I have two vintage Sansui receivers that I am looking to use as a pre and power amp.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oberon313, Jan 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oberon313

Oberon313 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

FYI got everything set up last night and everything works great.

LitHum05, Lowrider75 and Ingenieur like this.
  2. Oberon313

I’m struggling to keep up with the technical lingo here.

what is the risk of running direct coupled? Like what is the worst case scenario ?

3. harby

harby Forum Resident

The worst case is you get DC voltage output from the pre or components going into it, and then if your amp also has no DC filtering, your speakers are constantly receiving DC voltage and heating up.

LitHum05 and Lowrider75 like this.
  4. Oberon313

So in case anyone is still watching this thread......as mentioned everything is hooked up and working fine.

However, to my ears the system does not sound as good combined as the G-8000 alone or the AU717 does alone. To me everything sounds a little more "thin" and less alive. It does not sound bad.....just not as good.

This seems counterintuitive as I'm using the receiver with more power as the power amp and the receiver with a "better" pre-amp as the pre-amp.

I regret nothing as I learned more about my equipment and this gives me more tools to work with.

I'm going to go back to running them alone and see if I still have the same opinion.

Any science behind why this would be the case????

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Wally Swift likes this.
  5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Synergy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.