I just bought a Pioneer PLX-1000, now what?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Slayne, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer Thread Starter

Hi guys I've just made my first step to start listening to records again and bought the Pioneer PLX-1000!

What do you suggest I add to it? I would need to add a cartridge. (price range maybe $200-400) Also some kind of dust cover lid! any recommendations? Anything else? Would adding a mat (like discussed in that other thread) be a good idea? Maybe something like the Hudson Hifi Silicon mat.

Thanks!

2. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

Sorry, really not trying to be snarky, but add records!

3. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

I thought the PLX came with a dust lid, though to answer your question partially, I'd:

- buy a 2nd (or more) headshell so it's easy to have a 2nd cartridge. I chose an Audio-Technica 540ML/H which comes with a headshell. (VM540ML without) It's not set up in a critical listening space yet, though reviews are quite positive.

- get the tonearm bearing checked out - if it's loose (common), it needs tightening for best results.

bru87tr and bluesaddict like this.
  4. Slayne

that was the first thing i did, ive been buying about 20 in the last week ;)

forthlin and wolfyboy3 like this.
  5. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Does your amplifier have a phono section..assuming it does. I bet a lot of people will recommend the AT 540ml cart shortly. How did it come without a dust cover? Have fun!

6. Slayne

you know it may well come with a dust cover, i just ordered it yesterday and it wasnt in the pictures, ill find out

7. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah it will if you ordered it new. See in the box section. Pioneer DJ PLX-1000 Professional Turntable
    Price has dropped on these since the Technics 1200 mk7 came out!

8. Slayne

ive decided to cancel my order on this one and look to spend a little more money on something that im more likely to stick with for years and years to come. thanks for the feedback though =)
    but im moving more towards an end-game thinking as im not all that interested in upgrading.

The Dragon and bru87tr like this.
  9. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Whats with peoples obsession with mats?

Too many options to be helpful really, do you have any goals in mind with your vinyl playback?

Welcome to the forum.

10. Leonthepro

I assume you have no reference for how good the PLX is, are you hoping for better sound or something? Were there features you wanted that are missing?

johnny q likes this.
  11. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Get a cart for your TT, install it per the instructions that come with your table (very carefully), and play some records. After that, get back with us.

12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

If the PLX-1000 is like the Audio Tech TTs (based on the Hanpin Super DJ tables), a thicker mat or stack of mats is needed to get the arm height right for VTA. I've even read the new 1200's have the same issue with some carts and headshells. And if the 1000 comes with one of those felt mats, it needs to be tossed unless a DJ is using it IMO..too much static and a ringing aluminum platter.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  13. Leonthepro

Then you should worry about that after you get the table, you can just stack some busted records under the mat. Also, the "ringing" which everyone keeps talking about since Ians HIVINyews video about it has never been shown to be audible, and the platter is damped more than enough anyway, a rubber mat wont do any more help Im pretty sure.

14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Believe me, lots of stuff is audible on these Hanpin tables. I added a cork mat topped by a Technics rubber on the LP120 and the rumble/motor noise is gone. And the VTA is right on now too. Essential. Besides, those Hudson mats the OP mentioned are pretty cheap around $16 and can be stacked nicely too. I do think dropping close to $100 + on the Herbies or Achromat is overkill on a cheap table.

15. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

He cancelled the order for the PLX-1000, which is a wise move IMHO. I am curious as to which models are under consideration as an "end game" turntable...

16. Slayne

for my humble use im leaning towards one of the technics.

17. Leonthepro

Again, what are your goals for vinyl playback? What do the Technics have that the PLX 1000 doesnt?

18. Slayne

japan and malaysia have a special place in my heart, i used to have penpals in both countries. sadly never china.

19. Leonthepro

Alrighty then.

rtrt likes this.
  20. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

Slayne - Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Recommend that you add information about your system (amp, preamp, speakers, etc.) to your profile so your direction is better understood and people can provide better suggestions. Or just add system information in the original post.
    :wave:

21. Slayne

dont have any. im starting with the TT and take it from there :)
    speakers probably next...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.