I like the music, but not the musician

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnt23, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just spun REM's "Automatic for the People", an album which I love. I remember watching Michael Stipe at award shows during this period, and thought he was very pretentious. It never spoiled my enjoyment of the music, however. So, two questions I suppose: 1. Do you feel this way about an artist/band? 2. Are you not to enjoy an artist's music if you dislike their personality?

ThePostElectroGranger likes this.
  2. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

!. Ted Nugent
    2. I shouldn't let it bother me, but it does.

3. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

Van Morrison. Fortunately, I fell in love with his music before I learned how much of a curmudgeon he is. I can still enjoy his music.

4. chodad

chodad Hodad

Ted Nugent immediately comes to mind.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  5. Well he's one I hate both.

vonwegen, Dino, ConnieGuitar and 7 others like this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Tons of musicians come to mind that I don't particularly like their public personae, but love their music.

Miche and stevepafford like this.
  7. unclesalty

unclesalty Rzzzzz!

8. Charles Manson
    Bobby Beausoleil
    Phil Spector

bugg100 likes this.
  9. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Jim Morrison

AlienRendel and rockledge like this.
  10. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Can't stand him or his music.

Fullbug and rockclassics like this.
  11. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Ritchie Blackmore. Absolutely brilliant guitarist. I never get sick of listening to his solos.

But a first class D-bag.

Honorable mention to Nugent, though I have heard from others that he's a decent guy when cameras or microphones aren't around.

12. strifeknot

strifeknot Senior Member

My favorite rock band is The Fall, but acknowledge that Mark E. Smith is a selfish, narcissistic creep.

broccolid, RomanZ, supernaut and 2 others like this.
  13. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Burzum (Varg Vikernes)

14. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

U2/Bono.... He's a Lennon wannabe

15. johnt23

For me, it was the overexposure mixed with the rock-star posing and "artiste" posing that spoiled them for me. Now that the wind has died down, I can sit back and enjoy their music on its own merits.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. HumanMachinery

HumanMachinery Forum Resident

Several highly-talented and revolting cocks have already been mentioned in this thread, so I'll put another log on the fire:

Sebastian Bach.

Amazing singer; utter turdblossom.

Coricama, Fullbug, heatherly and 4 others like this.
  17. johnt23

Can you be over-over-exposed? After U2's Zooropa, I was at a point where I could only enjoy "Boy". The final nails in the coffin for me in re: Bono was a Louis Vuitton ad and a gag-inducing interview conducted in Bono's sportscar.

Fullbug likes this.
  18. Ted Nugent IMMEDIATELY popped into my head. Loudmouthed idiot but that doesn't stop me from cranking up Stranglehold!

Gene Simmons is an a$$ as well.

mooseman, bryduck, Emmett66 and 3 others like this.
  19. Spaghettiows

That has to be the winning nomination.

vonwegen, Remurmur, Miche and 2 others like this.
  20. johnt23

Burzum. Lemme guess, was it that whole killing-of-bandmember incident?

and Gene Simmons! Man, I can't stomach the idea of buying his "merchandise". I get an image of him laughing a banker's laugh in some mansion somewhere. Not very rock 'n roll.

Fullbug likes this.
  21. The singing Nun. What was her name? Dominique nic ninc something? I hear she was really hard to get along with. So many demands!

AlienRendel likes this.
  22. Spaghettiows

True, and Simmons isn't even that talented as a bass player. He's average at best, and I do enjoy the music of KISS. It's kind of ironic that the weakest musician in the band has the biggest ego.

vonwegen and MiracleAndWonder like this.
  23. HumanMachinery

HumanMachinery Forum Resident

Watch Until the Light Takes Us sometime. The experience will curdle your toenails. The man isn't just a murderer, he's also a social Darwinist, a white supremacist, an anti-modernist, and generally a guy who wants to kill every immigrant and foreigner in Europe, and turn the clock back to the dark ages when the Vikings, the Visigoths, and Ostrogoths ran everything.

Which is ironic, because he's a 90lbs weakling who wouldn't last five seconds in that environment.

Varg has written some amazing riffs and melodies, but I will never spend one single $ on his music so long as he lives.

Summerisle likes this.
  24. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Unless it becomes a requirement to host the artist in your home when listening to their music, who cares. Always thought Roger Waters was a bit of an a$$hole, but it never stopped me from enjoying Pink Floyd (although it did, I must confess, give me momentary enjoyment to conclude that his first two solo efforts were crap). I think he's mellowed with age, as we all have, though.

25. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I might be careful judging a musician too harshly because he or she can be a jerk. They are artists. I've found artists in many fields can be quite disagreeable at times. The people skills of artists are often poor. I don't discount the character of the person because of this. I just say, oh, well, they're an artist.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.