I Love MGMT !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsy, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident Thread Starter

My fave current band, going on for a while now.

this performance at Glastonbury 2014 displays everything i love about them.

As does the full 2010 Glastonbury

Any and all discussion welcome here.
    New album coming! Second this year!

2. MicronAggression

MicronAggression Forum Resident

I only ever bought Congratulations on double vinyl when it first came out.

Despite some rapturous reviews, I thought it was ok; I found a lot of the music derivative, and the 'humour' forced and unfunny - pace Brian Eno.

The pressing was pretty bad, too.

I'm glad that you like them, though, mate.

3. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I really liked Little Dark Age. I doubt that to be such an intriguing album. I like the new single and look forward to the forthcoming album.

4. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I’m a first album only guy. But man that album really hit right when it was released; I think they’re about the same age as me and was speaking our generation’s perspective.

I have to say I did a pretty deep A/B comparison of the first press and the recent one, which I think claimed AAA cut!?

the new cut was indeed better. Seek it out if anyone here is looking for a copy.

TheRealMcCoy, Bulsara and Oatsy like this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Loved their debut to death back in…. 2008? Unfortunately they lost me Witz their second release.

6. Oatsy

Sometimes they sound like The Millennium, sometimes the Bee Gees, sometimes Hawkwind or Pink Floyd. But they always sound like MGMT. Their last live album is a brilliant trip.

7. Nostalgist

Nostalgist The Great Stone Face

"We'll choke on our vomit, and that will be the end...
    We were fated to pretend..."

The anthem of a generation back in 2008. Just like "Mr. Brightside," it's a song that will never age. It was meant to epitomize nostalgia.

Still gets me emotional whenever I hear it. Forget "Kids" (which got overplayed). This was THE ONE.

8. georgepearrison

georgepearrison Long Time Lurker

It’s a bit of a grower, but I really like their new song.

miller_time22 and Oatsy like this.
  9. CD Addict

CD Addict Bonus tracks? Yes, please.

I like their first two albums and this gem of a cover from LateNightTales. A Bauhaus cover done right:

zphage and Oatsy like this.
  10. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

Loved the first album when it came out. Couldn't really get into their music after that but thanks for the tip on the Oracular Spectacular pressings - I will investigate as I should really pick this up on vinyl (I used to have it on CD).

11. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

I loved this slowed down remix of Little Dark Age which I first heard on TikTok…

Oatsy likes this.
  12. Oatsy

I think every album is amazing in its own way. so far consensus is they didn't repeat their debut. but this is the hallmark of a great band. this thread is for the true fans, not the fair weather types who liked the hits from the first record. if you watch the live performance from Glastonbury 2014 you will see a great psychedelic rock group. Any true fans out there who dig all their records? the recent live one is a fantastic trip. the hits are fine but they were like a dozen years ago. MGMT has moved on. I love how they are largely known for committing commercial suicide with their second album. another hallmark of a great and fearless band.

drivingfrog likes this.
  13. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

The second album is a classic in my book and my favourite. I had mixed feelings with the Self Titled and Little Dark Age, both had some great songs but also some filler imo. New song sounds great and I’m always keen to hear whatever they put out.

14. Oatsy

yeah Congratulations is an amazing record. a true psych gem. the ones after take a little getting into, but I love their sound and their willingness to explore. this is what sets them apart from other bands.

georgepearrison and tumbledweeb like this.
  15. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

For my taste, Congratulations was a massive improvement over the first album, which to me sounds clunky in comparison. I enjoy all of their subsequent albums.

georgepearrison and drivingfrog like this.
  16. Oatsy

their production has become quite sophisticated. they have great ears along with great ideas and as well the know-how to make their records (and live shows!) sound terrific. superb taste is what I keep hearing.

B. Bu Po likes this.
  17. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Have you seen them live?

18. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Congratulations was the best thing these guys did. All the great pop hooks from the first album but more consistent and infused with psych

georgepearrison and Oatsy like this.
  19. GungaLagunga

GungaLagunga c̶r̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ lunch time

Caught them in 2018 and thought it was just okay, but that review might have been me more than them that night.

This thread encouraged me to put on their self-titled LP that doesn't get regular rotation. It's a pretty good listen despite not being chock full of big hits, but it's not a total banger for me. Streamed LDA a few times, then forgot about it a bit. Probably hard to carry that strong start. To hell with people's expectations, and only hope they keep on having fun and see where it goes for a bit longer.

20. Oatsy

Check out the video of their Glasto 2014 performance at the top. This is a marvellous psychedelic band.

21. Oatsy

Their recent live one-time art gallery performance album 11.11.11 is a fabulous listen to be heard from beginning to end. What a trip it takes us on!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    GungaLagunga likes this.
  22. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

The first album was really good and Congratulations was even better. I began losing interest with the self-titled record and never got around to listening to anything after. I need to remedy that.

23. Oatsy

Only once on the congratulations tour 2010. The crowd was there for the hits, and they got em, but they also got a lesson in psychedelic rock with a cover of VU’s The New Age for encore. Good vid of that performance here.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    B. Bu Po likes this.
  24. Oatsy

I kinda did the same thing. The two records following congratulations were a bit odd. But I’ve found that intriguing with time.

25. Oatsy

i love that they can sing! Everyone at the mic sometimes. so few bands can sing this well, especially live. MGMT put the effort in to want fantastic vocals!