I love this album...!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

...but I'm not sure many other people would...

I suppose this could be placed in another of our recurrent "guilty pleasures" threads, but actually, I don't feel all that guilty about **really** liking this record... it was one that I just threw on the turntable at a record store in which I used to work, sheerly due to the cover graphics, and the idea that if the concept of the LP was executed correctly, it might be kinda cool to have around.

Well, I'm pleased to say that it was, and it quickly became a favorite of mine... unfortunately, the beautiful stereo copy I had got lost in a move, and I only recently thought to turn to Ebay for a replacement.

And life is good-- I won a sealed copy this morning!!

This album will appeal to you most if you are (as we say) "of an age" to appreciate it... it sort of requires the type of cultural knowledge that "you really had to be there" to have absorbed... but if you love old TV, and love the sound of a big band that's reminiscent of Carl Stalling's classic Warner Brothers cartoon orchestra, this might be right up your alley!

I've attached a picture below-- anybody else have this on their "secret rotation" list??

Tell me I'm not the only one who sneaks the "Gillette Razor Blade Samba" onto his mix tapes!! :D

-Kevin

Attached Files:

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, no, not in the regular rotation...don't even have a copy...but it's the type of album that, if it turns up at a flea market or Salvation Army store and it's in good shape, gets added to the collection. That cover alone would have me sold on it; look at all those brand names! Kitsch of the highest order, I'm sure! I agree you have to be of a certain age, and understand the era a little, to enjoy it to the max. I've no doubt I could, I'm a sucker for such oddball ephemera....many collectors are:p

ED:cool:

3. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Ooh. Ooh. me want this.

Mott's Apple Sauce.

What is ENO on the bottom row? Ambience in a jar? :)

4. Joel Cairo

Not to mention the classic burbling "Maxwell House" coffee theme, which evidently imprinted itself permanently on my brain 40 years ago...! :)

-Kevin

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd love to hear that on Cee Dee!! Weee Doggies.:thumbsup: Doubt that will ever happen.:(

6. Joel Cairo

Here are the album's contents, courtesy of someone else that has a copy up on eBay right now (with a strange and different cover, I might add...)

As you might guess, each of the medleys are about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes long.

Side One

* Mr. Clean; Chase & Sanborn; Pepsodent
    * Budweiser; Yuban; Oasis
    * Ford; Martini and Rossi; Carling; Cities Service
    * Newport; Dust 'n' Wax; Barbasol
    * Robert Hall; Blatz; Blue Bonnet; KLM
    * Chesterfield; Listerine; Cutitone
    * Gillette; Merkel's
    * Ipana; Colombian Coffee; Cuticura; Wildroot

Side Two

* Schlitz; Kellogg's; L & M
    * Bon Ami Jet Spray; Carolina Rice; Marlboro
    * Pillsbury; Halo; Old Spice
    * Chiquita Banana; Beechnut Coffee
    * Parliament; Maxwell House; Betty Crocker; Kent
    * Brylcreem; Eno; Lestoil; Pabst
    * Doublemint; TWA; Eastman; Kodak; Ban
    * Northwest Orient; Adorn; Alpine; Fitch Shampoo; Falcon
    * Post; Dutch Masters; Mott's; Tetley

Very brassy, and very swingin'...

-Kevin

7. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Coffee from Columbia before Juan Valdez became the official spokesmodel.

Plenty of catchy tunes for cancer sticks. Don't get me started.

8. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

I love it!!!!

9. that lp reminds me of another one . . .

I have a various artists album that would probably sound great right alongside that one, it's called 'Dancing Beat Of The Latin Bands' and it has Juan Equivel and his orchestra playing "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" along with foley-track-like traffic noises.

RCA Living Stereo, wide pans left and right (probably all 3-track 15 ips), very dynamic, brassy and swinging. Also has performances by Xavier Cugat and Perez Prado.

Bought near-mint at a friends of the library booksale in Chattanooga.

10. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

The bubbling Maxwell House Theme was taken from a 1962 Pop Hit called "Percolator".

Pretty catchy tune, I admit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.