. There are a few Marantz web sites around, try a google for some cool pictures and specs.

13. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I've had to replace a few bulbs to keep that blue display shining. It's not the easiest thing to do, but for me it's worth the effort ... that blue-light look really adds to the appeal of the receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.