I Love My FYE

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by japes, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Billy,

It's "F.Y.E.," short for For Your Entertainment

2. davers

davers Forum Resident

I took advantage of the 20% deal to pick up the Rolling Stones 60s vinyl box on my birthday a few weeks ago.

I took an additional bite of the purchase price by also trading a large stack of used cds toward the box. While FYE passes on some items due to overstock, in general they are still reasonably competetive on used cd buys, and even more so when you add the extra boost for trade-ins.

3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Member

I found Central Avenue Sounds box for $22.99. There were a lot of jazz box sets including some Mosaics.

4. Ah, thanks. Haven't been in one in a while. Last time, I did get a nice used OOP Peter Gabriel SACD. The particular location I have gone to has been many, many different record stores over the years--the first I remember was Peaches, and then for over 20 years it was a Streetside Records, and then in a ten year span it rather quickly changed hands to Blockbuster Music, Wherehouse Music, and now FYE.

5. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

Then I'll use my credit online at www.fye.com or www.wherehouse.com, usually with a code to make it a sweeter deal.:cool:

6. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

You can mail in your trade-ins to wherehouse.com. They reimburse the postage. The in store credit you receive is not taxed when you buy something off the site, unlike if you trade in at the store and put your merchandise credit code into wherehouse.com... then you are taxed as usual.

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Here is an example of the type of deal you can get trading in stuff at wherehouse.com ... notice how there is no sales tax except on the amount above the trade-in credit.

Attached Files:

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

picked up this one today at the local FYE ... they currently have a buy one, get one for 50% off sale, which works out fine if both items are priced at $7.99 ... and Blu-ray is not excluded this time.

Attached Files:

9. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Took a drive down to Jackson, TN, as I could usually find some decent used deals there...only to find the FYI shuttered. Guess it closed very quickly a few months ago.

10. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Two of the three FYE remaining stores where I live get very upset and sometimes abusive at the prospect of opening more than one or two items. All of these stores seem in decline, and most of their inventory is very stale. I won't be shedding any tears if the whole chain removes itself from this area.

11. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

Nice find! I found my Pretenders target disc at an FYE. Haven't gotten that lucky again.

12. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

Based on what I was told, the store closed right before the end of May, after getting the news in April.

13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

And pretty soon it will be down to two stores. The remaining Chandler store is having a 30% on all CDs...it closes on August 26. Their inventory hasn't changed in months, or so it seems.

14. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Member

I go back every week or two and it looks like that people around here are trading in the same titles. There are always multiple titles of popular artists. I can't count how many copies of High School Musical there are. As far as selling cds back they are only giving one dollar each for titles they want two discs sets are being bought back at $1.25. An employee that I talk to there said that soon they are going to stop buying cds altogether focusing instead on dvds and games.

15. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

FYE is buying used vinyl now. I think they're screwing themselves on this though. Yea, they might get a good one once in awhile but mostly junk.

20% off sale this week on CD, DVD, Blu-ray. That's for new stuff.

Used DVD and CD 30% off. Used Blu 20% off.

Good time to buy any AF CDs you might want. Instead of $24.95 they're $19.99. I bought two with instore credit from a bunch of junk Blus I brought in.

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Today's FYE score. All for $7.99 each, except for Ya-Yas which was $8.99. Then subtract 30% for the sale. Musiquarium in two separate jewel cases (smooth sided). Made in Japan. Not even a fingerprint on them. Look like they were never touched... at least not improperly. 4 SACDs, 1 dvd-audio.

Attached Files:

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Luv the 1/2 off second item...

18. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I'll have to shoot my friend an e-mail. He has a FYE store close to him across the lake in Mandeville. If they have stuff, I'll take the ride and check it out.

19. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

I did score myself at FYE the other day.. a New York Dolls DVD-A in amazing shape, the Police: Every Breath You Take MCH SACD, and a couple other CDs I'd been seeking. They also had about half of the Talking Heads Brick which has all of their albums mixed in 5.1, in DVD-A format. All used and at very reasonable prices. The Police SACD I picked up for $8 and they are going for $30+ online used. I find myself visiting there much more often now, and what's nice is they put all newly purchased used items in a seperate section from the rest of their mixed new/used stock.

I can't believe I agree, but yes, I really do like FYE.

20. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

LOL, yeah, I don't think that store has had any fresh inventory in at least six months. On the positive side, it was the only FYE that I went to that had the discounted Rhino box sets. On that day, I did love FYE :love:.

We still have three FYEs in the Phoenix area: one in Tempe, another in Mesa, and a fairly forgettable one in Gilbert. The employees at the Tempe store are friendly and helpful, as opposed to what I have experienced at the other two stores.

21. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Does anyone know FYE's return policy for new vinyl? I just bought Radiohead's The Bends, opened it and the first side of the record is a mess. :(

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They refund your money if they don't have another copy on the shelf. I bought Marshal Mathers LP and it was defective but they didn't have another one so they refunded me.

23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

They still have a few SACD and DVD-Audio mixed in there in used items..

24. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

My location in Grand Rapids Michigan has just doubled their Record selection and even moved the stands from the back right up to the front of the store. You walk in and the first thing you see other than apathetic clerks are the records, still quite amazing in this day and age to a 19 year old. On a side note I would never buy any new records from there as the list price is a good 5$ more than my usual place.

25. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I had not been in our local FYE in a few years. They are having a 30% sale on all used CDs and 20% of new CDs. Picked up several items:

The Doors - Live In New York Felt Forum Box Set
    Fleetwood Mac - Live At The Boston Tea Part Part 1 & 2
    New York Dolls - Seven Day Weekend DVD-A
    U2 - 360 DVD (new for $19.99, but had a $12.98 sales price sticker on it that they honored!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.