DCC Archive I may get slammed for this, but ... "Best of Bread" on Rhino?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JPartyka, Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High Thread Starter

Yes, it's total wuss music, but Bread has always been a big-time guilty pleasure for me. Something about those pretty melodies and those strings ...

Anyway, would anyone admit to having listened to the Bill Inglot-remastered "Best of Bread" CD issued on Rhino in June, and be able to offer an opinion on the sound? I love my original LP, but this new version has 20 tracks ... t'anx.

2. I have the Bread Anthology CD. I don't know how it compares to the Rhino CD, but I can tell you this, the songs sound very good on the Anthology CD. Good dynamics, good soundstage with little digital grain. Their early hits sound especially good. This is probably due to the simple productiions.

Let me know how the Rhino CD sounds.

3. Jeff,

Well, now you have me wondering if Bread’s new CD is better from the Anthology CD. I’m going to have to buy the new CD and see which one sounds better.

By the way, if you like Bread you may want to buy The Carpenter’s “Love Songs” CD. I know that many people think that their songs are just “stupid love songs”, but you have to admit that Karen had a beautiful voice. The strange thing is that she always sounds sad, even on the upbeat songs. You have to feel sorry for her, she was never able to emotionally satisfied or happy.

4. JPartyka

Hey Johnny ...

Sorry!! ;-)

I used to have the Bread "Anthology" disc as well. I think you're right, it sounded pretty good, but I could never get over how "bass-light" it seemed compared to my original 1973 LP. I'm just curious about whether that's been rectified on the newest issue, or if it's been no-noised, compressed, blah blah, a la so many recent CD reissues.

As for the Carpenters ... no argument from me, Karen did have a beautiful voice and she did excel at conveying melancholy, even when that wasn't required! I don't have any Carpenters albums in my collection but I see at least one in my future. Thanks for the recommendation ...

5. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Although I still don't like the "Sound Produced By Bill Inglot" credit, I think the RHINO of Bread, America, Andrew Gold and Orleans are really good.

6. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Are all Rhino titles like that? I just got the America CD yesterday, so now I know what everyone is saying about how bass is traded off for the highs. It's pretty good actually, but just a bit thin and uninspiring sometimes. Well, maybe I'm being too picky considering the standard off-the-shelf-fare.

7. Mike

Mike New Member

I think the Bread sounds good and wouldn't consider them a guilty pleasure. David Gates was a heckuva songwriter. Human League - now that's what I call a guilty pleasure.

Mike

8. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

The original LP pressing sounds quite good, too.

9. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Stupid factoid...David Gates produced Beefheart's A&M material...his only "hip credential."

-D

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Jim Ricketts. 'Bout time you got here, boy!
    -------------------------------------------

Question: Didn't David Gates write some famous oldie? Can't remember which one...

11. JPartyka

Thanks for saying that!! I agree ... Gates is mighty talented ... he has a great falsetto voice too.

I just placed an order for the new Bread CD, so I can hear it for myself ... thanks for the comments all!

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I had the Rhino Bread CD and it sounds fantastic. I also approve of MOST of the work Inglot has been doing with the Warner catalog of late also.

13. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Wasn't it "Popsicles and Icicles" by the Murmaids?

Kym

:confused:

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I THINK SO, YES.

THANKS!!!

15. Another interesting David Gates factoid: he was the conductor/arranger for the old Glen Yarborough RCA hit single, "Baby, The Rain Must Fall", from the old Steve McQueen movie. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.