I Love My FYE

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by japes, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

FYI: In my local FYE, all used CDs are half-price, including box sets. I assume this is a nationwide sale price. ON a side note, they also upped the amount of new and used vinyl they carry.

2. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Same sale on used here at the moment. I had hoped the used Beatles U.S. Albums box I saw Monday would still be there but it sold.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I stopped in Barnes & Noble Friday night and was appalled by the prices of many CDs. Single discs for $19 and two-disc sets for $30? In 2014? I gave up on the main music racks quickly and went over to the $4.99 and $7.99 racks.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  4. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I feel pretty much the same way about the ones in my area. Even with the half off sale, it was very difficult to find anything interesting used, and what I did find was on the rough side condition wise.

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I didn`t mean to ruin the party for everybody else who still has good luck there.If FYE was my only option here I would do much better shopping internet only.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  6. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

You missed a few Allon. I picked up these gems on the 50% off sale:

Elvis DCC - 24k Hits (slipcase has some shelf wear, but minty CD & lift-lock) $36
    Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil WG Target (black text, some hairlines, VG overall) $5
    Rush - Signals WG Atomic (ok this one ended up being in play copy condition) $3.50
    Gavin Harrison & 05Ric - The Man Who Sold Himself (signed by both & mint) $5
    HSAS - Through The Fire WG Target (Didn't realize this was a target until I got home, artwork may be from a different release, borderline VG) $5
    Ray Charles DCC - Greatest County & Western Hits, and also DCC with Betty Carter (both minty) $4 ea.

I saw a few other targets (Eagles, Ronstadt, Foreigner) that I passed on because I either have them or I'm not 100% certain they are targets (especially the Eagles), but I agree that the local FYE's are generally lackluster in offerings. I still ended up dropping $160 in both Mesa stores this weekend, and there's a few I'm thinking about going back for if the sale is still on tomorrow.

Tjazz likes this.
  7. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

HSAS - Through The Fire

Nice find, and underrated album..

8. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Nice job, Todd. You must have been there earlier in the day ;). I picked up two CDs at the Mesa store: a Doors L.A. Woman Target in what I would describe as VG at best condition and a Rolling Stones Aftermath SACD in somewhat better shape, but, of course, they had to sticker the digipak :realmad:. I picked up a Queen A Night at the Opera MFSL at the Gilbert store that was in VG. I guess at the end of the day I rarely find CDs there that are anywhere near "collector condition."

9. Bad Samaritan

We must have been at opposite stores then. I ran back to the Mesa store at lunch today to pick up a few things I passed on previously. In the new arrivals bin, I found a cheap Laura Branigan S/T target and also quickly grabbed a Petty You're Gonna Get It MCA, hoping it was the SH mastering (it's not). Oh well.

They had a Hawkwind Sonic Attack Griffin CD that looked to be in well-cared for condition, but I searched and searched and couldn't find anything about it or whether it was worth the $40 price.

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I hit the FYEs tonight and scooped up a bunch of crap I wouldn't have bothered to pay $5 for at $2.50 a shot.

11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I used the half price sale to get the Talking Heads dualdisc Brick for less than $50.

12. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Just went to the FYE at Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax, VA--no 50% off all used sale; just the same tired, crappy, "Buy 2 used, get the 3rd for $1" that they've had for ages...and the same tired, crappy selection that they've had for ages. Even if the 50% off sale was in effect, I doubt I could've found more than one or two things I was interested in.

I'll try calling ahead, but does anyone know if the location in Gaithersburg, MD is running this sale? I've never been there before but it looks like a much bigger store to begin with, so I may stop there next weekend.

13. Bad Samaritan

The 50% off sale was a President's day/weekend sale, so you're a week late.

14. anthontherun

D'oh! Well, never mind. (Somehow I still get the feeling that the location I went to didn't participate. :) )

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I was at the Fair Oaks FYE about a year ago and turned up 6 or 8 decent titles. Haven't been back since then - I was right near there last night but didn't think it was worth the effort. I'd be much more willing to browse but they were REALLY reluctant to let me open the bags and inspect the CDs. The manager eventually relented, but he acted like he'd get fired if someone from corporate found out about it!

I have no clue why so many FYE employees act like they're breaking the law by opening those bags. Is it a minor hassle to reseal them? Sure, but how often do nerds like us make the request?

Every once in a while I go to an FYE where they have a "go for it" attitude - the guys at the Franklin Mills FYE were totally cool about it last year - but usually they act like they're defending the nation's prized possessions! :laugh:

16. anthontherun

If the manager is who I think it is, I've had some weird run-ins with him too. One time I found several copies of a new DVD, one of which had a significantly cheaper sale sticker than the others. Naturally I brought that one to to the register, and he looks at it for a second and asks, "This just came out, didn't it?" Then he goes over to where I found it and accuses me of trying to pull a fast one. I say that it's not my fault one copy was incorrectly labeled, and it's fine if he doesn't want to sell it but I won't pay the other price. He begrudgingly relents but is clearly still annoyed. Then as he hands the bag to me, his tone completely changes with a perky, "Sorry about all that!"

And I won't even get into how much of a pain he was when I was trying to get the Paul McCartney New cube last year. :sigh:

17. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Not a sale on music,but till Sat.(3/1/14) used TV box sets are buy one,the second for $1.Found a complete Hanna-Barbera Top Cat,marked "used" and crushed a bit,but I suspect it was original stock not returnable to Warner-that an Homicie:Life On the Streets 1&2 for $20 total.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.