I just ordered my first turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 312elements, Aug 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Hmmm? I’m in Austin. Waterloo Records has Analog Productions titles, possibly some of the other labels mentioned as well.

312elements likes this.
  2. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Something occurred to me that you may already know or be just discovering: Record stores and online record store sites often have their own distinct "personalities". Their "personality" often reflects the personality and tastes of their owners. You should keep looking for record stores that are good fits for you. Learn what the various stores specialize in, so you know where to go when you are looking for a particular record or genre of music. Learn how many copies they typical get: many, one or none. Also learn who has fair prices and reasonable prices plus what their return policies are. You will also get a feel for the condition of the used records they sell

After about a year back into buying records in early 2019, I had visited all of the local record stores within abut a 90 minute drive of here. The worthwhile ones based on many tips I got here on the SHF and Mr. Google. I have a favorite record store and I have actually become friends with the owner both inside and outside the store. This was an unexpected and added bonus. I have had some serious health problems over the last 7 years, and this owner has kept me in records throughout the last 4 years I have known him. Even when I can't visit the store in person. The owner is very knowledgeable and he knows his customer's tastes and can make excellent recommendations. His record store reflects his tastes in music and his typical customer's tastes. Even before becoming friends with this owner, I bought whatever I could from this store even though brick and mortar stores sometimes have higher prices than online stores. You have the instant gratification factor at a local store, the downside is they have to pay rent and their operation costs are often higher. A knowledgeable local record store owner's recommendations allow you to discover new music, based on your tastes. Therefor a local record store owner's time is worth money to me, they aren't a charity. Browsing in person is often more rewarding: you can see and look at the physical product, you see all the album ART in person and you often meet other people and you have a shared interest.

Long way of saying I value learning the "personalities" and quirks of both local and online record stores. In my case now that I am back out and about more, I know just where to go to get what I am looking for. I am loyal to my local store owner who I consider a friend. I will buy any new records I know he will carry from him. I know where to go to buy new LPs that his store doesn't carry. If I see an album I know I can get from him I wait to buy it from him. In fact I will often text him to see if he is getting some new LP I've spotted in another store. He often sends me a text when he is looking at used LPs at record fairs to see if I want an LP he knows is a genre or artist I like.

For used records I know which stores will most likely have the LPs I am interested in. I also have learned how well they inspect the used records they put out for sale. I have found stores that ultrasonically clean every used record and put them in inner and outer sleeves and often grade them. I do take these grades with a grain of salt-trust but verify. Other stores put every single record the get in for trade back out for sale, and buyer beware. The biggest record store I've found locally does not curate their records at all-everything is out for sale. You must waste a lot of time searching through a bunch of LPs looking for something you would even dare to put on your turntable. While some people like this kind of crate digging and more power to them, it is not my thing. However if I bought an LP in good condition with a jacket in bad condition, I'd know just where to go to find an LP in bad condition with a cover that is possibly in better condition This is why you explore and learn the "personalities"

My friend's record store doesn't carry a lot of audiophile pressings, and most local stores do not carry them either. For these I go online and I have explored the various websites to learn what online store carries what, in what quantities and at what price. I have also learned who packages their LPs for shipping with bulletproof packaging. I am willing to pay more for that. Returns are a total PITA. Having said that, I do learn what each store's return policy is. I also make note of just how easy it is to do a return and how long it typically takes. These days I rarely if ever buy at Amazon. I have received records in containers that are barely stronger than a manilla envelope. I am not joking, I am serious. The only time I will buy from Amazon is if they are the ONLY place that has a must have LP. By knowing the "personalities" of the online stores, when hear about a record in limited quantities I know which sites will most likely have some copies to sell if I act fast.

Now YMMV in terms of if you like to shop locally or online or a combination of the two. But it pays to learn the "personalties" of all the potential places you can buy records. Don't stop looking around when you find a few places. You may find you have more options than you know. Plus I always love exploring new record stores and these days online stores. That is part of the fun of this hobby. Enjoy the hunt!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Congrats on the turntable, I had not seen that SOTA model before it has a unique look that I like over their other cigar box shaped designs.
    The guys at Holm are great, been there many times over the years, their rooms always sound good which is why I use Nordost cables and sound anchor stands.
    If you are ever in Wheaton check out Mile Long records, Mike is great and will order anything that he does not have in stock.

312elements likes this.
  4. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Mike is the best

5. 312elements

312elements Forum Resident Thread Starter

i agree! Love the staff there. One of my pet peeves is when I’m shopping for an expensive product and I know more about it then the person selling it to me. That never happens at Home Audio. Those guys all go home and listen to music on nice systems and are actual enthusiasts themselves.

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

22 posts before a threadcrap is impressive, but it still shows that threacraps in vinyl discussions are inevitable. Can't allow those vinyl weirdos to think they're enjoying something, nosireebob.

7. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Yes. I buy the same. Vg+ is a minimum. NM is preferred.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:laugh:

Lenny99 likes this.
  9. scottys

scottys Here I am, you pod bastards!

Congrats - you are in Chicago so you should have no problem finding used record stores - just come home with a box full - that is what I used to do when I lived near Berkeley. Take chances find some gems and find some hams. I've found tons of perfect .99 albums (especially after a good cleaning on the ol' RCM)

Best of luck!

312elements likes this.
  10. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Right. Many an original pressing can be of audiophile quality. Especially being the original mixes and masters.

Boltman92124 and 312elements like this.
  11. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

And better than the reissues too! Just say no to CD stamped on vinyl! 180 gram is for the birds IMO. Too much static and no sonic advantage.

312elements likes this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'd rather chew on foil than watch that guy again. :)

13. zenith2134

zenith2134 Well-Known Member

Looks like a really nice SOTA. They've always been a good bet. I remember hearing the Sapphire model in a friend's system and really liking it.

As for acrylic platters, they're a quite a nice feature to have. For years I ran a Music Hall with acrylic platter and no mat. Sounded nice.

312elements likes this.
  14. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I'd rather just play a record...
    Whether on purpose or not he implies that his disdain is not so much for the LP format, but for those who have or still embrace it. Those who clearly outnumber this blowhard. He also implies that quantity triumphs quality. It might work for him, but who truly cares???

15. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Welcome to the magical world of vinyl, your life will be immeasurably better.

Lenny99, 312elements and ssmith3046 like this.
  16. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I would second that thought, but perhaps change it to...when I am shopping for ANY product...

With a new salesperson or store my thing is to go in and act like I am a total newbie, and don't let on that I know about a product. Then I see how the salesperson treats me and if they are either intentionally or out of ignorance, feeding me a line of BS. You can very quickly find out a lot by playing dumb.

312elements likes this.
  17. Lenny99

Great. I agree

312elements likes this.
  18. 312elements

312elements Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Turntable arrived safely yesterday from Hifiheaven via Speed-Dee delivery service.[​IMG] There aren't a lot of pictures of these online so I thought I'd put an unboxing gallery together. More images can be seen at the link below. Still dialing things in. I managed to snap the side bias weight, so I've got to figure that out still, but initial impression is very positive. I started with a couple of modern albums and they sounded almost indistinguishable from their digital counterparts in my system. Today I'm exploring some older recordings which I'm enjoying more than their digital versions. I still have a lot to learn and tweak, but enjoying the journey.

[​IMG]https://312elements.pixieset.com/recordplayer/

Oddiofyl, vinylvin and Lenny99 like this.
  19. Lenny99

Nice TT and nice pics. Thanks.

312elements likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.