I heard Yamaha A-S2100 WOW

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Murphy13, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm really thinking of getting one to go with my ZU Omen Defs.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...2100-stereo-integrated-amplifier-black/1.html

I'm currently running Peachtree Nova pre and B&K amp (st140). The Yamaha I heard was driving a pair of Zu Omens and the thing really had deep, quiet soundstage. Not bright like I would have thought for a Yamaha. In fact the mids were very warm sounding and the highs had a silky flavor.

Anyone have one of the higher end Yamaha integrateds? SR2100 or SR3000?

displayname likes this.
  2. Murphy13

displayname likes this.
  3. james

james Summon The Queen

i had the A-S2000 for a while and thought it was a great amp. definitely not bright in any way

displayname likes this.
  4. Murphy13

To be honest, the only time I ever heard a Yamaha audio component (outside of my amplified Studio monitors which are very revealing and neutral) was years ago with an A/V receiver and a pair of Klipsch speakers. I thought that combination was overly bright. However, the speakers may have been a bigger role than the amp. plus, I don't know what the receiver settings were. I only heard a couple of minutes.

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Zu without tubes? I think that might be against the law in some states.

6. Murphy13

LOL That's why I purchased the Omen Defs. Sean, at ZU, said they are great with pretty much anything thrown at them (especially SS) where as the Souls and Soul Superflys are better with tube gear. The SR2100 had a tube like quality. The sound really stood out and Generally, outside of a controlled, HI Fi shop setting, I do not take notice. This system was in a normal hardwood/area rug room.

7. Murphy13

Title correction S2100 (not sr2100)

8. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

i have seen the 2001 series in a local mega store and esp.the CD Player looks temptimg.much better than the former 1000/2000 series. I used a YAMAHA Receiver with 70 watts per channel for a decade and was happy with it. Later I had an AS 700 and though it got a lot of pwoer and functions it never really made me fall in love with it. a certain brittle or harshness in the upper highs was the ost annoying part. But other aspects were great. Sound Stage, size of musicians in the panorama, the mighty slam of the amp for the price only NAD could better the AS 700. I am sure the 1100 and esp the 2100 or the mighty As 3000 will blow me away. If you like the old schol looks go ahead and get it !

9. Murphy13

The 2100 amp I heard just sounded "right" with those ZU speakers. My B&K amp sounds fantastic, however, its starting to get a little "smeary" sounding. Probably needing some internal component updates/service. The amp is probably close to 20 years old

10. Murphy13

I'd be curious to see what sound differences between the s2000, s2100 and s3000

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Does it sound anything like a 70s japanese amplifier ?

12. Murphy13

To be honest, the last time I ever really listened to a true Japanese made amp was back when I was too young to pay attention to anything except "if it was loud". I really cannot compare it to anything except that the system just really sounded "right". Of course what made me take notice is that the owner had ZU speakers like me.

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. Murphy13

There's a couple of Yamaha Owners impressed with the amp. I think I may give the a s2100 (possiblu a discounted a s3000) a try in January.

14. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I haven't heard the new Yamaha amps but I have owned a A700 Natural Sound integrated amp for approx. 35 years since I purchased it new. So far it is doing fine and still sounds great. I am hoping their build quality is still high on the new components. I am highly interested in their 2100 or 3000 units.

15. james

james Summon The Queen

whether you like the sound or not, i can't say, but the build quality is fantastic.

16. Murphy13

I also do musical studio work and have or have used various Yamaha items and instruments. I have to say the build quality of everything I have used has been fantastic.

17. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I also have an A-S 700 used with Wharfedale Xarus 5000 speakers. They tend to be a bit bass heavy and the 700 is said to have a "relaxed" Yamaha natural sound. I like my Technics SU-A900 MK2 better. Clearer and more open sounding to me. Maybe the 700 just doesn't suit the Wharfedales.

18. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I paired the AS 700with KEF iQ7se stand mounts and these speakers tend to sound a bit harsh in the upper highs plus the bass is very slim but accented. The bass was okay, imaging and scale outstanding. At higher levels it was fun but mot really relaxed and sweet sounding. The bigger Yamaha amps sound much better- Points for the 700 41, the new AS 2100 gets 57 (absolute top in Stereoplay's group test. other mags are full of praise for the new concept as well. MM/MC Phono board, great headphone amp. Top notch equalization with bass highs and balance as an option. The inside is hot isolated from the chassis. The inside parts and outputs for speakers are top notch. Like the outlets for a welding set. Massive Trafo, good Transistors etc. pp.
    Serious machine putting out 110/180 watts of steady power - Good deal and higher ranking as for example the Marantz PM 11 !http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ivioIz8GHZ9/p_022AS2100B/Yamaha-A-S2100-Black.html#&gid=1&pid=4

levimax likes this.
  19. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I, myself , have been doing some research on the Yamaha AS2100 but I've never purchased a receiver for over $500 before. I'm wondering if there is that much of a difference between the AS2000 ($1999) and the AS2100 ($3499) besides the price. Also, the AS2100 does not come with a built in DAC from what I understand. Do I need to purchase a separate DAC or will the one in my other components compensate?

I currently have a Marantz Universal player (Marantz UD-5007) and B&W DM220i speakers which will probably get upgraded as well somewhere down the line, although I have no complaints about them at this time.
    I have been looking at these speakers:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PG6aDYfDBO1/p_760IMNX2T/PSB-Imagine-X2T.html

Can anyone say if the additional $1500 makes the purchase of a Yamaha AS2100 that much better than the Yamaha AS2000? I'm hesitant to drop $3500 on one component but you only live once!

I have been out of the loop for sometime now in regards to audio equipment so I'm looking to upgrade and I want to do it right. I'm learning as I go so there may be instances where I don't know what I'm talking about, which is why I've come here to seek knowledge from those who have more than I.

paolo likes this.
  20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

21. james

james Summon The Queen

I can't say for certain, but I think the A-S2100 "fixed" the A-S2000's low maximum input voltage on the balanced inputs. Something to think about if you want to run a balanced source.

Also, don't pay 2k for a A-S2000. You should be able to get a new one for under 15000 if they are still out there

22. Lashing

Lashing Well-Known Member

I had the AS2000 for a year or more and loved every second of it. Sold and upgraded to the AS2100 which I've had 3 months or so. Love it too.

The AS2000 is a no brainer. No way you will find better amp for the money. I actually regret selling mine. The 2100 is a little different. Better? Not sure. A little bit. The 2100 does fix problems such as balanced input voltage. There is a 6db antenuator on the 2100 and a phase reverse. The Phono stage is better on the 2100. Remote is much better.

Weird thing about the 2100 is I get a slight on puff in the left speaker when powering up. The 2000 was dead silent. There is also some signal bleed into the phono stage. For distance if I play into the tuner input and switch to phono, I can hear a slight bit of bleed cranking the volume up. Just like vintage gear. The 2000 was dead silent again with no bleed whatsoever.

This yamaha line is fantastic sound per dollar. I had all kinds of more expensive stuff running head to head like Sim. Cary. The Yamaha is so good for the money.

4xoddic and Exile On My Street like this.
  23. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

The Marantz is phenomenal in regards to the universal player.

24. Murphy13

I use to read that Yamahas are overly bright. However, the s2100 I heard was actually on the warm side of neutral. I heard an s3000 recently as well, but with B&W speakers. Great combination. Maybe just a little more forward sounding than the other system I heard. however, that could have been the speakers, room, etc

25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I am taking the plunge-I have a 3000 integrated on order. I am partial to the brand-I have a vintage A-700 purchased new back in the day and a desk top system from the original Pianocraft series I use in my office. I have not auditioned one so I am taking a chance but I am not worried.

ssstand, scobb, sfoclt and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.