I made another short film - The Devil’s Temper

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by paulisme, Oct 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic Thread Starter

Last year I posted that I had made my first short film entitled “Badge” (I just made my first short film - Badge ). Well this year I’ve made another, entitled “The Devil’s Temper”, this one quite a bit darker than my first. It’s more in the Southern gothic/noir thriller genre. Let me know what you think!

Juan Matus and smilin ed like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cool...will watch it later with my wife...

paulisme likes this.
  3. paulisme

Awesome. Let me know what you think.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

will do.

5. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

6. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Interesting character piece. Are they actual brothers?

What camera were you using?

Great job keeping the work up. Keep at it. The audio work was well done.

I’m also a filmmaker. Curious about your equipment and workflow.

7. paulisme

Here's the equipment I used:

Camera
    Panasonic G85 body
    Sigma 18-35 f1.8 EF-mount lens
    Canon 50mm 1.8 lens
    Viltrox EF-M2 II focal reducer

Audio
    Zoom H4n Pro audio recorder (used built-in mics for dialogue inside the car)
    Rode NTG-2 shotgun mic
    Rode Blimp for outdoor audio

Editing
    DaVinci Resolve 15
    Manual color grading (no LUTs)

For syncing the audio and video, I lined up the WAVs from the camera's built-in microphone and the audio clips from the Zoom visually, then tweaked where necessary. Resolve's auto-sync didn't work for me at all, but the manual process wasn't as tedious as one would think. This was my first time using Resolve, so there was a bit of a learning curve, but with all the YouTube video tutorials and documentation it was easy to learn.

Also, I only had one other crew member to operate the boom pole while I shot the video myself. The only money I spent on the project was on equipment; the actors, crew and location owners all volunteered their time and efforts. I don't have a ton of money to spend on these things since there's really no way to make it back, so I write my scripts to be as contained with as few actors/locations as possible.

alexpop likes this.
  8. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

https://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-W67DDFX12-Digital-Diffusion-Filter/dp/B001U889RW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=digital+diffusion+fx&qid=1571897055&sprefix=digital+diffus&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1

Try this out on the Sigma. I just shot a short using this filter on every shot. It softens it up ever so slightly without losing any hard edges. It was my secret sauce. Plus an Atomos recorder. Magic happens in ProRes

I’ve never gone past the half. I could see myself picking up a 1 in the future.

I think you’ll like the results. And for whatever reason that 72mm is super cheap. I snagged a 82mm for this price a year or two ago.

All you need is a cheap step down ring to put it on the Canon 50mm.

9. paulisme

Thanks for the tip! Do you have a link to your short you could share?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.