I Love My FYE

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by japes, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

My local FYE at the mall is also closing. I was able to pick up McCartney II deluxe edition for $39.99 last week-love it!

2. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

Went to the Mall of America FYE yesterday and all the windows were covered up. I figured they were no more, but then i walked up and read the signs that they were remodeling and would be open some time this spring. Hard to believe w/ the slow business in used cd's/dvd's and the # of closings nationwide for them that they are spending money to remodel. More power to em tho. Glad they will still be in business there.

3. ricebear

ricebear Forum Resident

Is there a list link for the latest round of closing stores?? :wave:
    Curious.

4. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see if they actually reopen. Two of the three near me appear to be on their last legs. I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole chain collapse.

5. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

My local FYE is closing, too. They had 20% "the original price" on all CDs but their CDs were overpriced to begin with so no savings compared to Amazon, for example. Maybe the discounts will get bigger as the day of doom approaches ...

--Geoff

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I found a copy of Brian Wilson’s “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times” in the $4.88 bin at Rotterdam Square and picked it up for a cool $2.44.

I needed a new one, my old disc wore out. :D

I think I might take a drive to Queensbury this weekend. They always have a good used selection (although last time I was there a third of the store had become devoted to some sort of strange DVD rental experiment).

7. Daniel Plainview

Found Metallica Black Album DVD-A for $7.99 used. The case looks like it was dragged under a car. It's being held shut with scotch tape. The disc is riddled with marks and scuffs, but seems functional. I don't know why someone would buy a high-end audiophile edition of an album then treat it with such a lack of respect, but I'll give it a good home.

Now I just have to find a replacement super jewel case....

8. LordThanos1969

A few months back I found a DCC of Steve Miller's Fly Like an Eagle at an FYE. It was heavily scratched and still $20+. I left that one behind.

9. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

You may be right. I called the main FYE # the other day to see if they knew when the MOA store re-opening was. The gal I spoke to said she couldn't find the MOA location anymore on her list of stores. :shake: I feel lucky I got what I did from them when I did. (DCC's, mfsl's)

10. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

Current sale at my F.Y.E. today is buy any new or used CD or DVD and get the 2nd one half off. Excludes "sale" items.

11. J.September

J.September Forum Resident

They pretty much sell cat toys, bought a Genesis target of "...and then there were three" for $6.99, they wouldn't let me look at it prior, so i took a chance and it backfired...

12. LordThanos1969

The last few CDs I purchased from the nearby FYE were in mediocre to awful condition. It seems like they will sell things in any condition these days. Buyer beware!

13. Is the name of the store pronounced "fie" or "ef wai ee"?

14. japes

japes Senior Member Thread Starter

Found the following last weekend at the former Planet Music location in Virginia Beach:

1. Rolling Stones - Tattoo You (Black Triangle)
    2. Rolling Stones - Rewind (Made in Japan by Sanyo)
    3. U2 - War (WG Target)
    4. JVC XRCD Jazz Sampler

They also had a number of new Audio Fidelity and MFSL Gold CDs that qualified for the Buy One, Get One Half Off Sale.

15. It's pronounced the second way.

16. Jack Son #9 Dream

You got some good discs. :righton:

Did you go on a Sunday? I'm just curious if the sale is still going. One of the employees a while back told me that sales end on Sunday. So if you went on Sunday chances are good that the Buy One, Get One Half Off Sale is still going. I'd like to stop by FYE this weekend and pick up a few more discs that I saw last weekend. I like this sale because it includes new and used discs. Usually it's just the used discs that qualify.

17. japes

japes Senior Member Thread Starter

I went this past Friday.

Still some good stuff to be had even without the sale.

18. Jack Son #9 Dream

It sounds like a good store if they offer AF discs. I didn't see any of those at my store. I did come across some good music DVDs. They file those in with the music CDs.

I wonder if the sale is still going. I hope so as I've got a pretty big list of things I want to go back for if I can get half of my purchases at 50% off.

19. Jack Son #9 Dream

Went back to my F.Y.E. today.

The sale is now only good on used CDs and DVDs. Buy 1, get the 2nd half off.

20. Daniel Plainview

Is anybody else's FYE selling USED vinyl? I walked into mine today and couldn't believe what I saw. They expanded the vinyl section, gave it an entire isle, put a giant sign above it and....have started selling used vinyl at prices ranging from 99 cent to 4.99. But don't get excited yet....the titles they had were the sort of polka and Hawaiian soundtrack crap you'd expect to find at the Salvation Army for 50 cents. I don't know where they got the vinyl from but they lovingly put each in a plastic sleeve (the sealed kind so you can't get a good look at the record itself without some effort). Maybe the manager of the store cleaned out his basement or something. I really don't see any other explaination. At any rate, I'll keep an eye on it. It would be cool if some rock titles started showing up. Doubt they will.

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yup, the second way. It stands for For Your Entertainment.

22. LordThanos1969

At least two of the FYEs in Phoenix sell vinyl, and both have started to emphasize it increasingly.

23. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Anyone know if there are any promotions going on at the Fair Oaks Mall location? Was thinking of making the trip this weekend.

24. Daniel Plainview

The FYE in my area that sells used vinyl got another load in. Previously the only titles they had were things like The Mills Bros. and anonymous albums of polka and hawaiian music.

This time there were some things of interest. I picked up a mono DJ copy of Lovin Spoonful's "Everything Playing" and, the real find, an original pressing of "Ritchie", the second Ritchie Valens album. Both in pretty nice shape and priced at 99 cents (with a sticker adhered to the cover, grrr. I removed them without any damage, luckily).

Other records in the mix weren't so hot. Many had water damage. A copy of The Monkes "Pisces..." had a cover which had been carefully colored by a 60's teenager (and the results were rather striking, actually). Lots of Savoy Brown, some Ventures, Sly Greatest Hits, Hollywood Strings play Beatles, etc.

Anyway, I'll be keeping a closer watch over the vinyl section of my FYE. It might be another 6 months before they get another load in from the local landfill, but when they do I want to have first dibs.

25. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

So now FYE is doing used vinyl. OK. Cute idea.

Now to find LP's like THESE in the used bins? I truly have seen it all now.

DICK DALE: $4
    THE SKYLINERS: $1
    a *MONO* pressing of ONCE UPON A DREAM by THE RASCALS: $4

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.