I have a Thorens TD 160. Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It looks like a Jelco armboard can be had for $60, where as the arm itself (available in a few colors) can be had for about $475.

I know some would prefer SME here, but I think for this situation I'd prefer fresh bearings and not paying four figures for SME. The Jelcos gets spectacular feedback as well.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  2. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I know Jelco is highly regarded but I have no experience.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Jelco makes excellent tonearms of high build quality, and very high precision and reliability.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  4. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

You could be upgrading all your life. Keep it and try a different cart. I have the TD 145 and I don't think I'll ever need another table. That and with the ST-7 around I'm pretty much done.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  5. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

What is a Super Thorens?

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you want better sound of course upgrade. However you will need to be looking at Michell Gyrodec, Spacedeck or VPI Classic level at least. I don't think anything below Rega RP6 is likely to be a major improvement. The 160S was an upgraded version with added damping to top plate. better bearing. foam removed from springs. wood arm board. more substantial plinth and thicker mat. A Gyrodec would be a definite upgrade over the standard Super version but you could add a better arm and/or a Project Speedbox and see where this takes you.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  7. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

They're pretty rare, it's a Thorens wearing underpants and a cape. ( :hide:Maybe ...)

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

A new / rebuilt motor and replace the capacitors in the motor control circuit.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  9. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

A TD160 Super is the model I own. Google and you will see what its all about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.