I Love My FYE

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by japes, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Mine had a US Elektra Queen Greatest Hits....for 29.99. It's most likely still there.

2. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Would that be the Hempstead Turnpike location in Levittown? They do always seem to have a healthy selection of used stuff..

3. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

One of the stores here is going out of business and can't say I miss it too much. Nearly every visit ends up with me walking out without anything purchased.

4. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Most of "the Wall" store were absorbed by FYE. I remember "the Wall" when it
    was called "Wall to Wall Sound and Video". Thats a trip down memory lane
    to me adolescence. Most that I walked into had a pretty good collection of
    MFSL stuff. Before I even understood what MFSL was.

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Funny, I passed it yesterday and thought to myself, wondering if they've added a vinyl section as the best buy next door has

the Levittown best buy vinyl "section" however is scattered and lackluster... Head to the westbury best buy for for a grade A vinyl section, all the new releases you can name, I've come
    across great titles there.

6. japes

japes Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't know if I would consider the Westbury BB as "Grade A" for new vinyl but they do have the biggest selection among BBs in the area. If you really want Grade A for selection and prices you'd best off heading to Brooklyn or Greenwich Village.

7. japes

japes Senior Member Thread Starter

8. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

The one here in Concord Mall on 202 in Wilmington doesn't get many good CDs, but I did score some OOP Disney Tresury DVDs there like "Mickey Mouse In Color" and "The Complete Donald Vol. 1". I need to check with them next payday to see if they are hanging around.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I probably visit my local fye twice a year. They never have anything of interest anymore, never get imports anymore, and don't have any discounted or used music anymore.

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I like FYE because I like my music and movies to be cheap and used (like my women). Most recent good find was an old RCA copy of "Transformer". Only $2.99. One of my FYE's has even started carrying a nice little selection of vinyl. I picked up Lady Gaga for $9.99.

11. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I find FYE's to be just like almost every other store out there - they are all hit or miss. A lot of it depends on who is working at and running the particular store.

The one near me is pretty good. They don't get as much used stuff as they once did, (they downsized a couple of years ago), but I still often find a treasure or good bargain. And they will always let me inspect the used product before buying it first. The manager at my local one told me any store who wouldn't is just being lazy. Since they have to bag up all the stuff they buy used anyway, it's not too much of an issue to re-bag it again. Luckily, though, mine also seems to have pretty high standards for what they do buy back - where the only time I ever had found a disc to be in lousy shape was something their warehouse had sent to them, and not something they had purchased used from a customer, themselves.

True, sometimes their prices on new product is higher, but sometimes they're cheaper, too. When I went looking to buy the most recent Joe Perry album, they had it cheaper than any of the other stores around, and some online prices I saw it going for, too. Some of their stores have also instituted a $9.99 or $9.99/$12.99 pricing for all single disc releases they sell.

I say let 'em live as long as they can.

12. rolli

rolli Forum Resident

Many, of the FYE's in my area have instituted the $9.99 single disc pricing (fine print... this excludes any special editions). Just recently I picked up... Alan Parsons Project "Turn Of A Friendly Card", "I Robot" and "Eye In The Sky" (all remastered with bonus tracks). When I went to check out, the total didn't add up. Turns out, because "I Robot" and "Eye In The Sky" had the "anniversary edition" sticker (TOAFC does not), the $9.99 pricing did not apply (read the fine print).

I was curious so I talked to the manager, who was a pretty nice guy. I showed him "TOAFC" and asked why the other two titles were not priced the same. He seemed surprised and admitted it was a pricing error (someone a got a little to happy with new pricing stickers!). He explained the distributor dictates what they can price at $9.99. Supposedly, some distributor(s) had an issue with the new price drop and pulled their titles. He did not go into details... sounded like bs to me anyway.

As far as used stuff, it's been very hit an miss... more miss lately (well somebody did unload a bunch of T REX remasters though). Especially on back catalog.

13. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I found a Rolling Stones Hot Rocks SACD at FYE for $15.99. It was the last one I needed to complete the Stones SACD collection, (22 in all).

14. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

I found a DCC "Pet Sounds" in the used bin at my FYE today. Not in mint shape, but the price was right for $20! Once in awhile something cool pops up. That was probably my best score though....
    ------ Chris

15. zen

zen Senior Member

Me too. Things must be getting bad, when we miss FYE.

16. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I can't say i've had too much luck at FYE. I picked up a used ELO "Zoom" CD for about 5 bucks a while back. Good score considering it sells for 20 dollars used on Amazon. Not much else though.

17. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

I like when they have the 75% off clearance bins. Earlier this year, I nabbed many new discs for under $2 each, including 2 & 3-disc sets.

I've also traded many CDs & DVDs in & I always take the store credit (25% more) & use it on either fye.com or wherehouse.com, depending on who has the better sale. I find that fye.com's prices are usually lower than in the store, plus they offer free shipping. Wherehouse.com does have some nice sales now and again, such as 20% or 30% off with free shipping.

18. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

Oh, a few years ago I bought a used copy of Re-Flex's "The Politics Of Dancing" at fye for 7 bucks & sold it on eBay for over $60!

19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Ok, here's my first experience with fye.com:

On 10/29 I ordered the 4LP version of McCartney's new live set. Shortly thereafter, the "status" showed as "processing". On 12/3, my online bank statement showed the charge for that item had hit my account, yet the item still shows as "processing". So I went to their online policies and read this:
    Upon acceptance of your order, your credit card will be authorized for the full order amount but not charged. Once there is shipment confirmation, your credit card will be charged for only the shipped items including any prorated amounts for shipping and handling charges and any applicable taxes."​
    I filled out the online form and asked why I'd been charged if the item hadn't yet shipped. A few minutes later, I received an "automated response" that didn't answer my question (at all) and stated "This message has been auto-generated. No additional action will be taken. To avoid receiving another auto-response, please reply to this email and we will route your email to the best customer service consultant to assist you."

So I did as instructed, and replied to the email requesting clarification. Which I received. Twice. In the form of two more emails stating that "No additional action will be taken."

So I called their customer service number. Listened to all the options for what to do. Chose the "billing questions" and received a recorded message that directed me to go to their website and fill out the online form to get a response. Listened to all the listed options AGAIN and tried "Order Status" this time. Same thing, a recorded message directing me to fill out their online form (which I've already done three times, if you're counting at home).

Their voicemail menu did NOT list an option to speak with a customer service agent. But I hit "0" and - surprise - got put into an online queue to speak to a real live person.

When "Jeff" finally answered, he asked me to wait while he logged on to his system. This took at least a minute. Meanwhile, Jeff says "are you still there?" and I say "yes". Then he talks about how he had to hold for 40 minutes yesterday while assisting a Doctor with his FYE problem: "Just because you're a doctor doesn't mean you get to make people hold like that," Jeff wisely intoned...

End result: Jeff couldn't say why I'd been charged - the item is back-ordered. So do I want to cancel? No - because I want the item. Well, the only way to credit the account is to cancel the order...

He couldn't really seem to figure out how to escalate my problem, but said he'd send a note to "Corporate". I said I'd be very interested to hear why they charged me for an item they've never had, and I'll also be interested in hearing why their auto-responses seem to suffice for ALL customer inquries (both written and via telephone).

Barring a remarkable response from "Corporate", this will be my only order ever with FYE.com.

20. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Not a big fan, though hope springs eternal, so I scour the bins.

Last time I was there, I picked up a used Paul McCartney CD for six bucks; the clerk tilted her head and said, "Why does this guy's name sound so familiar?" I'm not making this up!

21. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I picked up Wings Greatest Hits cd for $6.99 and Miles Davis Kind of Blue this weekend for $5.99 used...I always liked the store at the Temecula Promenade Mall ....but Malls in general are not what they used to be....whatever happened to Camelot Records...they had a lot of imports back in the Vinyl days

22. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

FYE has been good to me as well.

When looking a few years back for Larry Walsh -Sinatra CD's, I found them at FYE still sealed at $5.99 each.

23. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

My big giant FYE is going out of business. Is this all of them or just here? I'm really sad to lose it! 20 to 50 percent off almost everything.

24. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I never find much in the downtown Chicago store (haven't been there in months, hope it's still there) . . but just having a big store to hunt through is exciting enough for me most days.

25. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Same here. I went back soon after this thread started and picked up about 30 used discs. Some great stuff! It just seems like one by one there all closing down. I'm gonna miss this store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.