I miss old type horror films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll try to explain this as well as I can but my favorite type of horror films were the odl black and white (some color) actually non slsher/gore horror films

I loved the gothic mansions, the wind banging the shutters against the house, the loud thunderstorms, the power going out, the little things they did in the movies that had you anticipating and wondering what was going to happen

I feel like newer horror movies are all about gore and what creative kill can we think of next

Is there any newer type horror films that have that formula?

2. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Depending how "new" you're looking for, Nicole Kidman in "The Others" fits the bill (it's 2001). I'll try and think of others (no pun intended) - I'm drawing a blank on them.

3. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Check out the three films from Hex Media. Definite throwbacks.

melstapler and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I thought that was great when it came out. I really enjoyed the scriptwriting.

beccabear67 and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  5. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I refer to these as supernatural/gothic/macabre to distinguish them from slasher films, which have co-opted the word "horror."

Shawn likes this.
  6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Horror actually fits the slasher genre far better than the early supernatural type of films that were first referred to as horror.

7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Any of the early sixties Roger Corman Edgar Allen Poe films are right up your alley, and
    the best is "Pit And The Pendulum" from 1961. Scared the crap out of me when I was
    11 years old (in 1961) and it still is a shocker today, and Vincent Price is at the top of his game.
    Here's the infamous "pendulum" scene :

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I loved them too, but I also love new horror with CGI to the max better...

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great ghost story with a twist...very moody.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

You could try Dark Water, a Japanese horror film from 2002, which forgoes gore in favour of a more subtle, creeping psychological dread. There are elements of the haunted house genre, also.

Ignore the 2005 remake starring Jennifer Connolly. The Japanese original is much better.

11. Yes. The only thing I hated was that I figured out what was going on after about 20 minutes.

12. I actually think that "The Mask of The Red Death" is the best of the Price-Corman films.

13. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

The Innkeepers (2011) might go over the top for your tastes at the end but fits in nicely with a great buildup. And if you have a 5.1 system the mix adds to the unease - easily one of the best indie mixes I've heard.

I second Dark Water. There's a lot of J-Horror from that era that's creepy but this does rely more on atmosphere than the ghost aspect.

I'm sure del Toro's Crimson Peak has its fans but except for set design and cinematography I'm not one of them. A similar film for me is The Haunting ('99) - the DTS 6.1 mix on the DVD, done by Gary Rydstrom, is impeccable. Not a fan of the film, though, and doesn't hold a candle to the original.

I haven't seen it in 16 years, but del Toro (again) did The Devil's Backbone had nice chills. I notice it's rated R, so maybe someone else could chime in.

Happy movie watching - now I want to see a few of these again.

Mark

14. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Well, I hate to be the you-kids-get-off-my-lawn guy, but I agree. I grew up (early '60s) with Saturday night (and sometimes Saturday afternoon) creature features and science-fiction theaters and such, not to mention "Famous Monsters of Filmland" and The Munsters and The Addams Family and Aurora monster models and etc. and etc., so in-your-face gore and real slashers as opposed to fantasy monsters don't do it for me. Not saying all recent horror/sci-fi is bad, just not my cup of tea.
    (However, I'm pleased to admit that I'm not the you-kids-get-off-my-lawn guy when it comes to music: I still follow, purchase, and enjoy new bands.)

15. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Interesting, have never heard of this company. Looks creepy.

Wounded Land likes this.
  16. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I didn’t think much of Crimson Peak, either. Although, as you say, the production design was sumptuous.

The thing with Guillermo del Toro, his films are so often peppered with short, sharp moments of really quite nasty violence that may put the OP off, if he doesn’t appreciate gore. In particular, del Toro seems to revel in showing knife violence to the face. It’s up-close, personal, and something I myself find difficult to watch. I believe this kind of violence appears in both of his films that you mention, so I would recommend the OP to proceed with caution.

17. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Session Nine

unclefred likes this.
  18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Suspect today's audience doesn't appreciate the creepy subtlety - 'we want action, and we want it now!'

Ghostworld likes this.
  19. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Check out The Conjuring (2013). Mostly devoid of graphic violence as it's PG-13 but has jumps and scares aplenty along with atmospheric creepiness. Haven't seen the sequels so I can't vouch for them.

20. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

The Autopsy of Jane Doe
    The Woman In Black

andy749, RickH, wayneklein and 2 others like this.
  21. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Yeah, the new one Automata, looks creepy. The other three are very cerebral "gothic" type films. All have been crowd-funded and company is really starting to pick up steam. Gotta support well made independent horror cinema.

Wounded Land likes this.
  22. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Are today’s audiences open to the kind of moody, stylish horror films of old? Would Mario Bava even appeal to current viewers? I would hope so if they were to be given the opportunity.

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  23. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

For me...a horror movie is scary. A slasher movie involves violence and blood.

In the 80's...a whole bunch of low budget movies came out involving teenage kids in a remote location, usually a cabin, and the unknown picking them off one by one. Not particularly original, maybe... but I hold these in high regard as it's what I grew up on.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Bava's "Planet Of The Vampires" from 1965 is a remarkable sci/fi horror film, especially given the low
    budget he was given. Plus, it obviously inspired Ridley Scott's "space jockey" in the first "Alien" film,
    as this scene clearly shows:
    [​IMG]

25. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Try the new Winchester. It's about the endless construction of the (haunted)mansion built by the widow of the rifle manufacturer.
    Or, Oculus. Creepy mirror movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.